New PC - can I move my HD?

Several MVP's have directed me and others to this proceedure to enable me to
move my HDD to a new PC.

But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the
c:\ partition but no OS. Yet that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using XP
home)
How can it not be seeing the XP home OS? I have a lot of apps. and don't
want to have to reload them.

Here's what they have advised:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your
computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your
computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
screen,
press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
agreement.
5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

If your old system came with and OEM version of XP preinstalled then it may
have been BIOS locked. If that is the case it likely can't be run on another
system.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Several MVP's have directed me and others to this proceedure to enable me
> move my HDD to a new PC.
>
> But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the
> c:\ partition but no OS. Yet that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using
> XP
> home)
> How can it not be seeing the XP home OS? I have a lot of apps. and don't
> want to have to reload them.
>
> Here's what they have advised:
>
> Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
> information
> about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact
> your
> computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart
> your
> computer.
>
> 1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
> screen,
> press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
> 2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
> press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
> 3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
> 4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
> agreement.
> 5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in
> the
> box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
> 6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

MadMax

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

***TominFL*** wrote:
> Several MVP's have directed me and others to this proceedure to enable me to
> move my HDD to a new PC.
>
> But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the
> c:\ partition but no OS. Yet that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using XP
> home)
> How can it not be seeing the XP home OS? I have a lot of apps. and don't
> want to have to reload them.
>
> Here's what they have advised:
>
> Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
> about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your
> computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your
> computer.
>
> 1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
> screen,
> press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
> 2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
> press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
> 3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
> 4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
> agreement.
> 5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
> box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
> 6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

As you have found out it doesn't always work(I have tried it a few times
myself).You would be better off to put HD back in old machine,backup
important files,and then put it back in new computer and do a fresh
install.Your machine will be happier(and you'll still have some hair left).
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
Virus cleaning +fixes see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros

Thanks but what does bios locked mean?

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> If your old system came with and OEM version of XP preinstalled then it may
> have been BIOS locked. If that is the case it likely can't be run on another
> system.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Several MVP's have directed me and others to this proceedure to enable me
> > move my HDD to a new PC.
> >
> > But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the
> > c:\ partition but no OS. Yet that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using
> > XP
> > home)
> > How can it not be seeing the XP home OS? I have a lot of apps. and don't
> > want to have to reload them.
> >
> > Here's what they have advised:
> >
> > Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
> > information
> > about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact
> > your
> > computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart
> > your
> > computer.
> >
> > 1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
> > screen,
> > press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
> > 2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
> > press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
> > 3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
> > 4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
> > agreement.
> > 5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in
> > the
> > box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
> > 6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

BIOS-locked means that the programs stored in the CMOS chip on the new PC's
mainboard will be in conflict with the version of XP stored on the hard
drive. If this is the case, then the operating system on your old hard drive
is useless on the new PC.
There is no harm in swapping the drive to find out whether this is the case.

> Thanks but what does bios locked mean?
>
> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
> > If your old system came with and OEM version of XP preinstalled then it
may
> > have been BIOS locked. If that is the case it likely can't be run on
another
> > system.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Several MVP's have directed me and others to this proceedure to enable
me
> > > move my HDD to a new PC.
> > >
> > > But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the
> > > c:\ partition but no OS. Yet that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm
using
> > > XP
> > > home)
> > > How can it not be seeing the XP home OS? I have a lot of apps. and
don't
> > > want to have to reload them.
> > >
> > > Here's what they have advised:
> > >
> > > Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
> > > information
> > > about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or
contact
> > > your
> > > computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and
restart
> > > your
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > 1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
> > > screen,
> > > press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
> > > 2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and
then
> > > press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
> > > 3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
> > > 4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the
license
> > > agreement.
> > > 5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected
in
> > > the
> > > box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
> > > 6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

TRENDING THREADS