Sign in with
Your question

Custom Build - paint/primer suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2006 11:45:31 PM

hey - im not in any way a novice builder, however i havent gotten around to custom painting or custom windows yet. i owe my sister a computer and thought id make it a project. i told her i'd custom paint it blue with her name and a side window on it, so thats what im gonna do. here are the parts i have chosen so far (dont really need help with this just thought id use it for referance, but im open to suggestions):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Enermax Gloss CS-688AL-01 Aluminum Computer Cases w/ Front USB, IEEE, Audio Port (simple blue case that looks pretty easy to customize)

-Black LG Electronics SuperMulti 16x DVD Rewriter GSA-H10NK, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 5x DVD-RAM

-Blue Logisys Aluminum Computer Memory Cooler, Model: MH101BL (blue memory heatsinks)

-Black Thermaltake TR2 430W PFC ATX Computer Power Supply W0069RU, Supports SATA & PCI-E, w/ Dual 8cm Fans

-Sapphire ATI Radeon X1300 Video Card 100141, 256MB DDR, PCI-E, w/ TV-Out & DVI

-Biostar TForce4 AM2 Socket AM2 Motherboard, nForce4 Chipset, Dual DDR2 800, PCI-E, SATA (blue motherboard to match most parts with AM2 socket for upgradeability plus DDR2-800 as a bonous for the future)

-Kingston ValueRAM Series 1GB (1024MB) DDR2-667 DIMM Memory, 240-Pin, CL5, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Model: KVR667D2N5/1G (i dont like kingston very much when it comes to valueram but for some reason memory is getting expensive as hell and this is the cheapest 1GB module there is right now)

-Computer Windows Kit -- Complete Kit to Personalize Your PC, Color: Clear Acrylic (simple directron.com computer kit)

-12" Blue Cold Cathode (CCFL) PC Light Kit, Single Tube, Retail box (gonna put it under window)

-AMD Sempron 64 3000+ Manila Socket AM2 Processor SDA3000CNBOX, 1.6 GHz, 1600MHz HT, 256KB L2 Cache. ds-dh (she doesnt play games so sempron should be fine and she can upgrade later)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so those are the parts so far. what i really need help with is getting a good looking paint job. im set on doing it myself, but dont have that much knowledge of paint. i've read at a few sites that you need the following things to do the job right:
-120 grit sandpaper
-self etching primer
-enamel spray paint
-800 grit sandpaper
-buffing compound
-3M hand glaze

what im wondering is is there a specific brand of each of these you would recommend for aluminum/plastic cases? also are there any tips you think i should know for painting the case? thanks alot in advance, ian.
September 11, 2006 12:09:54 AM

120 grit seems way too rough. Use the 800 as your "rough" and go up to 1500 or so. I'd buy wet/dry sandpaper from your local auto parts store, as you're going to be dealing with painting metal. Remember, too, that aluminum is very soft!
September 11, 2006 2:08:11 AM

that helps alot thanks, does anybody know what brand of paint or primer is best though?
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2006 2:46:39 AM

Look here for case mod / painting tutorials.
http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseModTutorials.html
Think about a stencil or two to really set it apart.
And don't forget to add a USB powered Disco Ball. :lol: 
September 11, 2006 12:33:53 PM

If your using spray cans try Krlylon, Rustolean, Duplicolor, etc. Make sure to get the ones that say "High Solids". Gives you better coverage quicker. If you have access to a compressor and a spray gun, I would try going to an automotive paint store and getting Dupont or PPG. However, most only carry one or the other. You could get away with just about any auto paint. All depends on if you want the the gloss and color in one product or if you want to put the color down first and then apply a clear coat. Hope that helps.
!