What will tide me over till vista/DX10?

My computer took a crap about 2 weeks ago and i am going to need another pretty soon. I am going to build it around running Vanguard: Saga of Heroes maily and i am not worried about the fact that Vista is comming because it will be at least six months after there release before i even get vista.

So here i am with a MAX video card budget of $250.00USD. Done extensive research on afew options but i jsut cant pin one down to make a decision. There are so many factors to look at and i have never in my life purchased an ATI card but i will be willing to it there is a better bang for the buck.

Geforce 6600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 2 of these is $228.00 run in SLI

Radeon X1900 AiW 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Score abit higher but seems like it has some heat and size issues? $230.00

Geforce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO couldnt find all that much info on this guy. $230.00

So there are 3 options. If anyone knows of any other or a reason to shoot one of these options down let me know. What is your pick and why?
12 answers Last reply
More about what tide till vista dx10
  1. 6600 is just tooo old (in my opinion) and SLI will never match the quality of single card that is better. 7900GS is suppose to be just as good as the gt (i forget which is better but thats another thread) and the GT has or had the best price to performance ratio.
    have a look for the price to performance ratio on TH....atleast i seem to remember there being one, cant find it now though
    but thats my 2 pence
  2. Forget the 6600GT SLI setup. You mention USD, which doesn't mean you are in the USA. Personally, if you are in the USA, I'd look and see if you can still find a $200 X1800XT 256MB. If not, you could add X1900GT and 7900GT to your list.

The AIW X1900 is a good overclocker, so should be the 7900GS. If sticking to your options I'd go for the 7900GS KO. But I'd rather have a X1800XT or even X1900GT if they are still within budget.
  3. I've found the x1800GTO is great value for money, it's good solid graphics card, which has enough guts to get you threw while your waiting for the next direct x...

Thats my 2cents nway..
  4. Let's shoot down that "Geforce 6600GT in SLI" right away. Basically, running two low end cards in SLI is never worth it. Waste of money. A single newer card will easily beat the 6600GT's in SLI. SLI is generally considered an enthusiast technology for "bleeding performance." Using 6600GTs is kinda contrary to that, since they aren't exactly "bleeding" anymore. 8O

Curious.. why the AiW? Are you doing vid capture/tv? If not, I'd drop that one. Also, X1900GT's can be found for around $250 w/mail-in-rebate.

7900GS is good but you can also find 7900GT's for under $250 w/mail-in-rebate (check out XFX, Leadtek, and MSI).
  5. Quote:
    You mention USD, which doesn't mean you are in the USA.

Ah, I missed that. I think people should mention when they aren't in the US, cause most people assume it. That probably limits his options, specifically considering price.
  6. Im sorry, yes i am in the us. Since this is my first time using this forum i wasnt sure were the majority of the user base was from :oops:

Quote:
    I've found the x1800GTO is great value for money, it's good solid graphics card, which has enough guts to get you threw while your waiting for the next direct x...
    Thanks Danjal

X1800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 is $200.00 from what i have read this is a great OC card and i havent read anything bad about it yet. Only thing is i have never delt with connect3D.

I also found this
    7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 thats recertified for $202.00 Not sure what the gamble is on buying recertified GPUs is. The next cheapest 7900GT i found was $269.

X1900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 IceQ3 $249.00 This card seems like its worth the $. Good OC, and great cooling?

So i have 2 cards i am leaning twards. Would the performence gap between the x1900GT and the x1800gto be worth $50 diffrence?
    It seems from the VGA charts that the x1900gt blows the x1800gto out of the water.

Btw thank you all for the input, you all have been a great help so far.
  7. If you are definitely going to upgrade when DX10 comes out then a single 6600GT is probably a better bet, it'll give playable framerates (albeit at low detail) in just about every game and will save you enough money to get a kickass card when DX10 comes out. my $.02
  8. Quote:
    If you are definitely going to upgrade when DX10 comes out then a single 6600GT is probably a better bet, it'll give playable framerates (albeit at low detail) in just about every game and will save you enough money to get a kickass card when DX10 comes out. my $.02

Yes i will be getting either G80 or R600 not sure untill i see some specs however i think its safe to say i will be waiting for a good 3-6 months after there release before i take the step to spent loads on a copy of Vista and a DX10 card. That way i know everything is working smoothly and i know i am not buying an OS and GPU full of bugs and prematurely released drivers.

I think i am pretty much set on the X1900GT till then, if anyone thinks this a bad choice then lemme have it....

Here is another question...i am not used to dealing with intel MoBos. Is the current top shelf NB the 975X?
  9. My 2 bits:

$200.00 X1800XT (unlikely you'll find it though)
    This 7900GT or the X1900GT you noted, if you want to wait.
    Any flavor of 7900GS that fits your price.

X1900AIW is not the same card as the X1900GT/XT and if IIRC they have much slower core and memory speed and I think you'll get better gaming performance from a 7900GS for less money.

The Intel 965 chipset is also very good.
  10. Quote:
    My 2 bits:

$200.00 X1800XT (unlikely you'll find it though)
    This 7900GT or the X1900GT you noted, if you want to wait.
    Any flavor of 7900GS that fits your price.

X1900AIW is not the same card as the X1900GT/XT and if IIRC they have much slower core and memory speed and I think you'll get better gaming performance from a 7900GS for less money.

The Intel 965 chipset is also very good.

One even cheaper....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127218

Good deal after the rebate. If you can afford that, go for it. Otherwise the x1900 or 7900GS are just fine as well. The 6600GTs can go in the trash can, as SLi for those is completely pointless.
  11. Quote:
    If you are definitely going to upgrade when DX10 comes out then a single 6600GT is probably a better bet, it'll give playable framerates (albeit at low detail) in just about every game and will save you enough money to get a kickass card when DX10 comes out. my $.02

Agreed
  12. Why not just BUY ONE 6600GT i mean if your gonna throw it out three months anyway for a DX10 no use in getting two of them. spend 128+ dallors it will run all your games great and has a low cost. and if something should happen to your new card you always have a reiable card to fall back on.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows Vista PCI Express Graphics Product