Help Cannot get Media Player to work

I recently upgraded my Windows XP Pro machine's Media
Player to vs10. I also installed another software program
because I could not get Media Player to play an AVI file.
The program I tried did not work either, so I removed it I
then tried Player again and it would not work at all. I
could not even find it so I tried to do a Windows Update
again and it looked like it is going to finish the
install, but I get an error message. Windows Media Player
is incompatible with this version for more details view
this web page. http:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?
linkID=28004. When I try this link I get an error no
matching entry. After I close all the dialog boxes it
says the update was successful. However it is not done an
install.

I even downloaded version 10 and tried to just do a
straight install and it does the samething. It is
incompaitible with this version. I tried going to Control
Panel where you can add windows components. I tried this
from the Control Panel, this did not work it is grayed out
showing 0 Bytes. I also tried putting the Windows
installation CD. It shows 0 bytes where should show the
size. I am guessing it thinks it is already installed so
it will not let me. However it will not let uninstall it
either. I was hoping If I could get to an older version I
could then Update it again.

Since I could not get any version of Media player to
install, I tried a System restore to date when everything
worked. This did not work either. Is there anything I
can do to install older version of Media Player? If I can
get so version of media player working I can then upgrade.
1 answer Last reply
More about help media player work

    Hi,

    WMP10 can be uninstalled via Add & Remove, but it's not under Windows
    Components. It should be in the main list, but you must have the "show
    updates" box checked at the top to see it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "treasuredphotos" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded my Windows XP Pro machine's Media
    > Player to vs10. I also installed another software program
    > because I could not get Media Player to play an AVI file.
    > The program I tried did not work either, so I removed it I
    > then tried Player again and it would not work at all. I
    > could not even find it so I tried to do a Windows Update
    > again and it looked like it is going to finish the
    > install, but I get an error message. Windows Media Player
    > is incompatible with this version for more details view
    > this web page. http:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?
    > linkID=28004. When I try this link I get an error no
    > matching entry. After I close all the dialog boxes it
    > says the update was successful. However it is not done an
    > install.
    >
    > I even downloaded version 10 and tried to just do a
    > straight install and it does the samething. It is
    > incompaitible with this version. I tried going to Control
    > Panel where you can add windows components. I tried this
    > from the Control Panel, this did not work it is grayed out
    > showing 0 Bytes. I also tried putting the Windows
    > installation CD. It shows 0 bytes where should show the
    > size. I am guessing it thinks it is already installed so
    > it will not let me. However it will not let uninstall it
    > either. I was hoping If I could get to an older version I
    > could then Update it again.
    >
    > Since I could not get any version of Media player to
    > install, I tried a System restore to date when everything
    > worked. This did not work either. Is there anything I
    > can do to install older version of Media Player? If I can
    > get so version of media player working I can then upgrade.

Microsoft Media Player Windows XP