how many prefixes?!?

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
ok this is a little post to find out how many prefixs there are and at what level they are in comparason to each other.
now i yern for the days when it was the 9X00 vs the 5X00. where there was SE, standard Pro and XT. (i didnt have a 5 series so sue me). question is, how many prefixes are there?
the ones i can think of are
Nvidia
standard (no pre)
GT
GS
GTX

ATI
standard
XT
XTX
GTO
GTO2

now i dont think that it is including the company based ones
which include
KO
OC
etc.
now can you add to this list? see just how many there are?

4745454b

Titan
You forget that Nvidia has the awful 6800XT, so XT belongs in both camps.

I've also come across someone looking to buy a 7600GTS, WTF is that??? I do my best not to even look at the suffix anymore. Get the number, 6800 or 1900, then start comparing specs. Whats the core/memory frequency? What is the memory interface? How many pipes? How many shaders? Look it up online, where does the performance fit with other chips? Gone are the days where you can say, "but its a 6800, how can it be bad?"

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
well, yea the point is there are too many different standards within a standard...get me?
also i wanna know which is the best and which is worst etc.
i know that for Nvidia the best is GTX
or now it's GX2 for the 7950...
so yea there is a point

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Add "PRO" and "GT" to the ATI list. (ex. X1600 Pro and the X1900 GT)

I believe for the ATI cards it goes SE --> Standard --> Pro --> XL --> XT --> XTX, from worst to best. I believe the GT and GTO cards sit somewhere between the Pro and XL cards but I'm not entirely certian.

Add: Forgot "XT PE" (Platinum Edition) to the ATI list which was used on the X850 XT PE card.