Core 2 Extreme. Worth the Cost?

speedbird744

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a new gaming PC mainly to play Flight Simulator and plan to spend the bulk of my budget on my graphics cards. I'm curious if it's worth busting my budget for the Dual Core Extreme or will a heavy graphics intensive game work fine with the next CPU down from the Extreme?

Any feedback is appreciated...

No. The E6600 or E6700 will be more than enough. Even the E6400 is a strong performer. You can always overclock to coax some more performance out of the CPU.

As long the the CPU is powerful enough, most of the gaming performance will be based on the GPU.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Yeah, don't bother with an Core Extreme CPU. Any one of the lower-cost CPUs can easily reach 6800 speeds, and cost much less. You're better off getting an E6300-6700 and good graphics card...precisely what I'm doing for Flight Simulator X.

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
And with a lower end CPU, and a higher end GPU You'll defenatly save a TON of money. Spend $999 dollars on that core 2 extreme, and $200 on a GPU, or spend $350 on the CPU leaving you tons of room for GPU, soundcard, Memory... blah blah. Yes, as everyone else said, get a less expensive CPU. Oh, and send some of the money you saved my way :-D

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
No.

Like everyone else mentioned, the E6600 is a better deal for 4MB cache, and the E6400/6300 are good deals at 2MB cache.

Use the extra money for RAM and GPU.

speedbird744

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks guys... I'm new to overclocking, any suggestions on how best to learn? I'd like to overclock the CPU as much and as safely as possible.

I'll be using the Nvidia nForce 4 SLI mobo along with 2GB DDR2 (800MHz) and most likely dual GeForce 7900 GTX's.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would say all $800+ CPUs are waste. Mostly bragging rights are involved.

Mid-range CPUs are not far behind, cost a lot less, and can be overclocked to match/exceed the expensive ones.

Ditto --- the best cost effective price/performance CPU right now has the sweet spot at the E6600.

Jack

Hey Jack, do you have any prediction for the stock clock speed of the 65 nm process X2 3800+ (since it seems the first batch of 65 nm cpus will be shipping next month)? Do you think they'll take the opportunity to bump it up a bit, or will they keep it the same and offer lower power consumption? How will the overclocking performance be affected on this initial set of processors?

Thanks guys... I'm new to overclocking, any suggestions on how best to learn? I'd like to overclock the CPU as much and as safely as possible.

I'll be using the Nvidia nForce 4 SLI mobo along with 2GB DDR2 (800MHz) and most likely dual GeForce 7900 GTX's.

Well the good news is that the DDR2 800 RAM is just the thing you want to have for extreme overclocking. Core 2 Duo CPUs only requires DDR2 533 RAM to function properly. Faster RAM means that you can overclock the CPU to increase the CPU frequency.

Technically speaking, if you were to buy a Core 2 Duo E6600 which has a clock multiplier of 9, then you can overclock the E6600 from the standard speed of 2.4GHz to 3.6GHz (400MHz x 9); rather extreme. Overclocking depends on the motherboard, RAM, the CPU itself, and a bit of luck. A good aftermarket heatsink fan is also recommended to cool an overclocked CPU. At 3.6GHz I would really consider water cooling instrasd of air cooling.

Check out the overclocking forum for additional advice.

For your system, you can even select the E6300 CPU which is clocked at 1.86GHz. It sounds slow, but at stock speed it can compete against the Athlon X2 4400+ or 4600+ depending on the benchmark. Not bad for an 1.86GHz CPU that only costs $185 over at www.newegg.com.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Most posters here are saying that x6800 is a waste because you can overclock a 6700 to get to the same point as an X6800 (2.93Ghz).

Thats broken logic.

The point they're missing is that they're comparing a 6700 at its overclocked limit to a STOCK 6800. Thats like saying a Ford is faster than a Ferrari because it can overtake it when the Ferrari's parked. I mean come on, lets compare apples to apples here. Are you gonna overclock both or not?

What you get for your extra money for an Extreme is a CPU with unlocked multipliers and a highest quality-binned part. If you overclock an X6800 you can get that bad boy up real high. Nordic managed 4.9Ghz with a cascade cooler.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=487&page=6

I'll say that again. 4.9 Ghz.

People with more conventional coolers are still easily getting above 4 ghz.

Is that worth an extra say 500 dollars to you? only you can answer that. Personally I'll stick with my x6800 and be glad I didn't skimp, thanks.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
And on the second day, the Lord delivered unto Jack revolutionary computing performance via the Core 2 Extreme. Jack was happy, and the Lord said it was good.

Thanks for the info...I would think AMD would have wanted to rush their refab so that they can now begin to improve their bottom line given their current pricing...going to 65 nm should yield more cores per wafer, right?

I think it will be interesting to see the MSRP on their quad-cores relative to Intel...I think they could gain even greater market share if they could introduce a "quad for the masses" providing performance on par with (or at least very close to) Intel, but at a lower price. The increased demand would probably make up for any negative price discrepancy. Despite reports saying otherwise, I think they're in a pretty good position right now, given their increasing presence in the OEM server/desktop market. I'm also wondering where all those Intel employees are going to go...the next 8 months should be very interesting.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I would say all $800+ CPUs are waste. Mostly bragging rights are involved.

Mid-range CPUs are not far behind, cost a lot less, and can be overclocked to match/exceed the expensive ones.

Ditto --- the best cost effective price/performance CPU right now has the sweet spot at the E6600.

Jack

Hey Jack, do you have any prediction for the stock clock speed of the 65 nm process X2 3800+ (since it seems the first batch of 65 nm cpus will be shipping next month)? Do you think they'll take the opportunity to bump it up a bit, or will they keep it the same and offer lower power consumption? How will the overclocking performance be affected on this initial set of processors?

AMD model numbers their processors based on the K8 core by raw clock speed and cache size, thus a 2.0 GHz with 512x2 cache is a 3800+, a 2.2 GHz with 512x2 cache is a 4200+, and 2.4 GHz with 512x2 cache is 4600+

AMD did away with the 1 Meg x 2 processors early in July, so the only 1 Megx2 are FX series and athlon, though I believe the 5200+ may have 2x1 meg.

In any event, the roadmaps circulated shows the first 65 nm K8 shrink model number as 4600+ (and I do not know if they are official, they appear to be but I have not seen a "AMD showed this" clause before it).

This means the lead products are going to be 2.4 GHz, if they are getting higher clock speed they may be targeting that for Opty's only in the initial introduction, I am not sure.

People who 'I will wait for 65 nm' thinking they will be better than 90 nm chips do not really understand what a shrink is all about and have not seen the leaked roadmaps and process data to dated .... a 65 nm 2.4 GHz K8 dual core will perform exactly the same as a 2.4 GHz K8 dual core manufactured on 90 nm (you may already know this, but I state it for the benefit of others who may be reading). Now, the 65 nm K8 at 2.4 GHz may dissipate lower power, in fact, it probably will --- OCing though is a different story, it is also dependent upon if they got the transistors tweaked out properly to physically reach higher speed. Time will tell.

EDIT: Here is what I am suspecting (and this opinion may change): AMD is touting 4 stressors in their 65 nm process, and this is a lot of major work to incorporate such dramatic new methods. I suspect they will drop 1 or 2 stressors from the list for now, get 65 nm going and ramped to a certain point with healthy yields and then work to slowly fold in one or two more 'enabling' features at a time. AMD does this routinely, 130 nm did not start on SOI but SOI was folded in, 90 nm did not start on CDO but FSG and CDO was slowly phased in. The size/capacity/cost benefit is too great to wait on perfecting it to the utmost. It is better for them to start selling 65 nm 3800+, 4200+, and 4600+ now and work on performance later.

JackAlso the rare X2 4000+(1MB L2). :wink:

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Actually right now I'm running Microsoft Flight Simulator X prerelease demo and its honestly silky smooth with maxxed out quality settings at 1920x1200..... and my vid card is only an AGP BFG 6800 ultra.

OK I am running an X6800 extreme cpu but I don't plan to upgrade my vid. card until nVidia comes out with a DirectX 10 card, so I'm also running a $55 Asrock DUAL775 mobo ( just because its the only Core 2 + AGP mobo) which is sure to also be impacting my cpu perf. a few percentage points from the ideal too.

I'm currently nVidia's bitch, still waiting for the 590 intel ed. chipset mobos and DirectX 10 video cards to come out to finish my new system build.

My point is, if all you're planning on ever doing is running flight sim X then you don't need the latest video card ( or probably a X6800 extreme cpu either ).

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I think it will be interesting to see the MSRP on their quad-cores relative to Intel...I think they could gain even greater market share if they could introduce a "quad for the masses" providing performance on par with (or at least very close to) Intel, but at a lower price. ...

Dude AMD have got a major struggle to even get their ghetto asses up to near the same playing field that intel are on now. If they release anything at all that can touch an X6800 or kentsfield for performance, it won't be priced as a "quad for the masses", it will be their top-end proc. up in the $1k range.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Actually right now I'm running Microsoft Flight Simulator X prerelease demo and its honestly silky smooth with maxxed out quality settings at 1920x1200..... and my vid card is only an AGP BFG 6800 ultra.

I would honestly dispute this, or question what graphics options you have turned on. I'm running the X Demo on a 3500+ and a 7800GT at 1600 x 1200, and with everything turned on it runs and is smooth, but no way silky smooth. And frankly, without all the options turned up to max, the graphics are average, especially the ground details. This is a game you will want to play at the highest settings.

A friend with a similar CPU but only a 9800 Pro really struggled at these settings, emphasising the fact that the graphics card is certainly more important than the CPU for this game (beyond a certain point of course).

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Moral of the story, kids: Stay in school, worlk hard and someday you, to, will earn 50-100k and be able to drop $1200 on a cpu.

Doesn't matter that everyone's laughing at you, because you get identical performance at twice the price.

Even if I made a $30m dollar profit trade tomorrow, I would sooner tatoo "gullible fool" onto my forhead than buy one of those overpriced monstrosities.

Free lesson in market value, kiddies: Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's worth a shit.

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Most posters here are saying that x6800 is a waste because you can overclock a 6700 to get to the same point as an X6800 (2.93Ghz).

Thats broken logic.

The point they're missing is that they're comparing a 6700 at its overclocked limit to a STOCK 6800. Thats like saying a Ford is faster than a Ferrari because it can overtake it when the Ferrari's parked. I mean come on, lets compare apples to apples here. Are you gonna overclock both or not?

What you get for your extra money for an Extreme is a CPU with unlocked multipliers and a highest quality-binned part. If you overclock an X6800 you can get that bad boy up real high. Nordic managed 4.9Ghz with a cascade cooler.

Is that worth an extra say 500 dollars to you? only you can answer that. Personally I'll stick with my x6800 and be glad I didn't skimp, thanks.

That's great. Using an identical cooling apparatus with a chip that cost 1/10th the price (e6300), a partner of mine achieved that exact same result (4.9ghz).

Here at the firm, we think he is a smart pimp and buy him beer and steak. When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Thats broken logic.

That's great. Using an identical cooling apparatus with a chip that cost 1/10th the price (e6300), a partner of mine achieved that exact same result (4.9ghz).

Here at the firm, we think he is a smart pimp and buy him beer and steak. When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.Your posts are a waste of bandwidth! 4.9GHz with an E6300....Yeah...ok....700MHz FSB!! Smoke another one. Obviously he knows you're a fool, and is pulling your chain. :roll:

PS...You should take your own advice from your previous post:

I would sooner tatoo "gullible fool" onto my forhead than buy one of those overpriced monstrosities.

Santa Claus came early this year, oddly he was driving a dark dark brown truck with yellow letters on it "UPS",
Dude did you know that Santa is black? Apparently that Jolly Jenkins story has something to it.....
Rodney.jpg

Cost effectiveness can do little to curb the urge to be flashy and stuff but who cares? If you couldnt have bragging rights what fun would any of this be?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
towely said:
When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.

yeah right an e6300 with locked multipler O/C and stable at 4.9Ghz. Whatever dude. I call bullcrap on that one.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

I would honestly dispute this, or question what graphics options you have turned on. I'm running the X Demo on a 3500+ and a 7800GT at 1600 x 1200, and with everything turned on it runs and is smooth, but no way silky smooth. And frankly, without all the options turned up to max, the graphics are average, especially the ground details. This is a game you will want to play at the highest settings.

A friend with a similar CPU but only a 9800 Pro really struggled at these settings, emphasising the fact that the graphics card is certainly more important than the CPU for this game (beyond a certain point of course).

I don't know why its not silky for you. It is for me. Are you running with FSAA or something? Try turning off FSAA, its a waste of time at high resolutions. You see a big performance hit and no real benefit at 1920x1200.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Doesn't matter that everyone's laughing at you, because you get identical performance at twice the price.

Actually, it's YOU that I'm laughing at, because you don't know WTF you're talking about.

However, you do now qualify for a FREE bellybutton-untieing wrench. and you need it bad!

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
in the immortal words of spud
Word

Well, I, myself, am not cost effective :)

I have other reasons for wanting an X6800.

In fact, Santa Claus came early this year, oddly he was driving a dark dark brown truck with yellow letters on it "UPS", no reindeer, no sleigh, no ho-ho-ho. It does not matter because on my door step was a box and inside I found this:

x6800minesk3.jpg

wat kinda gfx card do u hav to go with that jack?