Collision Detection and Jam Signal on the LAN

Last response: in Networking
July 18, 2005 2:17:16 PM

I want to get the collisions on the LAN. I know that in half-duplex
network there is jam signal to demonstrate the collision occured. How
would I get the Jam Signal and count them without addtional hardware
besides a network card. Many tools can get the Collision that the
transceiver meets but that is not what i wanted. Any help would be
appreciated.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:08:20 PM

xydarcher@163.com wrote:

> I want to get the collisions on the LAN. I know that in half-duplex
> network there is jam signal to demonstrate the collision occured. How
> would I get the Jam Signal and count them without addtional hardware
> besides a network card. Many tools can get the Collision that the
> transceiver meets but that is not what i wanted. Any help would be
> appreciated.

For coaxial ethernet it is possible to do receive mode collision
detect, to detect collisions between other stations on the cable.

I don't know that such signal propagates through repeaters,
so also would not be available on 10baseT hosts.

-- glen
!