Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Zalman CNPS7700

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

2k7zero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
EDIT: Poll

i couldn't get help at the gamespot tech hardwar forum so i'm coming here, old reliable tgz.

i've been stressing over this for awhile and i need to clear this up and i'm hoping u guys can help me. now please give facts to support your opinion because the outcome of this will determine what i get and i don't want my money to go to waste by purchasing the not better one of these two :( . also don't mind the price. thanks in advance. :D

Scythe Ninja Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185122

ZALMAN CNPS7700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

Sorry to tell you this, but the Scythe Ninja has been discountinued.

Of the two HSF you listed I would choose the Ninja. In fact that is what I have. You don't need to use the fan if you only do a mild overclock. But for hot running CPUs or for extreme overclocks, it is highly recommend that you use the fan. The fan itself is pretty quiet even running a full speed.

I am currently overclocking my E6600 to 2.7GHz and I am using the fan. The idle temp is 39C and load temp is 53C. I'll be OC'ing to 3.0GHz soon enough once I finish some testing.

Anywaste, the Ninja has been replaced by the Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm (Scythe Infinity) There is a rumor that the Ninja is only temporarily discontinued so that a newer version will be made available that will also be compatible with socket AM2. However, that is just a rumor.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Yeah I have to hurry up and buy another one. I always ran the Ninja passive and the Infinity doesn't look like a heatsink that will do well in that situation.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I've been using the p180 for a while. I have 3 case fans which are Nexus 120mm, 2 of them running at 7v. Here's my setup, it's an old pic when I was using Yate Loons. I'm going to make a duct too from the exhaust to the Ninja. I've made one before from cardboard to see how effective it was. Didn't do much for cpu temps, but I noticed a drop (about 4C) in PWM temp. That's an x2 4400+ in that pic. CPU temp when idle/browsing the net, etc is about 30-32C. The highest it ever hit under full load or gaming for hours was 48C. I think the ducted Ninja and Nexus exhaust will do nicely for a C2D, looking at a 6400 or 6600.

The top fan opening is also blocked. The Infinity's fin spacing is just too dense I think to be an effective passive cooler. Looking at SPCR's review it doesn't even beat the Ninja when using a fan. Not to mention I'm not comfortable with a 1kg tower heatsink hanging off my board. Bigger isn't always better.

An8-Ultra.jpg