HP LaserJet 5N IP address...

Hi,

I have got a LJ 5N printer with a network card, but I don't even know the IP
address and how to program this printers TCP-IP properties.

Does HP have a small utility for this?

I looked at the HP webadmin but this was a bloated app intended for the
enterprise market and it did not even find my printer...

Thanks for any hints on getting this 5N up and running on TCP-IP

regards

Geir

a control panel on the printer itself that lets you scroll though some
options using the keys on the printer.

You want to get to the "Print Configuration" option. The printer will
'spit out' it's IP address.

Next you can Telnet in or use your web browser. Type the IP address
printed into your web browser and this will get you into the printer
settings. Follow the prompts and you can set the IP address and a
password etc.

Good Luck.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:14:04 UTC, "Geir Holmavatn" <geirh3@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have got a LJ 5N printer with a network card, but I don't even know the IP
> address and how to program this printers TCP-IP properties.
>
> Does HP have a small utility for this?

Does it come out as part of the info on a test or report page? It does
on some HP models...

Once you have it, you can use telnet to get to the printer and configure
it. You also ought to be able to do it via the control panel, but that
is often very tedious.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

"Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> skrev i melding

> Does it come out as part of the info on a test or report page? It does
> on some HP models...
>
> Once you have it, you can use telnet to get to the printer and configure
> it. You also ought to be able to do it via the control panel, but that
> is often very tedious.

Thanks for the tips, but I hoped that HP had a small utility running for
example SNMP to find any printer on the network and let me configure the IP
properties from a gui.

I'll try with telnet ;-)

Geir

Geir Holmavatn <geirh3@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> skrev i melding
>
>> Does it come out as part of the info on a test or report page? It does
>> on some HP models...
>>
>> Once you have it, you can use telnet to get to the printer and configure
>> it. You also ought to be able to do it via the control panel, but that
>> is often very tedious.
>
> Thanks for the tips, but I hoped that HP had a small utility running for
> example SNMP to find any printer on the network and let me configure the IP
> properties from a gui.

That would be JetAdmin, which HP has been trying to kill for years.

> I'll try with telnet ;-)

It's easier to do via telnet. You can also use the front panel menus.

Yes. HP does make a smaller utility that you could use to to discover and set up
Network printer using HP's Internal/External JetDirect print servers. It is
called" Install Network Printer Wizard" (INPW). You could download it from HP's
Web Side under the Support & Drivers Link. Type in Install Network Printer WIzard
in the product model. Select the one for your OS.

Also, in your LJ 5N, you should do a Cold Reset:
1). Turn printer off.
2). Hold down the Go button while you turn the printer on.
3). Let it go after the msg"Cold Reset" is shown.

Give a minute or two after it is done then press the Go button to make sure the
printer is online. You could run the INPW after that. the LJ 5N should grab an IP
address from your Router. If it doesn't, the 192.0.01 IP address might be shown
as the printer found by the INPW. You should set the IP address of the printer
outside of the DHCP range and make it static.

Dewaine