Xbox 360 or Quad core ?

data-freak

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Lo there..

simple quastion actually its dumb.. How does the xbox 360 compare to todays pc's and graphics ? should i spent the money on a xbox 360 or spent it on a nice quad core pc in christmas time ?

AMD X2 3800+ (2.8ghz)
2gb Kingston Mem
XFX 7900 GT
80GB Sata 2
200GB Sata 2
Gigabyte Poseidon case
Gigabyte Watercooled.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Lo there..

simple quastion actually its dumb.. How does the xbox 360 compare to todays pc's and graphics ? should i spent the money on a xbox 360 or spent it on a nice quad core pc in christmas time ?

AMD X2 3800+ (2.8ghz)
2gb Kingston Mem
XFX 7900 GT
80GB Sata 2
200GB Sata 2
Gigabyte Poseidon case
Gigabyte Watercooled.

There is one main problem with your question to begin with. You cannot get a good pc gaming rig for the price of an xbox 360. Granted if you straight upgrade form the system you show listed, which if you wanted a quad core chip i.e. "kentsfield" you couldn't do only AMDs 4x4 which is a dual cpu setup form what I understand. If you were going to go to a real quad core then you will have to at least replace the mobo and chip and that alone will most likely run you close to the price of an xbox 360.

There was another thread a month or so ago about which is better console or pc and this is basically the same question. The 2 are mutually exclusive for the most part. Console gaming and pc gaming are like apples and oranges it is difficult to compare the 2 fairly. You have to ask yourself what you want to play console games or pc games, yes they have crossover games, but the experience is fundamentally different because of the hardware.

The last post from caboose-1 one says go for the pc which is correct if you want to play pc games but if you want to play console games get the console. No one here can give you a correct answer either way without bias you just have to ask yourself what do you want. Frankly with the pc you have you can probally play pc games just fine but it can always be better, just as you probally have an xbox but with an xbox360 it can be bettter.

And no one even bring up vista or DX10 since if he is wondering about a upgraded pc or an xbox360 I doubt he is worried about Vista since moving to vista and DX10 will cost much more than the price of an xbox360.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
right now i have both a 360 and a nice gaming computer and i really dont see upgrading as of yet personally because my computer can run all the newer games at high settings so i went ahead and spent the money on the 360 so i could play those games that are exclusive to console that i like alot. right now im just screwing around modding it since my pc is already cracked out as it is but i like them both equally as much and wouldnt want to give up either of them.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Get the PC, but quad-core isn't going to make squat difference to your gaming unless you like ripping DVDs, encoding APE and running lots of spyware at the same time as you play.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
This is a funny question really, with the implementation of HD gaming in Xbox360 and upcoming PS3, the PC as a gaming platform will diminish some. The advantage of the PC over console was the resolution and flexibility, this is gap is disappearing rapidly.

If gaming is your only gig, it is becoming less sensible to go PC as the costs to put together a PC-gaming worthy system is in excess of 1000 bucks, while the consoles are around 300-600 (including PS3 pricing).

Jack

Jack hit the nail on the head, yet again! My view is that if you have the cash and you want bleeding edge techonolgy then get a PC. But if all you want to do is play some games, whether multiplayer or single player, get an xbox360. I was suprised at how good Live actually is, puts many pc games online server browsers to shame!

My advice if you just want to game, get a 360 and a Wii. Don't bother with a PS3, far too expensive for far too little benefit over a 360.

dverduzco10

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
The Best thing about having an XBOX 360 is the HD games. When you have a big screen TV playing Madden 07 its like being Ben Affleck at a strip club.

The only problem I have with the XBOX 360 is playing FPS. I grew up fragging with a keyboard and mouse back when DOOM came out, and I can't get use to a controller for games like HALO 2.

Conclusion: If you have a nice HDTV then drop the money on the XBOX 360 otherwise keep dumping money like the rest of us in our gaming rigs.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
This is a funny question really, with the implementation of HD gaming in Xbox360 and upcoming PS3, the PC as a gaming platform will diminish some. The advantage of the PC over console was the resolution and flexibility, this is gap is disappearing rapidly.

If gaming is your only gig, it is becoming less sensible to go PC as the costs to put together a PC-gaming worthy system is in excess of 1000 bucks, while the consoles are around 300-600 (including PS3 pricing).

Jack

You´re forgetting something though. Most people need a PC to work, to do their homework or just to surf the internet. If they have to buy a PC anyway (costing around 600$), why not invest another 300$ into it so it can be used for gaming instead of buying a xbobx?
In addition, while most parents like buying toys for their kids (xbox, ps3), ALL parents want their kids smart, and getting them to use a PC to gain some computer skills still looks like a way to achieve that - at least to an average parent. The kids have a totally different idea of what to do with that machine though... :lol:

symbi0nt

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Replace the 7900GT with a budget 7600GT, drop the expensive water cooling, and grab a 360 as well if you ask me..

That's pretty much what I did actually.

Corksil

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Replace the 7900GT with a budget 7600GT, drop the expensive water cooling, and grab a 360 as well if you ask me..

Pure genious, our friend here took the words right out of my mouth, how clever, yet so swift. Get both. If you don't have the money get a job. If you have a job, get another. :D

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Lo there..

AMD X2 3800+ (2.8ghz)
2gb Kingston Mem
XFX 7900 GT
80GB Sata 2
200GB Sata 2
Gigabyte Poseidon case
Gigabyte Watercooled.
I assume you already own such a system, since you're talking here about buying a quad core.
If so, i'd say that your PC is good enough for the current generation of games, and i'd have no doubt and buy an Xbox 360 (or perhaps a Wii).

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The only consoles I've ever owned are all by Nintendo, the NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, N64, GameCube... because I consider Nintendo the cheap fun console for playing silly games with my friends.

My computer however, is for when I seriously want to game and everything else in my life. If I had the option of getting an XBOX 360 or a computer, I would obviously chose the computer, because it can be used for so much more. If I need to wirelessly stream music around, if I want to be able to watch movies anywhere in my house, if I want to play games with all the eye candy. It would be a lot more expensive, but most games I play on the XBOX I can play on computer. Plus, MMORPG's... I want to see someone play WoW on the XBOX 360 =P

I like versatility. I would rather pay more for an all-in-one system than pay for individual things. Especially since space is an issue also...

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The Best thing about having an XBOX 360 is the HD games. When you have a big screen TV playing Madden 07 its like being Ben Affleck at a strip club.

The only problem I have with the XBOX 360 is playing FPS. I grew up fragging with a keyboard and mouse back when DOOM came out, and I can't get use to a controller for games like HALO 2.

Conclusion: If you have a nice HDTV then drop the money on the XBOX 360 otherwise keep dumping money like the rest of us in our gaming rigs.

For those fo you who have played FPSs on a console, can you please compare the gameplay to a computer? I grew up playing on a keyboard and mouse, starting from Duke Nukem 3D, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, and Doom 2. I love the mouse and keyboard. I played Halo no the Xbox once, and did not like the control, although I did not play much. It is obviously cheaper to get a computer, but if you learn the control, is it ok to play FPSs? I am thinking of getting a Xbox in the future if the control is good to play FPSs.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I hate FPS on consoles, could never get the hang of it. I would place bets that between 2 people of the same skill level playing a FPS with one on a console and one on a computer, the computer guy would decisevly kick the other guys butt.

Also, I'm waiting for 1080p projectors to come down to almost normal prices, and then we can see whats better, your 5x" HDTV or my 1xx" projector screen.

australia

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
One big advantage of console is that you know that when you put the CD into the drive tray its going to work and you dotn have to worry about how good your GPU is or how much RAM you have. Another advantage is that if you play online with consoles the only advantage someone is going to have over you hardware wise is internet connection and widescreen.

I have friend whos computer is upgraded to stay top of the line. He has 3 WD 150GB raptors in a RAID 0 stripe and 2 GB of the best OCZ Ram he could buy at the time. Couple that with his ultra fast internet connection and in COD2 he will load maps 20secs faster than your average gamer.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Consoles may have HD gaming... but my PC has XHD gaming. Sorry but no HDTV comes close to the resolutions that is possible on my computer.

The screen may be bigger... but it doesn't mean the resolution is better
The 50" Samsung DLP uses a resolution of 1280 x 720, my computer with a single graphics solution and a 22" monitor uses a native resolution of 1680x1050, and that's on the smaller end of the spectrum... what with Dells 24" and Apples 30" supporting much higher resolutions.

Imagine combining 2 of those monitors... or 3 with the triplehead connector. Now that's serious gaming.

kinneer

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
For gaming I would recommend getting the X360. Why ? Well, a quad core is nice but PC games does not yet make use of dual core, let alone quad core. If you are expecting games support for the quad core, it will not happen soon where as all XBOX games make use of its hardware.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I love my 360. Oh and dont worry about all the crappy pc ports since the 360's launch. They are just that.....crappy ports which werent designed for it. When the exclusives hit the pc will have a hard time keeping up. Just play PGR3, kameo, dead rising, burnout revenge, fight night round 3, geometry wars, street fighter 2, and eventually halo 3, forza 2, and an endless list of good games yet to be released. None of these are on the pc.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
None of them sound too tempting either.

The PC will pull ahead of the 360... just as it has done with all consoles. In a few years you will be quite a bit behind PC's standards... and than this argument will happen again with the xbox1080

BTW my friend James Linell lives in Lloydminister...

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
For gaming I would recommend getting the X360. Why ? Well, a quad core is nice but PC games does not yet make use of dual core, let alone quad core. If you are expecting games support for the quad core, it will not happen soon where as all XBOX games make use of its hardware.

well thats not really true.. all xbox games dont make full use of the systems hardware. anytime you read about a developer for a console, they always say that they havent mastered programming for the console till the end of its lifespan. so right now games are probly only usin 20 - 30 % of the 360's capabilities.

@the guy who said you need $600 computer anyway for business or work and may as well throw 300 more at it to make a gaming rig.. you can get a comp for work for about 100 - 200, -- older comp on ebay or cheapo special at a retail store.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Jack

Jack hit the nail on the head, yet again! My view is that if you have the cash and you want bleeding edge techonolgy then get a PC. But if all you want to do is play some games, whether multiplayer or single player, get an xbox360. I was suprised at how good Live actually is, puts many pc games online server browsers to shame!

My advice if you just want to game, get a 360 and a Wii. Don't bother with a PS3, far too expensive for far too little benefit over a 360.

I absolutely despise and dread playing FPS & Strategy games on a console, the controls are horrendous. Keyboard and Mouse is by far the best controls for FPS and strategy games. That being said I MUCH preffer playing Racing & Sport games on a console as I find the gamepads to be much more responsive and less configuration is needed to get 'em working (calibrated).

My 2 cents.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Have you played any of the games I listed....? You cant even get a good racer on the pc and I listed 2 amazing ones out already for the 360. How many times have you and your drunk buddies sat down together for a good shit-talking session playing games on your single pc(although I'll admit LAN starcraft/warcraft 3 is just as good)? My 360 has NEVER crashed on me in the time I've had it. Never had to do a driver update. Seamless online plsy that just works. No upgrades. No hassles. PC gaming is fun but there just arent enough titles out there to warrent upgrading as often as you need to. You should check out the next gen tony hawk, gears of war, GTA, FIFA, Halo 3, ect.... PC gaming seems to be about upgrading for that next 1 big game coming out and then when it finally hits, playing it till time's end. Only games I still play for he pc are CS: Source, starcraft, Warcraft 3, and....well thats about it. Not bashing the pc but it's just got boring these past couple of years.

Oh and sry dont know your friend. Maybe spud does.....

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
All the games you just mentioned I have played. Kameo while graphically impressive was a total bore compared to other classic platformers I have played.
I thought it was amazing, especially considering it was a launch title.

Fight night was cool but got old quick. How hard is it anyway to make characters in a game look great when all they have to do is fight in a ring?
Well it's probably not that hard but it's still fun as hell and not on the pc....
The other games you mentioned are nothing special in terms of graphics or gameplay.
I added some more to the list in my next post, so check it out. I dare you to come out with a better list of games for the pc that have been put out in the past year. If they existed I'd proably have played them.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
None of them sound too tempting either.

The PC will pull ahead of the 360... just as it has done with all consoles. In a few years you will be quite a bit behind PC's standards... and than this argument will happen again with the xbox1080

BTW my friend James Linell lives in Lloydminister...

Oh please...........the PC is already ahead of the 360 and it will only continue to get farther and farther ahead as better hardware becomes availible for it.

My PC as listed pisses all over the 360

X2 4800@2.7ghz
X1900XT@ 730core 832mem
2gig DDR 400mem at 450mhz

It can piss all over the xbox, ps2 and gamecube too but that doesnt mean they dont have 100's of games you cant play on it :lol: