Myst Newbie - Which books to read for backstory of Revelat..

lister

Hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing Myst IV Revelations for a relative of mine for
Christmas. Neither of us has played any of the Myst games and I gather
there is a substantial backstory which would be useful to know about when
playing.

Can anyone recommend which books to read. We won't be playing the original
Myst anytime soon.

Thanks,
Lister

grey

> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of purchasing Myst IV Revelations for a relative of mine for
> Christmas. Neither of us has played any of the Myst games and I gather
> there is a substantial backstory which would be useful to know about when
> playing.
>
> Can anyone recommend which books to read. We won't be playing the original
> Myst anytime soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Lister

Myst games are really only about solving puzzles. The back ground story is
really a small tenuous rationalisation behind the puzzles and the
characters/worlds therein.

There are/were some books printed which I believe prequels the original
Myst, but I am not aware of any stories about Myst 4, apart from the story
threads which run through the Myst games.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, just play the game and enjoy it.

Graham

"Grey" <grahame9@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am thinking of purchasing Myst IV Revelations for a relative of mine
>> for
>> Christmas. Neither of us has played any of the Myst games and I gather
>> there is a substantial backstory which would be useful to know about when
>> playing.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend which books to read. We won't be playing the
>> original
>> Myst anytime soon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lister
>
> Myst games are really only about solving puzzles. The back ground story is
> really a small tenuous rationalisation behind the puzzles and the
> characters/worlds therein.

I must disagree. The Myst games have a very rich and detailed story, with a
very complex history. Knowing this story can greatly improve your enjoyment
of the games.

Unfortunately, there are no real books that can help you get up to speed on
the story you've missed in Myst, Riven and Exile. There are books, but they
serve as an addendum to the games. The three books delve into the history of
Myst, the first telling the tale of Atrus (book of Atrus), the second some
of the history of D'ni (book of Ti'ana), and the third about the Atrus'
attempt to revive D'ni civilisation, which I believe takes place between
Riven and Exile (Book of D'ni). These books are out of print, but can be
found at online second hand stores.

You can play the game on its own. You'll miss some of the references, but
it's not completely incomprehensible. It's certainly not any less possible
to solve the puzzles without knowing the entire story. You will however
enjoy the game more if you do know the story.

The ideal order, imho, would be this:
1. Play Myst.
2. Read Myst: The Book of Atrus
3. Play Riven
4. Read Myst: The Book of Ti'ana
5. Read Myst: The Book of D'ni
6. Play Exile
7. Play Uru + expansion packs (not necessary, but I wouldn't recommend
playing it before doing steps 1 through 6).
8. Play Revelation.

Again, there's no real need to follow this. If you've got Myst 4, just play
it, and enjoy.

--
Unforgiven

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Myst books have been recently been reprinted. The Myst Reader contains
all three books in one volume and is currently available from Amazon, and
probably other sources.

As the others have said, you don't need to read the books to enjoy the
games, but I'm glad I read them.

Bob

"Unforgiven" <jaapd4000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Grey" <grahame9@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am thinking of purchasing Myst IV Revelations for a relative of mine
>>> for
>>> Christmas. Neither of us has played any of the Myst games and I gather
>>> there is a substantial backstory which would be useful to know about
>>> when
>>> playing.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend which books to read. We won't be playing the
>>> original
>>> Myst anytime soon.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lister
>>
>> Myst games are really only about solving puzzles. The back ground story
>> is
>> really a small tenuous rationalisation behind the puzzles and the
>> characters/worlds therein.
>
> I must disagree. The Myst games have a very rich and detailed story, with
> a very complex history. Knowing this story can greatly improve your
> enjoyment of the games.
>
> Unfortunately, there are no real books that can help you get up to speed
> on the story you've missed in Myst, Riven and Exile. There are books, but
> they serve as an addendum to the games. The three books delve into the
> history of Myst, the first telling the tale of Atrus (book of Atrus), the
> second some of the history of D'ni (book of Ti'ana), and the third about
> the Atrus' attempt to revive D'ni civilisation, which I believe takes
> place between Riven and Exile (Book of D'ni). These books are out of
> print, but can be found at online second hand stores.
>
> You can play the game on its own. You'll miss some of the references, but
> it's not completely incomprehensible. It's certainly not any less possible
> to solve the puzzles without knowing the entire story. You will however
> enjoy the game more if you do know the story.
>
> The ideal order, imho, would be this:
> 1. Play Myst.
> 2. Read Myst: The Book of Atrus
> 3. Play Riven
> 4. Read Myst: The Book of Ti'ana
> 5. Read Myst: The Book of D'ni
> 6. Play Exile
> 7. Play Uru + expansion packs (not necessary, but I wouldn't recommend
> playing it before doing steps 1 through 6).
> 8. Play Revelation.
>
> Again, there's no real need to follow this. If you've got Myst 4, just
> play it, and enjoy.
>
> --
> Unforgiven

Well Jeez, guys, if All Else Fails you can find all three Myst books at your
local public library (gasp!). I know that means you have to go out of the
house, but that's where I found them ... ;-)

I'll throw in my vote as saying they are very enjoyable and definitely worth
reading.

~RL

"Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> Well Jeez, guys, if All Else Fails you can find all three Myst books at
> your local public library (gasp!). I know that means you have to go out
> of the house, but that's where I found them ... ;-)

Not necessarily. According to bibliotheek.nl, Dutch libraries only have the
Dutch translation of the book of Atrus in their collection, and then I even
doubt many of them will have this book readily available.

--
Unforgiven

Oops, me bad... I see now the OP was posting from the UK - I thought the
"Sparta" in the header was Sparta, NY.

Oh well, I dare say that every public library in New Mexico probably has
them... ;-)

~RL