No display before POST, plz help!

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I have a DFI Lanparty NF2 ultra B. I installed it and had it working (eventually). I went into the bios, and changed some settings to OC my processor. I raised the FSB to 200, the memory to 200, the processor to 2200mhz. Al have been done on my previous build using all the same components except for the motheboard. I saved the settings, and the motherboard re-started. It never made it to post. I have no display, either. I've tried various methods to try and restore the original settings, but nothing seems to be helping.

If anyone has any ideas about this, plz help, I'd like to get this thing running again!

I have a DFI Lanparty NF2 ultra B. I installed it and had it working (eventually). I went into the bios, and changed some settings to OC my processor. I raised the FSB to 200, the memory to 200, the processor to 2200mhz. Al have been done on my previous build using all the same components except for the motheboard. I saved the settings, and the motherboard re-started. It never made it to post. I have no display, either. I've tried various methods to try and restore the original settings, but nothing seems to be helping.

If anyone has any ideas about this, plz help, I'd like to get this thing running again!

Read in your Motherboard manual uner CMOS jumper. Try resetting the CMOS jumper.

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
They name several different ways of doing so, so far none have worked. I do have a sort of ambiguity about the Cmos jumper. There are, of course pins 1-3, and a jumper that, by default, covers 1 and 2. Moving it to 2 and 3 will clear the cmos, as it says in the manual. However, how long do I leave it on 2/3? Do I try to re-boot with it on those pins, or just keep it there momentarily? No info was offered through the manual.

The BIOS chip is supported by the battery. When you reset the CMOS the battery current is disrupted and the BIOS chip on your MB resets to default, which is what you want. Your system won't boot because the BIOS will not support the changes you made. Take the battery out for 5 minutes. The same result, default the BIOS.

I have the same DFI NF2 board you havem, but I don't think I have the rev. B. Some years ago I replaced it with an ASUS NF2 Ultra Deluxe because one of the DIMM slots failed.

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
OK< I went home (on a public computer) and tried the battery thing. Same response, and no change. Still won't post. Also tried holding the insert keyas per DFI's suggestion, and got nothing to that.

Normally making the changes in the BIOS you described would require a simple reset to default to remedy the problem should the computer fail to post. You might try booting with one stick of RAM in DIMM number one and see what happens.

flabbergasted

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
In your situation, my first step would to be to make sure all the cables are connected properly especially the one that connects to the monitor. I've also heard that to get CMOS to revert to default you need to disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes. But if you can't get the screen to work I don't see how you'd know if the CMOS was reset. Another thing you might try is using a different brand of RAM.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Hmmm... You had it all running and then changed a few BIOS options, then nothing...

You've tried removing the battery and then moving the reset jumper? Yes?

If yes, have you tried flashing the bios from floppy / flash drive?

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
The cables are all set and ready, remember, this system was working until I changed the settings. I took the battery out for 5-6 minutes, and it didn't change anything. I'll try moving the memory to the first slot, but I thinkI may have tried that already.

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I thought moving the reset jumper was interrupting the power from the battery in the first place...wouldn't moving the jumper and the battery be redundant? Also, I can't get it to boot far enough for it to read from a floppy. I turn it on, the hard drives spin up, and it pretty much stops there.

mizlplix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
To reset BIOS: You must Remove the battery AND reset the jumper for 1 minute or so. Put the jumper back, Replace the battery, Boot.

(It requires both steps)

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, I've done that. Actually, I did a long clear, where you do both for 24 hours or so. Still nothing. My next step is to get a stick of DDR 2100 and put that in; people in another forum have said that works sometimes because the settings are so different from 3200.

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I had a similar problem on a DFI NF2 Rev A mobo where I changed some settings like you did and also changed the cpu voltage and the pc would not post so I left the jumper on reset and took the battery out and for good measure unplugged the power cable to make sure no current could get in and went to bed clutching me 4 leaf clover, lucky rabbits foot and horse shoe and had a sleep night wondering if I had walked under a ladder or whether a black cat crossing your path is good or bad luck, but in the morning when I hit the power button it posted and I was able to get into bios and reset defaults.

If your PC still aint working after a 24 hr reset then you may have caused some component damage.

Were you using DDR400 (PC3200)? I was using this type of memory on my setup but trying to run the cpu or ram at 200fsb just wouldnt work unless you have an Athlon xp 3200+ as these can handle 200mhz fsb. I was using the Athlon XP 3000+ which is meant to run at 166fsb. The highest I could get my fsb without to much fiddling & stock volts was 185mhzat 1:1 ratio.

Thrstbster6

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I had a DFI LANparty CFX3200 DR/g MB that did the same thing infact I mailed it back to the egg today for a replacement. I never got to windows once and the only setting I changed were the ones dealings with SATA. One boot one BIOS change and the board goes south. I am not sure if I really want to deal with this so I may have to try another brand.

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Mate, I've got the same mobo and I was having probs installing windows for the first time but it turned out to be my crap ddr400 ram that couldnt run at 200mhz fsb so I had to put it on a divider of 5:6 (cpu fsb was 200) to run it at 166mhz after which I had no probs and have since replaced it with OCZ PC4000 plat 2gb stuff.

I am pleased with the board & I bought it second hand off ebay for £80. If you need help with settings just let me know and I will help if I can.

excentric_13073

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Hey, thanks for the offer. I have been referring to DFI-street.com for some advice concerning this motherboard. They've been quite helpfull, and I recomend going over there if you need help with a DFI board. Through trial and error, so far as I can tell, my Bios is hosed. So I'm actually getting the chip re-flashed through DFI (for free).

My ram is OCZ Gold PC3200 based on BH5 chips, which was something this board was designed to be compatable with. I'll update when I recieve the re-flashed chip and let ya all know what happens.

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Cheers mate, hopefully your board will be fine once you get it back.

Mine is working fine now, only problem I had was trying to get hold of drivers for this board from the DFI website as they only had Raid drivers available, but after posting on DFI-Street about two weeks back they have made all the neccessary drivers available for d/l.

Before this though I got exellent help in tracking down the ULI drivers (on Nvidia website) from the guys on overclockerzforum.com which is also a brilliant forum you should check out. Its not as big as this forum but that makes it better for getting a quick response & help which has always sorted me out.

Thrstbster6

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
RMA it if you havent. I have found no answers to solve the problem either here of DFI-street. Although people havebeen great at replying /w solutions it appears none have worked for you as none have worked for me but i do say thanks to all ofthose that took the time to respond.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I thought moving the reset jumper was interrupting the power from the battery in the first place...wouldn't moving the jumper and the battery be redundant? Also, I can't get it to boot far enough for it to read from a floppy. I turn it on, the hard drives spin up, and it pretty much stops there.

Yes, it's redundant. You should do as duthoy advised and disconnect AC power first, then use the jumper for a second or pull the battery for a few minutes.

If you have a multimeter, measure the battery voltage. Some boards will not post with a dead battery. If you have an old PCI video card, remove the current one and plug that in (then clear CMOS again). Some types of board failures will prevent AGP or PCI Expess video output but an old PCI card will work, but not always. I don't mean system works completely but you might get to see an error or where it stops on-screen.

Besides holding the <Insert> key while powering it on, also try the <Home> key. Does anybody know if these key(s) work with a USB keyboard? I don't recall, you might need have PS2 for this.