althon 3800 x2 temps

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
When i first built my machine it would run 59c with Radio Shack heat sink compound. Now it is getting up to 68c ive tried putting now compound on but it doesnt seem to help. I have taken messures to keeping it cool by putting the case on my air Register and let the air condition blow into the case. this keeps it to 62c and steady my fan works when it gets so high it cranks at 5900 apms its the stock fan

makrossv

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Get Arctic Silver 5 if you are skilled in applying that stuff. You can get Arctic Silver Ceramique if you are not that dextrous. I also recommend getting the Arctic Cooling 64 Pro from newegg. That will keep you below 50 degrees full load. Your temps ARE outrageously high for even an overclocked chip.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
someone is having serious problems! on stock speeds mine used to idle at 28C and peak at 38C @ 3100rpm, now the fan is running lower speed and its 35C idle and 45C peak @ 2100rpm.

do as above^^ because you shouldnt be getting them temps even if you overclock.

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Sweet thanks for the quick response I put a house fan blowing air into the side with the case open. got it down to 54c I'm going to go buy some artic silver 5 today and look at the cooling fan recommended

THanks a whole lot. My first build i had a duron 600mghz and thought the pink thing on the fan was cooling gel. I was mistaken it was running 89c i thought it was normal but found out differently. It ran good though no troubles but i figured i would ask about this hehe i didnt think it was right

makrossv

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Forgot to tell you to not use the spread it all over the chip method. Put a "long grain rice" sized in the middle of your x2 chip and then push the hsf on it and turn clockwise and counterclockwise downward a couple times and lock in your hsf. I oc to 2.8ghz and it maxes no higher than 54deg under extreme 100% stress test loads. Heavy gaming takes it to 49deg.

Sweet thanks for the quick response I put a house fan blowing air into the side with the case open. got it down to 54c I'm going to go buy some artic silver 5 today and look at the cooling fan recommended

THanks a whole lot. My first build i had a duron 600mghz and thought the pink thing on the fan was cooling gel. I was mistaken it was running 89c i thought it was normal but found out differently. It ran good though no troubles but i figured i would ask about this hehe i didnt think it was right

case cooling?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
1) Purchase Arctic Silver.
2) Remove HS/F.
3) Clean off existing thermal paste with isoproyl alcohol on an antistatic cloth. Make sure to clean off the top of the CPU and the bottom of the HS/F.
4) Apply a pea-sized dab of Arctic Silver onto the top of the CPU.
5) Use a credit card to spread the AS into a thin, even layer on top of the CPU.
6) Reinstall HS/F, insuring that it's making good contact with the CPU.

tada -ducky

jamse

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
think about getting a good case thats all aluminum and has good air flow. my 3800 x2 stays at 40-1c idle and goes up to 46c under a heavy load.

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I am using Speedfan but i will give that a try.

oh and i know gaming musn't be your thing but a geforce2 come on man. [\quote]

Yeah just using that till i get an upgrade not sure if i should get one now or wait til the new GPUs come out then the others will be lower =)

I am wanting to get a different case. The case im using is old school athlon thunderbird type case from Generic INC.

I have 1 system fan in the front sucking in air and 1 blowing out the back

TRENDING THREADS