The start of a Guide Watercooling Core 2 Duo MoBos

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
What I am upset about is the lack of a Motherboard with the compatability to add an existing waterblock to the Northbridge. None of the P5B's or P5W's will support current waterblocks...

The P5B Deluxe WiFi (965), and the p5W DH (975) have simular heatsinks to each other. The P5B as seen here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=13%2D131%2D028%2D02%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D028%2D03%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D028%2D04%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D028%2D05%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D028%2D06%2Ejpg&CurImage=13%2D131%2D028%2D04%2Ejpg&Description=ASUS+P5B+Deluxe%2FWiFi%2DAP+Socket+T+%28LGA+775%29+Intel+P965+Express+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+%2D+Retail

Has pin based brackets. And I beleive there may be a waterblock for the Northbridge. However there are no waterblocks for the voltage regulators. This is due to the fact that the voltage regulators pins are offset. The heatsinks on these boards REQUIRE a Fan based CPU aircooler to cool the motherboard. Without a fan on the CPU no air will be pushed through the fins that go around the chip:(

In addition this configuration makes it impossible to remove the heatsink on the Northbridge without ALSO removing the waterblock on the Voltage Regulators.

The P5B (regular), As you can see here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=13%2D131%2D030%2D02%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D030%2D03%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D030%2D04%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D030%2D05%2Ejpg%2C13%2D131%2D030%2D06%2Ejpg&CurImage=13%2D131%2D030%2D04%2Ejpg&Description=ASUS+P5B+Socket+T+%28LGA+775%29+Intel+P965+Express+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+%2D+Retail

Has a pair of pins that hold down the Aluminum heatsink on the north bridge. These pins are VERY specific to the heatsink, and though I havent asked, I dont beleive there is a even a replacement fan based cooler. They are definately not strong enough to even hold a waterblock, assuming the tension placed on it by the tubes, and the added weight.

I would assume both the P5B, and the P5B Deluxe share the same voltage regulators. I also assume due to the low power requirements on the Intel Core 2 duo, that these voltage regulator heatsinks are not that important, and that the fins are used primarily to cool the Northbridge

Now the difficult decision is... What is the best Asus based 965 choice for overclocking on a water based cooling system?

If you absolutely need the features on the p5b deluxe then the answer is simple. But if you look at the features and find yourself not needing the p5b Deluxe versions features then the answer becomes more complex.

If you own a X6800 then the requirements to increase the FSB becomes less important. Thus additional heat to the Northbridge and Voltage regulators are not as important. When the P5B Bios update is released that recognizes that this chip is multiplier unlocked, I will not be supprised to see small differences to the overclocking potental of these two motherboards.

For other chipsets, the need to water cool these parts (especially the Northbridge) becomes important.

The best water cooling solution (and extreme) is to remove the heatsinks on either of these boards, and use thermal epoxy to perminately glue waterblocks to these MoBo's. The problem is that this board will be perminately modified, and any attempt to remove the waterblock will ultimately result in the removal of large portions of the motherboard. If you plan on doing this then A) make sure your motherboard is stable, and B) Buy a cheap motherboard:)

I have also thought about building a custom bracket to hold the Northbridge waterblock ontop of the flat copper surface of the heatsink found on the p5b Deluxe mobos. The problem is that any metal brackets may come in contact with the Motherboard, and that any plastic solution is near impossible to construct.

I havent researched the other manufacturers compatabilities.

Personally, I do not need the features of the P5B Deluxe and couldnt see spending $60 or more. This is based on my decision to buy the X6700. If I purchased the E6600, then I would want the added benifits of the copper heat sinks would be needed. My only regret is that I bought an Asus MoBo. I expect Asus to come out with a p5b Bios that will recognize the X6700 as beign multiplier unlocked.

I want to make sure my water supply is reliable and that everything works well before I OC. Therefor I am expecting a few months before I will start Overclocking. After a year or so, I may buy a MoBo that has waterblocks for it, thus giving me the freedom to increase the overall speed between the Intel chip and the northbridge.

That or I will simply glue the damn blocks on...

Hope this helps
Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I have a strong feeling that the limiting factor for overclocking with water on chipsets other then the X6700 will be the northbridge. This problem is exagerated by the lack of additional cooling the air solutions provide with there chipset fans.

From all my understanding the higher FSB goes, the more data is transfered too and from the CPU and the Northbridge. The Memory speed is either 1:1 this speed or some arbitrary reduction. Set your multiplier to 5, then increase the FSB till your CPU speed is slightly less then the memory is capable then run the machine. This experiment tests the limits of the frontside bus. Because the CPU is comunicating to the northbridge at 4xFSB. Most likely the machine wont post, or in the worst case you get the northbridge to run, and it overheats, causing problems in the future.

With no independant active cooling options on these MoBo's there will be a strong need to cool these parts down, or else the multiplier locked chips will most likely run right into the limits of the CPU<->Northbridge.

We can also consider many benchmarks of different MoBo's with the same chip as actual tests of this Northbridge. We can also assume that some Northbridge chips will take the heat, while others will simply fail.

So many variables, and without control over the multiplier, the resulting failures may not be the CPU temp, but the overclocking of the northbridge:(

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I will be water-cooling my 6600 on ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB.
I have a water block I can put on my Northbridge but then there will be issues of cooling the voltage regulators.
Gluing heat sinks on them is a solution I think I will go with if i can't find a water block for them.

If I do glue they heat sinks on, they can be removed.
Using 50% arctic silver epoxy and 50% AS5. the blocks stay on the chips but come off with a gentle twist 6 months later. (I had to RMA a MB with them on before).

As for water blocks for the regulators...
I have seen them on a website but can't remember where...
Unfortunately Google isn't telling me either.. so if anybody know of it I'd appreciate it if someone where to post it.
Thanks

Edit:
I found them but if they will fit on my board i don't know.
Alphacool heattrap regCooler Asus SLI

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, I joke around and tell people to epoxy on waterblocks to their motherboards... I wouldnt recommend it, but hey... have fun doing it if you want:)

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Yeah, I joke around and tell people to epoxy on waterblocks to their motherboards... I wouldnt recommend it, but hey... have fun doing it if you want:)

I have done heatsinks to my motherboard so waterblocks is just the next step.
the problem is that you are joking around... 6 months from now someone is going to google this thread and see that they should do that...
and they will...
some people don't have a sence of humor after killing their motherboard.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I can understand the frustration in your words as my love for Abit boards has forced me to seek altrnative strategies for water cooling myself. I am being forced to custom make a waterblock for a set of voltage regulators for the newly designed Abit boards as there isn't one on the market.

However, in your case, there are some things to be said. By way of voltage regulators, it is my belief that all "P5" series heatsinks are of the same basic design on all P5 boards - the funky little offset design - but the same length. Alphacool makes a waterblock that, originally was for the P5N32 deluxe but can be used on other boards not originally mentioend in the compatibility listings. As for the northbridge, the whole "hook and catch" hold down mechanism sucks. Left by itself, (or even with some heatpipe configuration) it functions ok. However, trying to use a water block on it is tantamount to disaster. There are precious few water blocks that are compatibile with that style hold down. If you've ever used one (Swiftech MCW30), then you should know that when tubing is attached to it, there is a prsssure that the tubing bends exact on the water block that can "tilt" is and end up leaving the NB chip not totally in contact with the surface of the water block. That is one reason I'll never get a board with that style hold down - it just sucks and is cheap.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
It wont kill their mobo... It will just void their warrenty... And it is A GREAT idea for the person who REALLY wants to keep things cool, and cant cause of all the damn different pin configurations.

I wouldnt worry about the Voltage Regulators... though, I never have touched them (because of some REALLY good reasons) and never put a temp gaudge on them... Got some other concerns then them...

I found a fan cooled Northbridge that will fit my MoBo, so I am all happy:)

Mike

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
On my Abit AB9 PRO, the 4 voltage regulators, while being air cooled, get up to 40 celsius idle (but usually are around 34-36). During load there can be about a 5 degree difference in temp. It's not that I HAD to have them nor did I really NEED them but, I use them for peace of mind and they do a supreme job. I protect my CPU religiously and it is the focus of my cooling loop. My GPU come in second. Protecting the voltage regulators really allows me to overclock my CPU in a much more stable manner.