OC Block!??!! Ps..I have boobs, pls help me.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
My new system is up and running (see sig for details). I followed the instructions in Wusys C2D guide. Got my vcore at 1.4 and i cant seem to break 380fsb without dual primes failing. What steps should i take to fix this? Increase vcore to 1.45? Increase vdimm (its at +.3v atm)? Plz help!

PPSS.. I dont really have boobs, but they seem to help get responces, so this is all you get. ( . )Y( . ) :twisted:

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
lol 140 views in 60 mins and not a single responce =(

Maybe it's because people hate being made fools of.

As far as your overclocking problem, 3ghz isn't bad at all. Have you gotten the latest bios for your mobo? If you increase the voltage by one incrament, how much higher can you get your fsb? If it's only 1-2mhz, or none at all, your motherboard has probably hit it's limit. Every motherboard, ram, and cpu overclock different. Also check out ram timings, and make sure they aren't getting stressed.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1661306&posted=1#post1661306

Check out that post and you'll find more answers than you want to.

-F5 is the latest BIOS off of the Gigabyte wesbite. Get it, I hear good things (I have to do it myself)

-What brand of ram is it and whats the voltage? I have Corsair XMS2 and it hates being over-volted needlessly. Don't over-volt it too much

-I don't know why everyone needs to volt up the VCore so much, I'm at 2.92Ghz and only upped it by 2 or 3 increments (like 10 more would be 1.4v)
-There's 10 thousand theories and things to try in that post...Hope you have a couple days to read it all.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I have the newest F5 Bios. I read if i cange the pcie mhz from 100 to auto people were able to get more out of it. Ill give that a try. I have G.Skill mem @ 2.1v, which seems to be fine. I ran mem test over night without any problems.

thx for the info

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
WOOT!! I changed my PCI E Freq to Auto and i broke 380, infact im up to 385 now with not problems after an hour..Willl i seen any perfromace loss from changing it from 100 to auto? I also lowered my vdimm from +.3v to +.2v nad put a 40mm fan on my Northbridge.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I don't know about performance loss of the PCI-E freq. I'd say just go with what can let you OC higher. I would've liked to put a fan on my NB but my Zalman 9500 won't allow it, and I'm not gonna get that weird fan thats at an angle blah blah. I'd rather just get a Corsair Cool Water, a GPU block, and a NB block all for under $200 and never have to worry about airflow, fan noise, or too-hot temps again. Then I'll get back in the OC'ing game

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
well i ran prime again same exact settings and it lasted only 2 min this time. I noticed my vcore was set to 1.4 but in cpuz it was only using 1.36-1.375. So i lowered it to 1.38, i also lowered my vdimm, mch and vfsb to all +.1v. Prime is running now and has been for roughly 10 mins. What i dont understand is that my temps are fine, only about 45c full load. What could be causing it to fail?

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
well for an update i got it running stable at 385 for 3 hours. I bumped it up to 390 and we will see how it fares over night. For people having the same trouble i did, this is what i did.

MCH +.1V
Vcore 1.386
vFSB +.1V
vDIMM +.1V
I also changed the PCI-E Freq back to auto. And put a small fan on my North bridge.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
well i woke up at 2am and it ran at 390fsb for over 6hrs, i set it to 395fsband it ran for over 3hrs. Its now at 400fsb, ill let you all know how does.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
riiight,
sounds like sum1 is a bit bitter for being the 1600th person to view this thread lol.

Told yahs boobs would work. =)

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
lol 140 views in 60 mins and not a single responce =(

Maybe it's because people hate being made fools of.They're making fools of themselves, if they rush in to help....just thinking that the OP has titties. :wink:

Heh, trust me, I wasn't expecting to see any ( o Y o ). Besides, I have access to google images. I don't need petty boobs. I actually came here to give him some advice.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Same here. I was curious to see any OC advice given as thats one area I'm not very well versed in with PCs.

As a side note I'm much more of a butt man myself. Boobs are nice don't get me wrong but a lady with a badonkadonk sure catches my attention more quickly rofl :)

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Well OCNewb...I just tried 400 fsb myself...the memtest passes fine, but dual Prime fails after a couple of min and Dual Small FFT test fails in a bout .03 seconds. :) Seems to be that way no matter my voltage.
However, I just ran 390 for awhile and it seems fine. Coretemp however reports 58C while that runs...So I'm thinking and a hoping, that maybe I'm being blocked by CPU and NB temperature as I don't have a fan on the NB and my job of putting on the HSF was shotty. So when I get my hands on a liquid cooling system, I'm hoping I'll be able to go higher. As of right now I know my memory is fine, its the cpu that won't do 400fsb

How did your 400fsb test go?

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
im up to 405 now for about 4 hrs and my temps are still in the 40's(33idle-45load. Did you change your PCIE Freq back to auto? Whats your vcore set too? Also dont run dual FFT. I assume you know how to run dual prime95's. Click Blend and then custom. Change the "Memory to use (im MB)" to just under half of your total memory for each session. I have 2gb and i set them both to 900. Also make sure you change the affinity.
Another tip is to watch CPUZ for your vcore. If u have it set to 1.4 and u notice it doesnt go over 1.375 then change that in your vcore in the bios. Im up to 405 fsb and im still at 1.386 vcore.
I dont know how much of a difference the fan is making that I put on my North Bridge, but things have gone alot better since making all those changes.

I also see u use core temp, dont rely on that. It is known to be off by about 10c. If u have the DS3 use the Easy Tune 5 utility taht came with the mobo. Or u can get the newest one off their website.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Aye I know how to dual prime95..but why not dual fft? FFT is supposed to isolate just the proc to make sure that's all fine and dandy. It passes at 390 but not 400...So I figured at that point its the proc/temp. I'm at 1.375v Vcore now in BIOS. Shouldn't I trust the setting in BIOS and NOT the CPU-Z reading?
I used EasyTune before, but then I heard so many people bash it and say CoreTemp was better. So I use both, Easy Tune reads generally 7-10C lower than CoreTemp.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I used core temp and it said my idle temps were in the low 40's, when i went into my bios they were in the low 30s. I also used PC Wizard which also reported my temps in the low 30s, so i ruled core temp out. Easy Tune was the closest thing i could find to what my bios was actually reading. I also read somewhere that people using usb keyboards were unable to break 400fsb till they changed them to ps2. Im using a ps2 kb now. I only use CPUZ to read my mhz and my vcore. Mine will bounce around between 1.36 and 1.376. Thats why my vcore is at 1.38. I just upped my fsb to 410 and it failed after 8 mins. I will try upping my vore a notch and my vDimm and see how it goes.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
yeah I remember all the crazy stories of plugging mice and keyboards in and out blah blah and I said "screw that" its just not worth the bullcrap for a few extra Mhz. Oh well...I guess I'll see what happens with some liquid cooling later. Im at 3.1Ghz or so and that's not too shabby I guess. Like I said I upped my Vcore over 1.4v at some point as a test and it didn't work so I doubt upping vcore is going to help me anymore.