Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 10, 2006 11:47:22 PM

I'm currently building myself a gaming system :

Tower : Antec P180
PSU : OCZ 600watts GameXstream
CPU : AMD 64 X2 4200+
Mobo : Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
Graphic card: MSI NX7600GT -> The HD one.

As for the memory, I've got 3 choices, but I'm not sure which one to take and I would appreciate advice on what to take and why.

2x1 Gb DDR 500Mhz PC4000 OCZ® Dual Channel Performance Series
2x1 Gb DDR2 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 ) KINGSTON®
2x1 Gb DDR2 667 Mhz OCZ® Gold Gamer eXtreme timing CL 4-4-4-8

Also, I'm planning to overclock the processor to +- 2.9Ghz, so if someone could recommend me a good watercooling system that doesn't cost a fortune, I'd appreciate it.

Between, I know that this system will not be the ultimate one, as for my local hardware dealer isn't super big and I don't have credit cards to get stuff shipped where I live.

Thanks.

More about : couple questions

September 11, 2006 3:24:44 AM

Quote:
As for the memory, I've got 3 choices, but I'm not sure which one to take and I would appreciate advice on what to take and why.

2x1 Gb DDR 500Mhz PC4000 OCZ® Dual Channel Performance Series
2x1 Gb DDR2 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 ) KINGSTON®
2x1 Gb DDR2 667 Mhz OCZ® Gold Gamer eXtreme timing CL 4-4-4-8

You MB will only handle DDR, not DDR2, so your only choice is #1.
September 11, 2006 11:35:32 AM

Oh yeah, I went on some review site and it was wrote that the MB support PC3200, PC2700 and PC2100 Ram, so I guess that I can't take the PC4000?
Related resources
September 11, 2006 6:47:16 PM

However, AM2 is not long for this world either. The new AMD processors (a year off) will be "AM3" processors. The current info is that they should work in AM2 sockets, but with their new features inactivated. That doesn't strike me as a very attractive upgrade path. Plus, right now there is no guarantee of this partial compatability. Remember that Core2Duo processors are compatible with the same LGA775 socket as Pentium 4s, but it turns out that their power requirements were different enough that no pre-C2D LGA775 boards could work with C2D processors.
If you need a board that will work with CPUs 2 or more years into the future, you're stuck with current C2D-compatible Intel LGA775 boards. If you don't want to go Intel, go with AM2 for the increased performance, not for any expectation of longevity. Until very recently, AM2 CPUs were priced higher than socket 939 CPUs, but since last week the price difference has gone away, so don't pay a premium for AM2 CPUs.

Finallly, you don't need a credit card to buy online. NewEgg accepts PayPal, personal checks, money orders, etc (of course, you need to prepay on those), and so do a number of other internet vendors.
September 12, 2006 12:02:34 AM

Quote:
Finallly, you don't need a credit card to buy online. NewEgg accepts PayPal, personal checks, money orders, etc (of course, you need to prepay on those), and so do a number of other internet vendors.

The thing is, it'll cost me a lot to get it shipped to Quebec, Canada, and probably a couple of weeks to get it.
September 12, 2006 12:18:10 AM

There are Canadian vendors, too, like NCIX, that ship from many locations around Canada and have reasonable shipping rates.
In any case, it's your money, and you're free to do with it as you will.
!