MS Reader pagination and more

January 15, 2005 8:52:06 AM

I have a huge colection of ebooks in .lit format on a CF card. I was
using a PDA with Windows PPC2002 and every book worked fine but I
have a new PDA (Asus a730) that is running Windows Mobile 2003. The
files still open and are found in the library but they no longer work
the same way. I can no longer tap by the page number and move ahead. I
can no longer choose to go to the last page I was reading. In fact the
ONLY way to read the book is by using the scroll button but I can't
bookmark or paginate or anything.

I did install the latest version of MS Reader that I could find at
Microsoft's site (ver 2.3)

What am I missing?

More about : reader pagination

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:00:41 AM

Jane Austin <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a huge colection of ebooks in .lit format on a CF card. I was
>using a PDA with Windows PPC2002 and every book worked fine but I
>have a new PDA (Asus a730) that is running Windows Mobile 2003. The
>files still open and are found in the library but they no longer work
>the same way. I can no longer tap by the page number and move ahead. I
>can no longer choose to go to the last page I was reading. In fact the
>ONLY way to read the book is by using the scroll button but I can't
>bookmark or paginate or anything.
>
>I did install the latest version of MS Reader that I could find at
>Microsoft's site (ver 2.3)
>
>What am I missing?

I forget the exact extension, but try this. Save all of your .LIT
files and delete the other files in the ebook folder, then put the
..LIT's back and reopen them. They will get repaginated but they
*should* work properly after that. You might want to try this with one
ebook first to make sure that fixes it. You will lose your bookmarks,
notes, etc. They *may* be in the \annotations folder under My
Documents.
January 16, 2005 8:07:11 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:00:41 -0600, "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile
Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:

>Jane Austin <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a huge colection of ebooks in .lit format on a CF card. I was
>>using a PDA with Windows PPC2002 and every book worked fine but I
>>have a new PDA (Asus a730) that is running Windows Mobile 2003. The
>>files still open and are found in the library but they no longer work
>>the same way. I can no longer tap by the page number and move ahead. I
>>can no longer choose to go to the last page I was reading. In fact the
>>ONLY way to read the book is by using the scroll button but I can't
>>bookmark or paginate or anything.
>>
>>I did install the latest version of MS Reader that I could find at
>>Microsoft's site (ver 2.3)
>>
>>What am I missing?
>
>I forget the exact extension, but try this. Save all of your .LIT
>files and delete the other files in the ebook folder, then put the
>.LIT's back and reopen them. They will get repaginated but they
>*should* work properly after that. You might want to try this with one
>ebook first to make sure that fixes it. You will lose your bookmarks,
>notes, etc. They *may* be in the \annotations folder under My
>Documents.

Thanks I tried it with a couple of ebooks. They don't work at first
but if I open them and read a few pages (using the directional button
on the PDA) then go back to the cover page after a minute or two all
the other options kick in. If I reopen the same book I get the same
symptoms every time. I guess it's just a very slow start. Not sure
what it is that's slowing things down but this is a work around at
least.
!