Help? - HP 6540 Borderless page length error

I just purchased an HP 6540. My main attraction was its ability to
print borderless and it's inexpensive cost at Costco.

I am trying to print some brochures at 8.5 x 11. I created the
brochures in Powerpoint 2003. In PP, the page size is set at 8.5 x
11. If I look at the rulers, the page is 11" long. If I look at the
print preview, the page fits the page. I measured the paper, and it
is 11" long. But when it prints, the printed page is truncated by
about .25".

It is set to borderless photo printing, using "Other photo paper".
The paper is Hamilton 32 lb Business Glossy 8.5 x 11. I have tried
using borderless fit to page and fit to page on and off. I have
tried both best and normal print quality settings. It comes out the
same each time.

Is this Powerpoint's problem, or the printer's? I'm probably going to
move the file to MS Pub and see how that goes. But I don't understand
what's wrong here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Thomas

P.S. I've also noticed that the black is not really black and colors
seem a little washed out, but this is not the case with the test
page. The test page looks awesome. Very clear and sharp and good
color quality as far as I'm concerned. So I'm assuming this problem
has to do with Powerpoint. Is there anything I can do to improve
quality here?

bill

Wildfire563 wrote:

>I just purchased an HP 6540. My main attraction was its ability to
>print borderless and it's inexpensive cost at Costco.
>
>I am trying to print some brochures at 8.5 x 11. I created the
>brochures in Powerpoint 2003. In PP, the page size is set at 8.5 x
>11. If I look at the rulers, the page is 11" long. If I look at the
>print preview, the page fits the page. I measured the paper, and it
>is 11" long. But when it prints, the printed page is truncated by
>about .25".
>
>It is set to borderless photo printing, using "Other photo paper".
>The paper is Hamilton 32 lb Business Glossy 8.5 x 11. I have tried
>using borderless fit to page and fit to page on and off. I have
>tried both best and normal print quality settings. It comes out the
>same each time.
>
>Is this Powerpoint's problem, or the printer's? I'm probably going to
>move the file to MS Pub and see how that goes. But I don't understand
>what's wrong here.

This is just a wild guess, but I'd say it's PowerPoint's problem and
it's using the minimum page size that the HP 6540 uses for plain paper,
so it fits the page to the bottom "edge".

I have the 6540 too, and it prints 8.5x11 borderless photos in it's own
photo app as well as Photoshop. I don't use PowerPoint so I can't try it
here unfortunately.

>P.S. I've also noticed that the black is not really black and colors
>seem a little washed out, but this is not the case with the test
>page. The test page looks awesome. Very clear and sharp and good
>color quality as far as I'm concerned. So I'm assuming this problem
>has to do with Powerpoint. Is there anything I can do to improve
>quality here?

PowerPoint is probably using some other ICC colour profile. See if you
can alter its colour profile to use one of the standards like sRGB or
similar.

As a point of reference, I've used the HP photo printing app with all
default settings, and I get beautiful results. Albeit that's on HP photo
paper.

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message
> Wildfire563 wrote:
>
> >I just purchased an HP 6540. My main attraction was its ability to
> >print borderless and it's inexpensive cost at Costco.
> >
> >I am trying to print some brochures at 8.5 x 11. I created the
> >brochures in Powerpoint 2003. In PP, the page size is set at 8.5 x
> >11. If I look at the rulers, the page is 11" long. If I look at the
> >print preview, the page fits the page. I measured the paper, and it
> >is 11" long. But when it prints, the printed page is truncated by
> >about .25".
> >
> >It is set to borderless photo printing, using "Other photo paper".
> >The paper is Hamilton 32 lb Business Glossy 8.5 x 11. I have tried
> >using borderless fit to page and fit to page on and off. I have
> >tried both best and normal print quality settings. It comes out the
> >same each time.
> >
> >Is this Powerpoint's problem, or the printer's? I'm probably going to
> >move the file to MS Pub and see how that goes. But I don't understand
> >what's wrong here.
>
> This is just a wild guess, but I'd say it's PowerPoint's problem and
> it's using the minimum page size that the HP 6540 uses for plain paper,
> so it fits the page to the bottom "edge".
>
> I have the 6540 too, and it prints 8.5x11 borderless photos in it's own
> photo app as well as Photoshop. I don't use PowerPoint so I can't try it
> here unfortunately.
>
> >P.S. I've also noticed that the black is not really black and colors
> >seem a little washed out, but this is not the case with the test
> >page. The test page looks awesome. Very clear and sharp and good
> >color quality as far as I'm concerned. So I'm assuming this problem
> >has to do with Powerpoint. Is there anything I can do to improve
> >quality here?
>
> PowerPoint is probably using some other ICC colour profile. See if you
> can alter its colour profile to use one of the standards like sRGB or
> similar.
>
> As a point of reference, I've used the HP photo printing app with all
> default settings, and I get beautiful results. Albeit that's on HP photo
> paper.

FWIW:
This is not unexpected. The graphics performance of **all** of the
Micro$loth Orifice programs is ... in a word that can be repeated in mixed
company ... terrible. Not printing to the edge of the page, and terrible
color shifts are pretty much "par for the course." Unfortunately, using
Micro$cum Pub$lasher will (IMHO) probably not provide a significant
improvement. However, if it's all you've got, it's worth a try. It does
appear to have a better setup for printer control.

My "first choice" for a work-around would be to use a program that actually
understands graphics, such as anything by Adobe or Corel, instead of any of
the M$ Orifice program(s).

As for your supposition that "... PowerPoint is probably using some other
ICC colour profile ...": I don't think that PowerPoint knows anything about
color profiles. However, the Operating System may be imposing something in
the printer driver. It might be worthwhile to completely examine *all* of
the settings in both PowerFart and the printer driver, and making sure that
you are not doing something like applying printer profiles (or paper
profiles) twice ... once in PowerFart and once in the printer driver.

bill

RSD99 wrote:

>FWIW:
>This is not unexpected. The graphics performance of **all** of the
>Micro$loth Orifice programs is ... in a word that can be repeated in mixed
>company ... terrible. Not printing to the edge of the page, and terrible
>color shifts are pretty much "par for the course." Unfortunately, using
>Micro$cum Pub$lasher will (IMHO) probably not provide a significant
>improvement. However, if it's all you've got, it's worth a try. It does
>appear to have a better setup for printer control.

I'm not sure...but I get the distinct impression you're not a Microsoft
fan...

:)