• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

TheBorg

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
This article on geardigest sucks, because it fails to mention the main reason those services suck: they are only available to 5% of the world population, namely the blue-eyed Aryan race located in the "48 contiguous states, Alaska, Hawaii, and the District of Columbia".

I happen to live in Romania, and because of this unfair limitation imposed by the content providers, the only available source for movie downloads is the pirated copies from pirate's bay and other torrent sources.

In the mean time, the content providers complain that people download pirated content, but fail to mention that 95% of the people don't have access to legal downloads.

So, here's my review of the 4 services:

MovieLink:
If you visit www.movielink.com from the country of an "inferior race", you receive this polite message:
Sorry, but Movielink is presently unavailable to users outside of the United States.

CinemaNow:
Well, you can at least access the site, and for a few minutes you start hoping that all is not lost, and you will soon find yourself on the way to legal movie downloading Nirvana...

However, you will soon find that something is wrong. For example, you can't find the movie tomshardware downloaded while reviewing that service (Pirates Of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest).

To your horror, you will notice that the the terms of use contain additional limitations for Disney content: "You agree that the Content will not be shipped, transferred, exported, downloaded or installed outside of the United States." Your only consolation is that a pirated torrent version of "Pirates of the Caribbean" might be available from the Pirate's Bay :)

iTunes
After you install the iTunes software and start it for the first time, you access the iTunes Store and you find the Movies and TV Shows sections.

All your favourite movies and series are available! But of course, there's a catch: at the bottom of the screen is a selection box that reads "My store: United States". As soon as you select a country from the axis of evil, such as UK, Canada or Australia, the Movies and TV Shows are no longer available.

You might think that if an UK guy could buy products from a physical US store, it should be able to do the same from a virtual web store. You would be dead wrong.

But this not something new. At the beginning of the 20th century it was common practice US to deny access to US stores, housing, education, employment, transportation and other facilities, based on arbitrary criteria, such as skin color.

Well, at least you can buy music from iTunes if you live outside United States. Well, not quite. There are 22 iTunes stores for 22 countries. If your country is not on the list (and Romania is not on the list), you can't even download music.

At least the movie trailers work...

Amazon
After you click on a movie title from the Amazon Unbox service, you are treated with this message:
"Only available for US customers located in the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Hawaii, and the District of Columbia."

So it seems that United States and the movie industry has one message for us, the non-US guys: "We don't want you to buy our products, we don't want your money, we don't want you to access our web stores, but we don't want you to download our content illegally either."

Did I mention how much this sucks?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Sure, US sites, you can sell movies to our citizens via the Internet, but we have a few catches: We don't want your crappy DRM. We demand you use ours, and abide by our laws. No, we won't help you with that, because we have competing services starting up in our borders and we'd like to give them a good chance at success.

That's all, thanks.
Not that I'm defending the States, but there is another side to that coin. I know I exaggerated, so don't bother with that. Focus your mind instead on whether you really want more DRM and beta services in your life...

And don't let me see you complaining on Chinese forums because you want to use Internet 2. :p

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
This article on geardigest..blah..blah..blah...<insert racist comment here>...blah..blah..blah.

Please remove any "inferior race" comments and replace with "Inferior Intelligence". Those sites block you because your IQ is so small. Next time before your mom turns on the computer and logs you in, ask her to put you back by the window instead so you can lick the "nature" off of it...

And why do you feel the need to play the race card?? Are you really that ignorant?? BTW the "blue-eyed Aryan race" was considered Germany, or have you not got that far in your history books?? Have your mom wiki search Adolf Hitler and WWII (sorry World War II). I would have figured that living in Romania you would have heard of it by now.

Now when you feel the need to play the race card again to prove a point remember that you are just going to look unintelligent(stupid) and ignorant(people like you keep racism alive). Now go sod off.

PS stick to: http://tomshardware.co.uk/
not http://www.tomshardware.com
It will help you avoid US related articles.

TheViper

Distinguished
TheBorg, perhaps if those countries lifted certain import taxes or made doing business with the foreign nation much friendlier it might have a better international penetration.

Case in point, Brazil finally allowed the PS2 (not PS3, but PS2) to be officially released but because of the way they handle imports the market cost is outrageous at almost $500 USD.

On the flip side, why has Romania not established it's own video on demand service? And if they have, why is it not offered in the US? does that suggest Romania is racist against the multiracial and diverse nation of the US?

TRENDING THREADS