Sign in with
Your question

New system dissapointment, is it me?

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2006 3:43:03 AM

I just finished building my new system and I have to say, in benchmarks, it is MUCH faster!! Otherwise, it's not THAT much of an improvement over my P4-3.0Ghz Northwood on my MSI 865PE mobo with ddr400... My new setup is E6300 on the ECS P965 mobo with ddr2-800 (which is only running @667 due to mobo limitations, eventhough it states that is supports ddr2800!?) Is there any reason why it doesn't knock my socks off? For instance, my old vid-card was a PNY 6200 AGP... now I own a BFG 7600GTOC PCI-e x16 and it's a HUGE difference!!!! I figured the same would be so with a new system... like the one I now own!!?? Any suggestions or advice? OH, why does the hdd led stay on all of the time? Thanks!!

DAMN!!! There's more... sometimes when the comp is restarted, it SHUTS off like you uplugged it, then 2-4 seconds later it turns back on!? Northbrige heatsink is HOT!! (passively cooled) And... bios works without the jumper in at all? I'm gonna be sick. New mobo here I come!! Any suggestions?

More about : system dissapointment

September 11, 2006 3:51:43 AM

Quote:
why does the hdd led stay on all of the time?

Do you also hear the HDD noice all the time? If not, you might connected the HDD led cable to the wrong connector.
September 11, 2006 4:02:18 AM

No noise whatsoever... and that's what I thought at first, but it's correctly connected... For some reason I selected "raid mode" in my bios as opposed to "ide mode"(mobo only has one ide which is what my DVD-RW is on, and it's always detected by the raid controller!?) and then the led worked like it's supposed to. But a couple reboots later and it's stuck on again!? SO, oddly enough, I intalled a second hard drive to back up my files for a reinstallation and now it's working perfectly!? ECS... huh?
Related resources
September 11, 2006 4:55:39 AM

your benchmarks are way better???well no worries then.it may perform only marginaly better than your old system,yet the benchmarks are much higher.don't fret about it.it's all about money and owning the best you can afford.if it gives you lots of trouble then i would be concerned,but to be honest i've had a few dissapointments with upgrades,but what can you do?just stick with it and make the best of it.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
September 11, 2006 7:03:15 AM

Quote:
I just finished building my new system and I have to say, in benchmarks, it is MUCH faster!! Otherwise, it's not THAT much of an improvement over my P4-3.0Ghz Northwood on my MSI 865PE mobo with ddr400... My new setup is E6300 on the ECS P965 mobo with ddr2-800 (which is only running @667 due to mobo limitations, eventhough it states that is supports ddr2800!?) Is there any reason why it doesn't knock my socks off? For instance, my old vid-card was a PNY 6200 AGP... now I own a BFG 7600GTOC PCI-e x16 and it's a HUGE difference!!!! I figured the same would be so with a new system... like the one I now own!!?? Any suggestions or advice? OH, why does the hdd led stay on all of the time? Thanks!!

DAMN!!! There's more... sometimes when the comp is restarted, it SHUTS off like you uplugged it, then 2-4 seconds later it turns back on!? Northbrige heatsink is HOT!! (passively cooled) And... bios works without the jumper in at all? I'm gonna be sick. New mobo here I come!! Any suggestions?
You might not notice much/any difference, but Core2Duo runs better with the RAM running synchronously(1:1). That means setting the RAM to run at 533MHz(266). You might be able to tighten the timings up on the RAM by lowering its speed, also. GL :) 
September 11, 2006 1:57:52 PM

if your hd led is on all the time it usually indicates an ide controller problem.the bios jumpers are only for clearing your cmos so you don't want a bridge unless you are clearing it.unless of course you have a dual bios,then you may have to jump it so the back-up bios can be used.if the northbridge heat sink is really hot then try to install a fan.however if this is a new motherboard.RMA it.sounds like too many probs to have for a new board.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
September 11, 2006 2:41:11 PM

You know 1Tanker, the only options I have in bios are REALLY basic for fsb. It is set to default right now, but I don't believe there are any settings for the ram, which is really annoying me because it shows ram settings in the manual!? I am coming to find this to be a very dissapointing buy.

And guys, please don't punch me too hard for this... you know that 8-pin connector on the mobo? Well... I only have my 4-pin connector plugged in... the system runs fine, how bad is that? I do have the extra molex connector plugged in as well. Would you recommed a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter or a new psu with the correct plug-in? Brands?
September 11, 2006 2:43:13 PM

Dahak, I installed a fan on my nb-heatsink and it feels a lot cooler. The hdd led stopped being on all the time after I installed that second hdd and switched some bios settings. It seems like the computer runs fast, just some things in windows are slow... annoying, I'm going to reinstall tonight. I'm contacting ecs now for an rma, but I don't think I want this board anymore... Oh, and is that your 3DMark05 or 06 score??
!