Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trouble installing Windows 7/Vista - Diagnosis Needed

Last response: in Windows 7
April 1, 2009 3:34:17 AM

I am having trouble installing Windows 7 & Vista. XP Pro works fine.

On Windows 7, it installs really slowly, and then eventually (on the last item, I believe it says configuring) it says that Windows 7 is unable to configure for your software.

Windows Vista just hangs on setup.

My setup is as follows:

Gigabyte P35 775 Mobo (just RMA'd for no post, happened when I tried to update the bios)
Intel e6300 @1.86ghz (tested, overclocked, confirmed good)
Corsair Dominator DDR2 (tested, confirmed good)
SATA HDD
BFG 8800GT OC

The video card I think may be the problem, but would that cause the system to halt on install? The stupid sticker flew off of the fan a while ago, and jammed it. By the time I realized what was going on (after several gpu overheats and crashes) the card was producing artifacts on certain videos in windows (but nothing strange in directx). I have an RMA number, and am going to send it in regardless, but I want to cofirm that this is likely the problem with these Windows installation attempts. Thanks!
April 1, 2009 4:34:18 PM

First of all if you're using this computer of yours as an everyday pc, i wouldn't do windows 7 because it's a BETA, and there's all these lil ticks here and there, and eventually as of august 09' you're going to have to install another OS becasue they're shuting it down. I personnaly installed it on a celeron 1.6(laptop) took a while but installed flawlessly. If you really want Windows 7 install a previous OS first, such as; xp, since you're having problems with vista :kaola:  then try installing 7 from desktop. But honestly with your system configuration, i wouldn't do vista, i tried it personnaly and it sucks. uses to much ressources for nothing. Especially i do massive gaming and i see no point in using directx 10, i use xp pro sp3 and has been working flawlessly since ever..

As for your graphics card no need to RMA it, at lease not right now :pt1cable: . I actually had a buddy who had a 9600gt and the sticker came out as well and got stuck in the card...he had to remove the heatsink and McGyver it. He was starting to see artifacts as well. He eventually sold it,lol (was pretty bad too) because that use to be my card and i never had problems. but if your card is in decent temps like mid 40's idle and it shouldn't really go in 60's but GPU's can sustained hot temps fairly good..

All in all, try installing Xp pro. fresh drivers for everything update bios. then try Window's 7.. scratch Vista :non:  especically since windows 7 is going to come out soon enough..

Cheers..

Dan.
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2009 7:13:03 PM

what are your hdd's set to in bios, ide compatability or ahci mode. I found terrible problems with ahci, changed to ide mode and it was fine.
Related resources
April 1, 2009 9:56:07 PM

It's not my only computer, it would probably be my 3rd option after my laptop and other computer. I believe they are in compatibility mode, I'm not completely sure, but I believe that's the default on these Gigabyte P35 boards. I RMA'd the video card, hopefully that will fix it.

Even though Windows 7 is a beta, it still (from what I've seen/heard) is a lot better than Vista, and with the intent of using this at a HTPC I was going to give it a shot.
April 2, 2009 3:37:31 AM

Yeah for sure no doubt better than Vista..uses wayyy less ressources. I mean on a celeron 1.6 with only 512 ram not even minimum system requirement..but sure man whatever floats your boat man..As for me i still prefert the XP simplicity far more simpler to get around. But if you're used to Vista already no problem because 7 is pretty much Vista... but no doubt will try the full OS when it comes out

Cheers..

Dan
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2009 1:02:45 PM

just wondering whether its the sata port issue? are you plugging the hard drive into sata_0 ?
April 2, 2009 4:24:45 PM

Yeah, the HDD is on SATA-0. I tried unplugging all the things I wasn't using (second DVD drive, second HDD, USB mouse/keyboard) and using just a ps/2 mouse and keyboard, and it seemed to work a little bit better, but still error "configuring your system." I sent to video card back to BFG to be fixed (it needed to be sent off anyway) so we'll see shortly I suppose. I really just wanted to know if Windows 7 or Vista checks your video card for errors/performance while installing.
April 7, 2009 8:59:11 PM

Yes it does check you card. My installation actually wen on the net and found drivers that would work for it. Most Vista drivers work, but Nvida has beta drivers out specifically for Win7. I would be sure to do a full format on your hd/partition that you are installing on. Also i found that the usb installation was way easier than disc, but that may just be me.

I also agree that you dont use it as your main pc (as i say not as i do). It is a Beta- and nomatter what build you have, it too will end and you'll have to buy your own. :)  Do try Win7 you will like it and with that card you will be able to enjoy all the shiny stuff too :p 
April 12, 2009 4:07:54 AM

Well, I got my video card back and had the same error. Do you think that plugging the PC into the network would help (and allow it to find updated drivers)? It's weird, I've don't really understand it. All of my hardware is pretty standard.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Mobo
BFG Tech 8800GT OC
Corsair Dominator 2GB 1066mhz (I tried running it at 800mhz)
Standard SATA HDD (I have thought about trying a different HDD)
Antec Earthwatts 380W

I've tried it with USB peripherals, no USB peripherals, just basics, no dice. Any tips?
April 12, 2009 4:08:38 AM

And I've also not been able to install Vista with this setup, only XP works. The CPU is a C2D e6300.
April 12, 2009 4:00:47 PM

Taylort232 -

Yes do let Win7 update automaticaly through you network connection. It will find any drivers that MS has for your hardware. Also make sure you have the latest bios for your mobo.

Your mobo specs

To enable hot plug capability for the SATA connectors controlled by the ICH9 South Bridge, you must install Windows Vista (on ICH9, hot plug is supported in Windows Vista only) and configure the SATA connectors for AHCI mode. (Refer to manual Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Integrated Peripherals," for details on enabling AHCI.)

That was listed in remarks for your mobo, check the link to verify. That very well may be the problem. All my SATA drivers were loaded for my upon installation. I did however set my bios for this in advanced.
April 12, 2009 11:56:56 PM

Tried installing with network/internet connectivity, no dice.
Tried installing with AHCI installed, no dice.
Tried a different SATA HDD, no dice.

It hangs on the last step, and the install and reboot, and gives the following error:

"Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."
August 11, 2009 2:04:49 PM

I have a GPU fan issue on my NVidia 7950 GT, and since this has presented, both setup programs for Windows Server 2008 (which is currently installed), and Windows 7, both hang, eventually causing on-screen artifacts and the acrid smell of hot components from inside the chassis.

If I hold my hand close to the poor GPU I can feel the heat.

Now, I play online games, at 150fps, for HOURS, and I seldom (although, admittedly, sometimes) experience on-screen artifacts (usually snow), and I know it's time to shut down.

But, if great Uncle Microsoft is listening, there's a possibility that Windows setup's GPU discovery routines will melt a less-than-factory-perfect GPU.

CAVEAT INSTALLOR

And no, I won't be able to use my perfectly-good-for-everything-else graphics card with a perfectly ordinary OS installer. Duh.

August 13, 2009 1:42:00 AM

Well James ... I'm not sure what you need/and-or, are requesting. I've found that windows 7 has been completely stable with nVidia and radeon cards ... If I do come across any problems, it's usually with SLI or Catalyst. I've tested every beta upto and with the current RTM, and have no problems with GPU discovery.
M$ has integraded a awesome program to help with troubleshooting. You can look here for a short tutorial :-) <--- shut up and click here

If you could, feel free to go through the Problem Steps Recorder (PSR.exe), and we can try to see what the problem seems to be.

GH/GG -- hope to see you @ 150 fps ;-)
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2009 8:02:57 AM

I have the same problem installing Windows 7 on my Windows hard drive. Tried everything i can, failed without a solution.
I guess now what i can suspect is that your version of Windows may be the cause of the problem. Recently i found out that for my System to work with Windows 7 ultimate(That i try) requires supported upgrade from the current system, which should also be vista ultimate.
I'm using Home premium Vista with *** load of ram and bang bullshit, nothing works same problem in the final instance of the installation.
I/You can only upgrade to 7 Home premium, unless you upgrade your windows version to an ultimate first.
If that doesn't work, try doing a clean install.

I'm sorry dude i haven't tried the First upgrade to Vista ultimate before 7 ultimate, or doing a 7 home premium upgrade or dual boot which i can only assume would work.
I can only suspect your problem is because of the O.S just like mine..
So give it a try..
And also NOTE: Vista home basic can also allow you(for most models) to upgrade directly to 7 ultimate....
February 16, 2010 4:13:54 PM

St-OwNed said:
Well James ... I'm not sure what you need/and-or, are requesting. I've found that windows 7 has been completely stable with nVidia and radeon cards ... If I do come across any problems, it's usually with SLI or Catalyst. I've tested every beta upto and with the current RTM, and have no problems with GPU discovery.
M$ has integraded a awesome program to help with troubleshooting. You can look here for a short tutorial :-) <--- shut up and click here

If you could, feel free to go through the Problem Steps Recorder (PSR.exe), and we can try to see what the problem seems to be.

GH/GG -- hope to see you @ 150 fps ;-)

The troubleshooting program you mention is a feature of Windows 7. How the hell that's supposed to be any help to someone who can't install 7 is beyond me.
February 16, 2010 4:57:02 PM

Someone, please close this thread
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2010 3:20:47 AM

Necropost!
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 18, 2010 4:06:58 AM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
!