Crossfire issues

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I'm thinking of moving to an x1950 crossfire setup over the next few months (I like to buy one big upgrade at the end of each month, and the next two months are TFT monitor and Core 2 CPU)

I like the 975x chipset, and I dont feel there is much point in getting a 7950GX2 as I dont see ever being able to add a second one (as the hacked drivers dont support Quad SLI) so Crossfire looks good.

Please dont tell me to wait for DX10 parts, if I wait for the next big thing I'll never actually buy anything as after that there will be 2nd generation DX10 parts. Once DX10 comes out old parts will be retired to my other computers. I dont care if its a waste so dont tell me it is :p

I'm wondering though:

1. Do Crossfire masters work as single cards if I purchase this one first? I know they only have 1 DVI out but that isnt an issue for me as I no longer run multiple monitors.

2. I notice the master card has no TV-Out, once I have both cards can I still plug a TV into the slave card or is there no TV-Out provision with Crossfire? I dont mind if I have to dissable multi-GPU for this as long as it doesnt mean a reboot, as I only switch to TV-Out for watching films.

Thanks people :)

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
if your going to get X1950XTX's then you will only need 2 regular X1950XTXs, you will not need a master or a slave card like the x1900xtx

the reason why people tell you to wait is cause DX10 will bring a new setup which could render you beautifully built crossfire setup useless... so in other words if you have the money now buy something cheap, then get the good stuff later...

no one really knows how dx10 will be used in new games or vista and/or if it will be required to play games or what not..

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
if your going to get X1950XTX's then you will only need 2 regular X1950XTXs, you will not need a master or a slave card like the x1900xtx

Eh? Then what is this, this and this all about then?

the reason why people tell you to wait is cause DX10 will bring a new setup which could render you beautifully built crossfire setup useless... so in other words if you have the money now buy something cheap, then get the good stuff later...

no one really knows how dx10 will be used in new games or vista and/or if it will be required to play games or what not..

I personally 100% believe that DX10 games will run fine on DX9c cards, just without the extra features, just as DX9 games ran on DX8.1 cards, although some of the latest DX9c games will not, by that time my x1950s will be the equivalent of a Geforce 4 Ti today.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I'm thinking of moving to an x1950 crossfire setup over the next few months (I like to buy one big upgrade at the end of each month, and the next two months are TFT monitor and Core 2 CPU)

I'm wondering though:

1. Do Crossfire masters work as single cards if I purchase this one first? I know they only have 1 DVI out but that isnt an issue for me as I no longer run multiple monitors.

Thanks people :)

Yes they should work as a stand alone but priced the same being of the same clocks and performance.

http://legitreviews.com/article/379/1/