Sign in with
Your question

Looking for silent CPU cooler - considering TT Golden Orb II

Last response: in Overclocking
September 10, 2006 3:10:50 AM

I'm looking for a silent cooler for my AM2 X2 4000+. I really like the looks of the Golden Orb II from ThermalTake. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/cooler/retail/cl-...

According to TT's website, this will work with AM2 chips, but other websites don't list it as compatible. Will it work?

I'm also open to suggestions on silent CPU coolers. Looks are not a huge deal, more performance/noise. Thanks.
September 11, 2006 2:30:19 PM

Thanks, I'll do some more shopping around this week and then decide. The reason I'm asking opinions on silent coolers is because you read so much on how quiet a cooler is then you read a review that says one brand that was rated to be louder is actually quieter, etc.
Related resources
September 11, 2006 3:06:19 PM

Just pointing out that the link to the TT website you provided doesn't say it will fit AM2 anywhere. I may be missing it but you may want to double check if you are going to go with the Golden Orb II.
a c 473 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2006 8:50:15 PM

Quote:
You are correct. I was going off of this page from TT's website:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Cooler/CPUCoolers...

sorry for the confusion there.

If you really want a silent HSF solution, then you should seriously consider the Scythe Infinity. You do not need to use the fan, unless you overclock the CPU. Without the fan it is absolutely silent. Other cooling solutions with fans are merely quiet, not silent.
September 13, 2006 2:47:16 PM

Would there be anything special I would need to do for this to work without a fan right on the heatsink? I would probably need to use a good thermal compund like Artic Silver?
September 14, 2006 6:53:40 PM

I'm sure the thermal paste/pad that comes with the Infinity will work just fine.

Also make sure the Infinity will fit your case.
September 15, 2006 3:48:09 PM

After doing some more research, I went with the Scythe. Thanks for the help guys.
September 17, 2006 7:28:14 AM

go check spcr (silentpcreview) for truly silent coolers. infinity if mighty fine, ninja also, generally - scythes are one of the very best coolers you might get - both in terms of performance and silence.
September 19, 2006 3:31:48 AM

I got the Infinity today and installed the beast. Fanless, it keeps my temps the same at idle as the stock cooler. At load, the temps i get are slightly higher, but nothing to worry about at all. I recommend it to anyone who has the room!
September 19, 2006 3:36:06 AM

I recommend Water Cooling....

Ohh for air...

Who needs silent when your air cooling? It should sound like a TURBINE is reving up next to your PC!

TURBINES TURN ON THE WOMEN!

Ok, time for work...

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c14/s220/list/p1/Ai...

Thats almost every option you got...

So lets list them...
---------------------
Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Thermaltake Mini Typhoon Value Back Universal CPU Cooler w/ Dual 50mm LED Side Fans

Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX 5 in 1 CPU Cooler w/ Heatpipe Cooling Technology

Thermalright SI-97A Aluminum Heatpipe CPU Cooler (AMD)

Thermalright HR-01

Thermalright Ultra-90

and

Koolance CPU-300 and CPU-305
-------------------------------------

Now the universals

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c14/s45/list/p1/Air...

AeroCool Dominator Triple Heatpipe Heatsink w/ 140mm Fan (Pentium 4 S775 & S478/ AMD 64 & XP 3600+)

AeroCool High Tower HT-101 JR Heatsink (Pentium 4 / Athlon XP / AMD 64)

Cooler Master Hyper 48 (KHC-L91-U1) CPU Cooler - Pentium 4 and AMD K8

Cooler Master Hyper 6+ CPU Cooler - Universal Mounting (RR-UNH-P0U1)

Scythe "Katana CU" Dual Heat Pipe All Copper CPU Cooler (SCKTN-CU1000)

Scythe "Katana" Dual Heat Pipe CPU Cooler (SCKTN-1000)

Scythe "Mine" Heat Pipe CPU Cooler (SCMN-1000)

Scythe "Ninja" Heat Pipe CPU Cooler (SCNJ-1000P)

Scythe "Samurai Z" Dual Heat Pipe CPU Cooler (SCSMZ-1000)

----------------------------------
Now let the elimination begin!

I tried to get all the ones that definately wont fit... but I may have missed some... I would have gone through and read the noise outputs, then reduce the list down... but its time for bed...

I hope this helps! This is what I do...

Then I go through and slowly pick them out... Price, Height, Noise... Then lastly Reviews, and well if you must Forum users... But we are not always objective or upto date... Its also good to own a subscription to Maximum PC... plus its a GREAT read.

Mike
!