Best single video card solution mobo?

SBD

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
It seems a majority of the mobo card reviews for both AM2 and Conroe concentrate on the SLI/Crossfire solutions. My LCD monitor runs at 1280x1024 native, so a dual-card solution won't do squat for me. If I'm not paying for a second video card slot, I could probably save some money to spend on better other components. What do you recommend as the best mobos with single video slot for both CPU lines (AM2 or Conroe)?

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
It seems a majority of the mobo card reviews for both AM2 and Conroe concentrate on the SLI/Crossfire solutions. My LCD monitor runs at 1280x1024 native, so a dual-card solution won't do squat for me. If I'm not paying for a second video card slot, I could probably save some money to spend on better other components. What do you recommend as the best mobos with single video slot for both CPU lines (AM2 or Conroe)?

Any board from Asus, Asrock, or way too many brands to name will do it. Check Newegg for ideas.
If you're not even sure if you want to go AM2 or Conroe, how can you expect anyone to help you if you're not even sure what you want!

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Well most motherboards that support SLI, also support the ability to have just one video card. So a way to look at it is, you have future upgradability, which is always a plus.

Actually if you run over to anandtech.com they have a good article on a very decent Epox board that supports Conroe chips. I actually plan on purchasing one if a better one is not found within the next month or so. It's not too bad at 90 bucks.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006

AM2 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123004

Conroe = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030

SBD

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the answer, uber_g.

As for the others, I don't see myself ever using SLI or Crossfire, so buying a board that supports them means I'm paying a premium that could be used to buy a board with more useful slots, or a better video card, HD, or any other component that I might actually use instead. I understand that both SLI and Crossfire boards will support only one card, but I don't want to pay for a useless extra slot. How many reviews have you seen that show that a single high-end video card outperforms two mid-range cards setup in Crossfire/SLI (the combo of which costs more than the single high-end card)?

Maybe the answer is that I have little choice. The single PCI-e16 slot boards may not support enough features to make them valuable for a high-end system. Anyway, at least there are two to consider. Thx again, uber_g.