Mobo for Linux File Server

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I am wanting to set up a linux server for my otherwise Windows office. I just need it for a file server.

I have downloaded CentOS and Knoppix I have tried them on my computer that I want to use and they crash. I think there is something wrong with the motherboard.

The old motherboard isn't that great anyways, an old SuperMicro P-III slot motherboard, with a P-III 450. This system used to be a ReByte server and the ReByte started crashing. I thought it was the ReByte at the time, but they reflashed it and I can't get CentOS completely installed and Knoppix running from the CD will crash on me.

I would like to have something newer, but sure don't need bleeding edge. I just want something that will work smoothly with CentOS and serve up files for 5-6 Windows computers to access.

Any Motherboard/CPU combo recomendations? I need ATX size board.

I see some P-4 combos on Ebay that are used boards. I wonder if that is a good choice, or is it probably better to get a new board?

Thanks,

Kirk

If you can put your hands on an Abit BH6 or BX6, these Slot1 mobos are the epitome of stability - on top of being quite bare and ATX size, PCI 2.1 compliant, passively cooled... Of course they're quite old.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If you can put your hands on an Abit BH6 or BX6, these Slot1 mobos are the epitome of stability - on top of being quite bare and ATX size, PCI 2.1 compliant, passively cooled... Of course they're quite old.
They're great(BH-6)...i have a three of them. The bummer about them is that they only support ATA33. :(

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Do you think it would be better to go newer than that? That would be convienient because I could use the same CPU and memory.

(what if the memory is causing my crash instead of the mobo?)

I just thought, now mobo/cpu/memory would give me a fresh start.

Thanks,

Kirk

well, those Abit boards were supremely stable memory-wise (you could almost restore failed memory chips on a BH6...) and they used SDRAM (I don't think any chipset could make early P-III run DDR or rambus), so...
On the other hand, an Asustek mobo, a sempron64 and a stick of RAM would not set you back a lot and would allow you to become the proud owner of a 64-bit Linux file server... with a 1Gbit Ethernet connector.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I will look into pricing for those. Thanks for the recomendation.

You said no early P-III could run DDR. How early is early? I have a Iwill board that is a dual socket 370 that runs DDR. Wouldn't recomend it highly though. Was a PIA to get running reliably.

Thanks,

Kirk

Socket AM2 is recommended if you wish to upgrade the system; if you have DDR to spare and just intend to make a single processor file server, 754 is more than good enough.
As for graphics card, if you intend to make a file server, use integrated graphics - no need to add an extra power draw to a system suposed to run 24/7.
If you make a file server, consider not loading X at boot, and not loading a console frame buffer.

Later Celeron for S370 were able to use DDR2 - after Intel could be convinced to forget Rambus, but those motherboards had limited (if any) support for earlier PIII. I don't really know, since I was AMD-equipped by that time.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Socket AM2 is recommended if you wish to upgrade the system; if you have DDR to spare and just intend to make a single processor file server, 754 is more than good enough.
As for graphics card, if you intend to make a file server, use integrated graphics - no need to add an extra power draw to a system suposed to run 24/7.
If you make a file server, consider not loading X at boot, and not loading a console frame buffer.

Later Celeron for S370 were able to use DDR2 - after Intel could be convinced to forget Rambus, but those motherboards had limited (if any) support for earlier PIII. I don't really know, since I was AMD-equipped by that time.
DDR, not DDR2. :wink: