3500+ to 2800+ transition

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
A friend of mine wants to transfer a HD with windowsXP installed from an A64 3500+ machine (S939) to a Sempron 2800+ one (S754). Will Windows boot without problems?

P.S:Even the chipsets are the same(K8M800) and the board are both Asus; A8V-MX to K8V-MX.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
A friend of mine wants to transfer a HD with windowsXP installed from an A64 3500+ machine (S939) to a Sempron 2800+ one (S754). Will Windows boot without problems?

P.S:Even the chipsets are the same(K8M800) and the board are both Asus; A8V-MX to K8V-MX.

It might, but it might also have some serious issues with that kind of a move.

Not 100% sure about this, but WinXP doesn't like when new hardware is being used with old hardware settings still within WinXP. It's weird, since it mostly affects just mainboards, not so much CPUs. I have switched CPUs with no issues, but when I change out mobos, it goes nuts, either not booting or when it does boot, I had errors all over the place.

Once choice is to re-install WinXP on the same drive but rename the folder. This is one way to keep all the data on the same drive, but all programs will be unavailable, and having 2 WinXP OSes in the same drive might create more problems.

Why doesn't your friend just backup the data he needs and use a fresh install of WinXP? It would be the best way, and not have any issues, minus the ones that came with WinXP.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Why doesn't your friend just backup the data he needs and use a fresh install of WinXP?

Because he wants a fast move; however if it does not work he'll be forced to take the long way. However, don't know now XP 32 bit will react but I know the x64 is very adaptable; 1 week agoI transferred my HD (XPx64 demo) to a friends CeleronD machine... A64 to CeleronD and it booted without even displaying an error message.

Datablitz

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
This has a chance to work but it's deffinetelly going to be buggy as hell. WinXP, as any other OS has a problem changing mobo because it has different drivers for all the basic buses and bridges, the chipset and the memory controller (obsolete since 939), ATA controller and such. It is not advisable to do such a move as it will undoubtedly result in either an unbootable machine or one you cannot really recover from the myriad of crashes.

And in case you are wondering, yes I have been that lazy on occasion and have indeed first hand experience.

Just my two cents.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
:roll: Looks scary... I have moved my HD from a celeron 333Mhz to a 2Ghz machine some 3 years ago and nothing happened.
This has a chance to work but it's deffinetelly going to be buggy as hell. WinXP, as any other OS has a problem changing mobo because it has different drivers for all the basic buses and bridges, the chipset and the memory controller (obsolete since 939)
I specified before that the chipset is the same (K8M800 family) and the memorey controller... I remind you it's inside the K8 CPUs not on the chipsets. And the 939/AM2 memory controller is still the most efficient available.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
:roll: Looks scary... I have moved my HD from a celeron 333Mhz to a 2Ghz machine some 3 years ago and nothing happened.
This has a chance to work but it's deffinetelly going to be buggy as hell. WinXP, as any other OS has a problem changing mobo because it has different drivers for all the basic buses and bridges, the chipset and the memory controller (obsolete since 939)
I specified before that the chipset is the same (K8M800 family) and the memorey controller... I remind you it's inside the K8 CPUs not on the chipsets.

It's not just the CPU or if the same chipset is being used. It's about the drivers and such that WinXP is configured to, that might cause issues.

He can try it, and it might work fine. But it could also just not boot, or might boot, then cause more problems. Either way, he could just try it and if anything, reinstall the OS later.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I know there are two ways;1- it wors 2-it does not work. Just want to hear from someone who has already done something like (AMD CPU to AMD CPU).

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Even if the move does work... theres no guarantee that other problems won't crop up. Not sure about this, but you could uninstall the cpu and motherboard related drivers on the Athlon64, shut it down, and then transfer the hard drive so windows detects the sempron drivers upon booting up. Don't know if this will work, but it's the best I can think of.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I would say go for it dude....just make sure that you have back ups of any data that might be critical or would really suck if you lost it due to corruption. I have done more drastic transitions that you are talking about doing and had little to no problems. Same chipset and similar memory controllers between the chips I would say do it man. I'll tell you that since I put images of all the software I use on my windows XP installations on a hard drive and set up a RAID 0 configuration, installs take only about half the time they used to!

ikaz

Distinguished
Yeah just make sure you back up your information and then you may want to run sysprep on the XP first (you can download it from MS and it maybe on your XP CD at work) that should strip most of the hardware infomation as long as your not going from SCSI or IDE or something like that it should work.

distortion

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
This most likely won't work because windows 2000, XP, and so on have protection against that (using serial numbers and device ID's). Microsoft says that only a certain number of components can be changed within a given time frame for windows to keep working. If you transfer the OS all at once, then expect a BSoD. That's what I got migrating from one of my computers to the other.

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
if more than 3 of your parts are different you may have to activate windows again or even repair it. if it blue screens repair it, but make sure you back up your data first.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Everything was OK; It just booted and installed the additional devices!

I figured it would be fine :) I was going to recomend you do a "upgrade install" where you boot from the CD and choose to keep your settings but since it worked, its all good :)