[color=red]reinstalling windows and keyboard wont work[/colo

firly_mcnasty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
sup all ...............help
ok ill start from from other day
i started up comp went to bathroom came back and comp was dead (r.i.p old friend)
so i bought a asrock 939 duel vista mobo,amd 3800 and new heatsink
installed all then it would not boot
found out power supply went and took mobo and procser with it
so i have a new power supply
now she boots up but my keyboard & mouse will not work so im unable to pic what windows ap i want
ive tryed unpluging both hard drives and and boot cd that came with mobo but same problem unable to use keyboard ...............
its a good thing i have no hair or i would tear it out
if some can help me i would be indebted to you [/b]

Mondoman

Splendid
The CD that comes with the MB is usually just a driver CD, not a boot CD. In any case, my guess is that you did not reinstall Windows after installing the new MB etc. Windows uses different low-level drivers depending on the hardware on the MB. In your case, Windows is presumably trying to use the drivers for the old MB hardware on your new MB with different hardware. You're lucky the system even boots into Windows!
Boot from the Windows CD, and select a "repair installation." After Windows is reinstalled, run the CD that came with the MB in order to install additional drivers for the MB.

firly_mcnasty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
yes i tried the windows cd first in hopes of save files then i tried mobo cd
but the problem is i can see where to push r and when goes past that spot
and ask me what syle of windows do i was xp ,pro home,pro corp,ect
the problem is keyboard wont work(a.k.a no power to keyboard lights) ive pressed every buton have used a 3'rd keyboard with no luck
i have found i error that say's im missing a file windows/system32/config/system

Straker

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Just to confirm a couple of things...

You are using a PS2 keyboard?

Also, setup will ask about an "R" response a couple of times. It's *the second one* that does the install-repair operation.

firly_mcnasty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
ok whos the dumb ass =====> me <=======
in my haste to check out the mobo i took off a jumper cover and reinstaled it 1/2 on & guess what power it supplyed
mouse and keyboard
im so kickmyself in the ass
but im thinking when power went it took mobo and cpu and my hard drive it not able to boot but i bought i 120 gb and as we speak in installing a new os and hoping on looking into old hard drive once im up and running
but thanks for all the help you guys and ill probly need more help in a few hr's stay tuned

p.s
im such a dumb ass
[/img]

firly_mcnasty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
ok i knew i wasent done
i trying to hook up my old hd and when i hook cable to both of them (with that fat thin cable has 3 female conectors i hook them up 1 to each hard drive and 1 to mobo it only works with new drive not old 1 and when i hook up both it only reads old hd and doesnt no new hd is there ?
it goes old hard drive then new 1 under that then mobo

Mondoman

Splendid
You need to connect the new drive to the connector on the very end. For now, leave the middle connector unplugged (do not plug in your old drive, as it will confuse windows into trying to boot from it). Boot from the Windows CD, format and install windows on the new hard drive, install MB drivers from the CD that came with the MB, etc.
Then, after Windows is all up to date (including network downloads), turn off the system, and plug the middle ribbon cable connector into you old disk. Next time you boot, it should appear as the next drive letter after you new drive.

TRENDING THREADS