whats wrong? why do i lag?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
ok i play BF2 alot and CoD2. when smoke or and explosion around me hits BOOM lag. i have a Geforce 6200 LE pci-E 256 MB. my settings are low/medium. are the pixel shadders responsible for the lag, vram, Gpu?
my cpu only runs at 70-80%. Reason i want to know is because i want to buy a better graphics card like a 7600 (under $200) and i dont want to have this problem again.

also i dont even have lighting and shadows on and i wish i caould have them on because explosions dont look like explosions.

How do you measure your frame rate? my gameplay isnt exactly smooth and i know i need 35 FPS.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
It's most likely your video card. 6200 series cards are crap, especially the 6200le. The "LE" should stand for "Lags on Everything". What are the rest of your specs?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
i know its not the processor and i need 512 mb of ram but this isnt realy my big question. my question is what am i lacking not enough pixel shadders, video ram, Gpu, memory interface (on the graphics card)?

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Just buy 7900GT (for a little over $240 or so I think) and all of your problems will go bye bye. I used to play BF2 with a 6200 on my P4 w/ 2 gigs of RAM. When smoke was around I had teh same problem. Do you overclock your card? Cuz that'd help cure it a bit of course too.
But now I have a conroe and a 7900GT...all settings are on max and I run anywhere from 90-100fps. It's so beautiful. Like a whole new game.
Its like putting on my glasses when I was all blurry without them.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
prozac26 is right. You're talking about a 4 pipe, 32-bit (64-bit if you're lucky), 64MB (128MB if you're lucky) of slow GDDR2 memory, card. 256MB means it capable of using an additional 128MB of system RAM which isn't a great idea.

Honestly every aspect of the card makes it unfit for gaming. It's meant for low-end office tasks and not gaming.

A 7600GT, X1800GTO, or 7900GS would allow you to run your games the way you want. Depending on the rest of your hardware, that 805D will also overclock well, but expect the CPU temps to rise.

kaleb_zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005
i know its not the processor and i need 512 mb of ram but this isnt realy my big question. my question is what am i lacking not enough pixel shadders, video ram, Gpu, memory interface (on the graphics card)?

Smoke in most modern games like BF2 or CoD2 is done by use of volumetrically alphablended billboard sprites, and heavily taxes vram bandwidth (faster video memory needed) and straight-up pixel crunching (not so much shaders but fill-rate - faster pixel fillrate needed) power. A video card with faster VRAM and/or more/faster pixel pipelines would help your problem. If your video card uses turbocache (where system memory is used as video memory) then faster system memory *might* improve performance MARGINALLY but you would still see a huge lag spike when such effects occur in a game.

Even a cheap video card such as the 7300GS (EVGA version is around $60 US, 256MB GDDR2 video ram onboard + 256mb turbocache when > 1GB system memory installed) would give you improved performance.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Just buy 7900GT (for a little over $240 or so I think) and all of your problems will go bye bye. I used to play BF2 with a 6200 on my P4 w/ 2 gigs of RAM. When smoke was around I had teh same problem. Do you overclock your card? Cuz that'd help cure it a bit of course too.
But now I have a conroe and a 7900GT...all settings are on max and I run anywhere from 90-100fps. It's so beautiful. Like a whole new game.
Its like putting on my glasses when I was all blurry without them.

i havent got the slightest clue on how to overclock my video card i can overclock processor but not ram or video card.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The "LE" should stand for "Lags on Everything".

The "SE" should stand for "Sucks at Everything". I'm trying to think of what "XT" should stand for.

To the OP: Your problem is definately your video card; I'd get this BFG Tech GF7600GT, which should play BF2 on high with a decent framerate.

EDIT: BF2 is a RAM-hungry game; upgrade to 2GB if you want totally smooth gameplay. Otherwise, the game will lag and stutter as the map data is continually being accessed from the swap file. However, you should't upgrade the RAM until you upgrade the video card. You might want to do the two at the same time.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
ok i play BF2 alot and CoD2. when smoke or and explosion around me hits BOOM lag. i have a Geforce 6200 LE pci-E 256 MB. my settings are low/medium. are the pixel shadders responsible for the lag, vram, Gpu?
my cpu only runs at 70-80%. Reason i want to know is because i want to buy a better graphics card like a 7600 (under $200) and i dont want to have this problem again.

also i dont even have lighting and shadows on and i wish i caould have them on because explosions dont look like explosions.

How do you measure your frame rate? my gameplay isnt exactly smooth and i know i need 35 FPS.

A 7600GT defintely change things for the better completely. Also, if you have the money, or when you have more, look into buying another gig of ram. That will also improve your performance as well.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The "SE" should stand for "Sucks at Everything". I'm trying to think of what "XT" should stand for.
XT = "Xtremely Titless". :lol:
Xtremely Testicaless?

XT=Xtremely Tired :D

XTX= Xtreme...Totally......Xtreme
I will leave GX2 to you guys :p

SilentKiller5

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
i have a Geforce 6200 LE pci-E 256 MB. my settings are low/medium.

also i dont even have lighting and shadows on and i wish i could have them on because explosions dont look like explosions.

Sounds kinda funny cause my AIW 9600 does better then that... it manages 25 fps or so with medium settings at 1024x768 (but it ALWAYS seems to slow down at warlord, especially in the palace... meh).

Anyways, your 6200LE is utter crap, so go get a better card, even a 7600GT would push some good settings on BF2.

Xonitex

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Yep...my 9600 gets about 25-30 fps with medium settings, too (1024x768). You could probably run the game at full settings and get smooth frames (40+) with a 7600GT or better...check out the benchmarks. Anyways, wolfman140, you're probably hitting over 100 fps but Battlefield 2 is capped. I'm trying to figure out how to turn it off in the demo right now...