Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard drive 'throttles' on FIRST start up

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 11, 2006 5:08:22 PM

[/img]I have a Seagate 7200.9 160 GB hardrive that works just fine, except after turning it on for the first time, after I've shut it down the night before.

Every morning I turn on my computer my hard drive sounds like it's trying to spin faster than it can. It sounds kind of like a car revving it's engine.

i have to shut down my computer and then turn it back on again, and everything is fine.

There doesn't seem to be any loss of data, all my programs run fine.
And S.M.A.R.T. readings are good:



(or here: http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/davmalu369/SMART1...)

The only thing I've noticed decrease is "Power On Hours Count".
Nothing else has changed.

This all started a couple of days after I upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache to a GeForce 7600 GT. I don't know how that would cause my problems...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Also: I recorded the sound it makes, but I'm not entirely sure how to share that with you guys?
September 11, 2006 9:06:23 PM

Most hard drive require extra power to get them spinning after which their powerneeds diminish by up to 50%.

It could be that with your new graphics card, your PSU doesn't have what it takes to powerup everything from a cold start.

When you hit reset you are doing a warm restart which demands less power.

I suppose a drive might get extra noisy as it tries to rev up to 7200 RPM but can't make it.

Anyway its just a wild guess.

Usually when I add too many hard drives I end up with a crash happy system that fails prime95, not one that makes weird noises.

If you switch back to the low powered card and the problem goes away then I would think about switching power supplies.

A second possiblity is that the drive is litterally too cold when you first start it, unsually that only happens in winter, but you never know.

A third possiblity is that the noise you are hearing is coming from a fan and not the hard drive itself.

Finally the hard drive could be going bad and its just more realiable after a warm boot.

Anyway try switching back to the old video card and that should let you rule out any power issues.


PS most people use Rapid Share to freely host files for public download, but everyone then has to wait 60 seconds before downloading, unless either you or the person downloading upgrades from the free account.
September 11, 2006 11:00:12 PM

Quote:
Most hard drive require extra power to get them spinning after which their powerneeds diminish by up to 50%.

It could be that with your new graphics card, your PSU doesn't have what it takes to powerup everything from a cold start.

When you hit reset you are doing a warm restart which demands less power.

I suppose a drive might get extra noisy as it tries to rev up to 7200 RPM but can't make it.

Anyway its just a wild guess.

Usually when I add too many hard drives I end up with a crash happy system that fails prime95, not one that makes weird noises.

If you switch back to the low powered card and the problem goes away then I would think about switching power supplies.

A second possiblity is that the drive is litterally too cold when you first start it, unsually that only happens in winter, but you never know.

A third possiblity is that the noise you are hearing is coming from a fan and not the hard drive itself.

Finally the hard drive could be going bad and its just more realiable after a warm boot.

Anyway try switching back to the old video card and that should let you rule out any power issues.


PS most people use Rapid Share to freely host files for public download, but everyone then has to wait 60 seconds before downloading, unless either you or the person downloading upgrades from the free account.


I have the 350W PSU that came w/ the computer.

So the problem might be that because I shut down my computer at night as well as the UPS, the PSU (when I first turn it on) can't deliver enough power to the hard drive?

About the cold thing, as of late when I check speed fan, after I've logged on, the hard drive is around 19C then climbs up to usually 24-26 on a cool day.

I can't swap back to the old card because it was damaged.

I'll just buy a new PSU (probably the Thermaltake Purepower 680W), which i was going to have to do at some point anyway and see if that's the problem. If it ends up being the hard drive then I'll just contact Seagate because the drive is still under warranty.

Thanks for your help! :) 


Here's a link to the recording if anyone's interested:
http://h1.ripway.com/w10537237/121472-DW_A0015.wav
Related resources
September 11, 2006 11:36:58 PM

I've never heard a HDD sound like that...
I'm more inclined to think its the video card fan since it was recently changed. The HDD was ok before that.

Kind of sounds like a ball bearing failure?
I had a ball bearing fail like that once before, I steadied it w/ my finger and it would spin ok for a while. Perhaps you could try that, just lightly touch the video card fan (center) and steady it. Of course make sure you've gotten rid of any static from yourself.
September 12, 2006 12:12:27 AM

Quote:
I've never heard a HDD sound like that...
I'm more inclined to think its the video card fan since it was recently changed. The HDD was ok before that.

Kind of sounds like a ball bearing failure?
I had a ball bearing fail like that once before, I steadied it w/ my finger and it would spin ok for a while. Perhaps you could try that, just lightly touch the video card fan (center) and steady it. Of course make sure you've gotten rid of any static from yourself.



the fan on the XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX edition is really really small

it's the hard drive, i checked, plus the vibration is crazy.

I'm not too worried about this though, i've got all my important files backed up on the Seagate 7200.7 that came w/ the computer in an external enclosure along with my music and video files. I am thinking of buying another enclosure and hard drive and creating a complete back up/copy of my main hard drive, because it's a pain in the a** to re-install all the programs.
September 12, 2006 12:15:16 AM

Well i hope that new PSU will solve it then!
Hm well hopefully the graphics card isn't too loud either. The smaller the fan is, the louder it gets at higher speeds.

I hear ya about reinstalling everything... ugh what a waste of 4-5 hrs.

:?
September 12, 2006 12:26:07 AM

Quote:
Well i hope that new PSU will solve it then!
Hm well hopefully the graphics card isn't too loud either. The smaller the fan is, the louder it gets at higher speeds.

I hear ya about reinstalling everything... ugh what a waste of 4-5 hrs.

:?


thanks :) 
i don't notice my fans too much since I have the volume cranked up whenever I play F.E.A.R.

whenever i'm not doing anything intensive its just a humming sound.

yeah i've had to re-install the OS along with all my programs 3 or 4 times already and I got this computer in February...
September 12, 2006 6:49:33 PM

Why are you not backing up your OS with a program like True Image 9? Then it takes under 15 minute to get everthing working the way it used to.

I do a backup before making any software changes and again afterwards if nothing went wrong.

Or you can just do a schedule a backup whenver you power down your PC.

Some people like to keep a daily, weekly and monthly backup.

I also like to keep a backup make after a clean install.

The point is no reason to install Windows XP more than once per motherboard.
September 12, 2006 7:27:05 PM

Quote:
Why are you not backing up your OS with a program like True Image 9? Then it takes under 15 minute to get everthing working the way it used to.

I do a backup before making any software changes and again afterwards if nothing went wrong.

Or you can just do a schedule a backup whenver you power down your PC.

Some people like to keep a daily, weekly and monthly backup.

I also like to keep a backup make after a clean install.

The point is no reason to install Windows XP more than once per motherboard.




yeah that's what i asked myself after those times, but I never got to it
but I plan on doing it now, i've been reading the suggestions people made here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/create-exact-cl...
September 20, 2006 4:20:31 PM

Just to close this topic:
I got my 680W PSU on Monday, I've also been leaving the UPS on. It did not solve the problem and now my S.M.A.R.T. readings seem to be getting worse, mostly the "Hardware ECC Recovered":

Original Post:


Now:



I'll be contacting Seagate.

Thanks again for your help.
September 20, 2006 5:34:14 PM

I have a Compaq computer that will sound JUST LIKE THAT when I take the power plug and disconnect it from the UPS. Then the first time I power up, it makes that sound, but after shutting down and starting back up again, it does not make the sound any more. So, on the one that I own, every thing works ok, and is nice and quiet. :D 
!