rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I just put to together my new build and had no problems getting it to post. I installed windows but in windows i can see my dvd drive but it wont read any cds or dvds at all. i had no problem getting it to read the install disk but now when i put it back in it goes straight to windows even though i have it set to look at the cd/dvd before the hard drive. cant figureout why in windows my dvd drive wouldnt work at all and now after my windows install i cant boot from disc. i reset my bios and went back and set the order again checked my connections and i cant figure this out

e6300
p5b deluxe
1 gb crucial ballistix 667
samsung sh-s182 dvd writer
wd 500 gb sata drive

strange, it could have died on you - does the bios see the drive at all? I would try throwing a junker cd drive to see if that one works - standalone and in master / slave or cable select jumper combos with the new drive. Maybe try in another PC as well in the same fashion?

All my stuff dies as soon as the warranty runs out :x at least you can rma it without difficulty :)

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
bios and windows both recognize it...it was alwys able to boot from disc but now it doesnt...it never was able to be read in windows...id put a disc in and itd just spin

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
firmware update sees the device and says that its the wrong version firmware for that device although i know i tried the right one. i havent been able to install any of my drivers off the cds because it hasnt worked yet in windows. not since the install

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
This is a long shot but it could be the answer,

Unplug and re-plug the IDE cable.

I've seen this happen on my own machines. I switch hard drives a lot on some of my systems, meaning I pull on the cable to unplug the CD/DVD/Hard Hard and plug another hard drive (most commonly). I've seen the problem you describe when inadvertently I did not push the IDE connector fully (the innermost edge is not fully inserted), the other times I have seen this happen is, from the many times I've pulled on a given cable some of the lines no longer make contact with the connector, in that case the device behaves erratically.

In other words, either the cable is not well seated (causing the problem) or the cable itself is now bad. Of course, there is always the possibility that your device simply went bad (which you can determine easily by installing it in another computer and see what happens)

HTH.