minime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002

Hi,

Before I had sp2 installed, when I turned my computer on, it went straight
to the Windows loading screen, now I have to see the boot screen menu and
then the loading screen, can anyone tell me how to set this up so I can get
rid of the boot screen menu.

Thank you for any help
MiniMe

There are probably two entries in your boot.ini, so you are getting a choice
of operating systems when you boot. Did you upgrade to XP from another
Windows version?
===

Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
Boot.ini tab | Check All Boot Paths button |
A dialog box will open detailing the location of any invalid operating
system locations | Confirm you want to remove the entry and reboot

[[Check All Boot Paths - This button will check the boot paths for all
operating systems listed in the BOOT.INI to ensure they point to a valid
operating system. ]]

Msconfig image
http://www.winnetmag.com/Files/16/20784/msconfig.gif

If there is only one you will get:
It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK.
===

Boot.ini File Contains Previous Boot Options
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;225997

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23rCLb%23LxEHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
MiniMe <minime@your'llneverno.org> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> Before I had sp2 installed, when I turned my computer on, it went
> straight to the Windows loading screen, now I have to see the boot
> screen menu and then the loading screen, can anyone tell me how to
> set this up so I can get rid of the boot screen menu.
>
> Thank you for any help
> MiniMe

Hi

If you want to bypass the Welcome screen, try this:

From Start>Run type in

control userpasswords2

then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
and then reboot your system.

Or you can use Tweak UI:

You can download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Autologon.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"MiniMe" <minime@your'llneverno.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Before I had sp2 installed, when I turned my computer on, it went straight
> to the Windows loading screen, now I have to see the boot screen menu and
> then the loading screen, can anyone tell me how to set this up so I can
> get rid of the boot screen menu.
>
> Thank you for any help
> MiniMe

minime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002

Hi Will,

Thank you for your quick reply, but it is not the log on screen I am talking
about, it is the boot up screen, you know where it shows you all your system
info, I want to bypass this screen, have you any idea how I can do this.

Thanks again
MiniMe

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:37:40 -0000, MiniMe wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply, but it is not the log on screen I am talking
> about, it is the boot up screen, you know where it shows you all your system
> info, I want to bypass this screen, have you any idea how I can do this.

Are you referring to the POST screens? The ones that list BIOS version,
type of processor, amount of RAM, types of drives installed and so on? If
yes, this is a function of the system board - not Windows. There may be a
setting in the BIOS setup screens that allow a "fast POST" or the option to
display a splash screen instead of system details.

Check your system's manual for the needed method of reaching these
configuration screens (which key/s to press immediately after power is
turned on).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi

Try pressing the Escape key straight after booting.