Myst on Linux

Last response: in Video Games
December 8, 2004 2:34:29 AM

I am a Linux user.

Have installed wine and successfully installed Myst.

However when I try to run the game with wine I get the message
that the disc in the cdrom drive is not the Myst disc.

Any tips please.

Thanks

Klang

More about : myst linux

December 8, 2004 2:34:30 AM

"klang" <klang@darkstar.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.07.23.34.29.186318@darkstar.com...
> I am a Linux user.
>
> Have installed wine and successfully installed Myst.
>
> However when I try to run the game with wine I get the message
> that the disc in the cdrom drive is not the Myst disc.
>
> Any tips please.
>
> Thanks
>
> Klang

It may be that Wine has a very limited ability to run Windows programs. I
have never heard of anyone successfully running Myst on Linux.

Graham
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:46:24 AM

Both Myst and Riven worked mostly as of 2000.

Riven's menus had problems for a long time, but I recall they started working in
2002 some time. Zip mode never worked too well in either game. Riven's CD
changing also doesn't work too well - just copy the whole lot to your HDD.

Do you have a very recent release of Myst? If so, you're probably experiencing
some kind of copy protection - SafeDisc, etc. require raw access to the CDROM,
which is a problem. This is the main problem that prevents Myst Masterpiece and
Exile from working starting.

Old version of (win16/32) Myst (like my copy of Myst 1.03) don't even care if
you're running from a CDROM :-/

Dan

!