Managed Gigabit Switch with MAC address filtering

Hi all,

I need a 24 port managed Gigabit switch that can let people connect to
the network based on their network card's MAC address. If the MAC
address is known then it lets them connect, if the MAC address is not
known then the switch would reject all traffic from the computer.
Basically the switch needs to have a MAC based ACL. It also has to be
under $800. All ports have to be gigabit, not just a couple.

I need this because the location where this switch is to be installed
is not really secure. And the patch panel is used by two tenents, which
means that one tenent could sneakily connect a patch wire from the
patch panel to the switch and steal internet, try hacking the server,
or simply infect workstations.

So if you know of any gigabit switches that do this, please post them.

Thanks,
Nite Rider
1 answer Last reply
More about managed gigabit switch address filtering

    "Nite Rider" <niteriderxp@hotmail.com> writes:

    >I need a 24 port managed Gigabit switch that can let people connect to
    >the network based on their network card's MAC address. If the MAC
    >address is known then it lets them connect, if the MAC address is not
    >known then the switch would reject all traffic from the computer.

    Are you aware that it is trivial to set the MAC address used by
    an end stations to any arbitrary value? If a potential attacker
    knows which MAC address is configured on a certain port, they
    can disconnect the port, connect their own machine, set the
    correct MAC address, and use your service without a chance
    for the MAC acl to recognize the situation.

    Also, with a switch in an unsecure area, nothing stops a dedicated
    attacker from inserting his own switch (at lower bandwidth usage,
    maybe even a dumb hub), into the uplink of your switch, circumventing
    all measures configured on your switch.

    best regards
    Patrick

Switch Connection Mac Address Networking