Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Extreme. Worth the Cost?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2006 11:25:54 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a new gaming PC mainly to play Flight Simulator and plan to spend the bulk of my budget on my graphics cards. I'm curious if it's worth busting my budget for the Dual Core Extreme or will a heavy graphics intensive game work fine with the next CPU down from the Extreme?

Any feedback is appreciated...
a c 473 à CPUs
September 11, 2006 11:30:18 PM

No. The E6600 or E6700 will be more than enough. Even the E6400 is a strong performer. You can always overclock to coax some more performance out of the CPU.

As long the the CPU is powerful enough, most of the gaming performance will be based on the GPU.
September 11, 2006 11:42:26 PM

What they said !!! :) 
Related resources
September 11, 2006 11:48:08 PM

Mid-range CPU + high-end GPU > High-end CPU + mid-range GPU
September 11, 2006 11:54:48 PM

Yeah, don't bother with an Core Extreme CPU. Any one of the lower-cost CPUs can easily reach 6800 speeds, and cost much less. You're better off getting an E6300-6700 and good graphics card...precisely what I'm doing for Flight Simulator X.
September 12, 2006 12:11:16 AM

And with a lower end CPU, and a higher end GPU You'll defenatly save a TON of money. Spend $999 dollars on that core 2 extreme, and $200 on a GPU, or spend $350 on the CPU leaving you tons of room for GPU, soundcard, Memory... blah blah. Yes, as everyone else said, get a less expensive CPU. Oh, and send some of the money you saved my way :-D
September 12, 2006 12:14:11 AM

No.

Like everyone else mentioned, the E6600 is a better deal for 4MB cache, and the E6400/6300 are good deals at 2MB cache.

Use the extra money for RAM and GPU.
September 12, 2006 12:47:01 AM

Thanks guys... I'm new to overclocking, any suggestions on how best to learn? I'd like to overclock the CPU as much and as safely as possible.

I'll be using the Nvidia nForce 4 SLI mobo along with 2GB DDR2 (800MHz) and most likely dual GeForce 7900 GTX's.
September 12, 2006 1:29:37 AM

Quote:
I would say all $800+ CPUs are waste. Mostly bragging rights are involved.

Mid-range CPUs are not far behind, cost a lot less, and can be overclocked to match/exceed the expensive ones.

Ditto --- the best cost effective price/performance CPU right now has the sweet spot at the E6600.

Jack

Hey Jack, do you have any prediction for the stock clock speed of the 65 nm process X2 3800+ (since it seems the first batch of 65 nm cpus will be shipping next month)? Do you think they'll take the opportunity to bump it up a bit, or will they keep it the same and offer lower power consumption? How will the overclocking performance be affected on this initial set of processors?
September 12, 2006 2:18:50 AM

in the immortal words of spud
Quote:
Word
a c 473 à CPUs
September 12, 2006 4:15:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys... I'm new to overclocking, any suggestions on how best to learn? I'd like to overclock the CPU as much and as safely as possible.

I'll be using the Nvidia nForce 4 SLI mobo along with 2GB DDR2 (800MHz) and most likely dual GeForce 7900 GTX's.

Well the good news is that the DDR2 800 RAM is just the thing you want to have for extreme overclocking. Core 2 Duo CPUs only requires DDR2 533 RAM to function properly. Faster RAM means that you can overclock the CPU to increase the CPU frequency.

Technically speaking, if you were to buy a Core 2 Duo E6600 which has a clock multiplier of 9, then you can overclock the E6600 from the standard speed of 2.4GHz to 3.6GHz (400MHz x 9); rather extreme. Overclocking depends on the motherboard, RAM, the CPU itself, and a bit of luck. A good aftermarket heatsink fan is also recommended to cool an overclocked CPU. At 3.6GHz I would really consider water cooling instrasd of air cooling.

Check out the overclocking forum for additional advice.

For your system, you can even select the E6300 CPU which is clocked at 1.86GHz. It sounds slow, but at stock speed it can compete against the Athlon X2 4400+ or 4600+ depending on the benchmark. Not bad for an 1.86GHz CPU that only costs $185 over at www.newegg.com.
September 12, 2006 6:12:46 AM

Most posters here are saying that x6800 is a waste because you can overclock a 6700 to get to the same point as an X6800 (2.93Ghz).

Thats broken logic.

The point they're missing is that they're comparing a 6700 at its overclocked limit to a STOCK 6800. Thats like saying a Ford is faster than a Ferrari because it can overtake it when the Ferrari's parked. I mean come on, lets compare apples to apples here. Are you gonna overclock both or not?

What you get for your extra money for an Extreme is a CPU with unlocked multipliers and a highest quality-binned part. If you overclock an X6800 you can get that bad boy up real high. Nordic managed 4.9Ghz with a cascade cooler.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=487&pa...

I'll say that again. 4.9 Ghz.

People with more conventional coolers are still easily getting above 4 ghz.

Is that worth an extra say 500 dollars to you? only you can answer that. Personally I'll stick with my x6800 and be glad I didn't skimp, thanks.
September 12, 2006 6:29:17 AM

And on the second day, the Lord delivered unto Jack revolutionary computing performance via the Core 2 Extreme. Jack was happy, and the Lord said it was good.

Thanks for the info...I would think AMD would have wanted to rush their refab so that they can now begin to improve their bottom line given their current pricing...going to 65 nm should yield more cores per wafer, right?

I think it will be interesting to see the MSRP on their quad-cores relative to Intel...I think they could gain even greater market share if they could introduce a "quad for the masses" providing performance on par with (or at least very close to) Intel, but at a lower price. The increased demand would probably make up for any negative price discrepancy. Despite reports saying otherwise, I think they're in a pretty good position right now, given their increasing presence in the OEM server/desktop market. I'm also wondering where all those Intel employees are going to go...the next 8 months should be very interesting.
September 12, 2006 6:55:17 AM

Quote:
I would say all $800+ CPUs are waste. Mostly bragging rights are involved.

Mid-range CPUs are not far behind, cost a lot less, and can be overclocked to match/exceed the expensive ones.

Ditto --- the best cost effective price/performance CPU right now has the sweet spot at the E6600.

Jack

Hey Jack, do you have any prediction for the stock clock speed of the 65 nm process X2 3800+ (since it seems the first batch of 65 nm cpus will be shipping next month)? Do you think they'll take the opportunity to bump it up a bit, or will they keep it the same and offer lower power consumption? How will the overclocking performance be affected on this initial set of processors?

AMD model numbers their processors based on the K8 core by raw clock speed and cache size, thus a 2.0 GHz with 512x2 cache is a 3800+, a 2.2 GHz with 512x2 cache is a 4200+, and 2.4 GHz with 512x2 cache is 4600+

AMD did away with the 1 Meg x 2 processors early in July, so the only 1 Megx2 are FX series and athlon, though I believe the 5200+ may have 2x1 meg.

In any event, the roadmaps circulated shows the first 65 nm K8 shrink model number as 4600+ (and I do not know if they are official, they appear to be but I have not seen a "AMD showed this" clause before it).

This means the lead products are going to be 2.4 GHz, if they are getting higher clock speed they may be targeting that for Opty's only in the initial introduction, I am not sure.

People who 'I will wait for 65 nm' thinking they will be better than 90 nm chips do not really understand what a shrink is all about and have not seen the leaked roadmaps and process data to dated .... a 65 nm 2.4 GHz K8 dual core will perform exactly the same as a 2.4 GHz K8 dual core manufactured on 90 nm (you may already know this, but I state it for the benefit of others who may be reading). Now, the 65 nm K8 at 2.4 GHz may dissipate lower power, in fact, it probably will --- OCing though is a different story, it is also dependent upon if they got the transistors tweaked out properly to physically reach higher speed. Time will tell.

EDIT: Here is what I am suspecting (and this opinion may change): AMD is touting 4 stressors in their 65 nm process, and this is a lot of major work to incorporate such dramatic new methods. I suspect they will drop 1 or 2 stressors from the list for now, get 65 nm going and ramped to a certain point with healthy yields and then work to slowly fold in one or two more 'enabling' features at a time. AMD does this routinely, 130 nm did not start on SOI but SOI was folded in, 90 nm did not start on CDO but FSG and CDO was slowly phased in. The size/capacity/cost benefit is too great to wait on perfecting it to the utmost. It is better for them to start selling 65 nm 3800+, 4200+, and 4600+ now and work on performance later.

JackAlso the rare X2 4000+(1MB L2). :wink:
September 12, 2006 7:01:26 AM

Actually right now I'm running Microsoft Flight Simulator X prerelease demo and its honestly silky smooth with maxxed out quality settings at 1920x1200..... and my vid card is only an AGP BFG 6800 ultra.

OK I am running an X6800 extreme cpu but I don't plan to upgrade my vid. card until nVidia comes out with a DirectX 10 card, so I'm also running a $55 Asrock DUAL775 mobo ( just because its the only Core 2 + AGP mobo) which is sure to also be impacting my cpu perf. a few percentage points from the ideal too.

I'm currently nVidia's bitch, still waiting for the 590 intel ed. chipset mobos and DirectX 10 video cards to come out to finish my new system build.

My point is, if all you're planning on ever doing is running flight sim X then you don't need the latest video card ( or probably a X6800 extreme cpu either ).
September 12, 2006 7:12:28 AM

Quote:

I think it will be interesting to see the MSRP on their quad-cores relative to Intel...I think they could gain even greater market share if they could introduce a "quad for the masses" providing performance on par with (or at least very close to) Intel, but at a lower price. ...

Dude AMD have got a major struggle to even get their ghetto asses up to near the same playing field that intel are on now. If they release anything at all that can touch an X6800 or kentsfield for performance, it won't be priced as a "quad for the masses", it will be their top-end proc. up in the $1k range.
September 12, 2006 7:52:38 AM

Quote:
Actually right now I'm running Microsoft Flight Simulator X prerelease demo and its honestly silky smooth with maxxed out quality settings at 1920x1200..... and my vid card is only an AGP BFG 6800 ultra.

I would honestly dispute this, or question what graphics options you have turned on. I'm running the X Demo on a 3500+ and a 7800GT at 1600 x 1200, and with everything turned on it runs and is smooth, but no way silky smooth. And frankly, without all the options turned up to max, the graphics are average, especially the ground details. This is a game you will want to play at the highest settings.

A friend with a similar CPU but only a 9800 Pro really struggled at these settings, emphasising the fact that the graphics card is certainly more important than the CPU for this game (beyond a certain point of course).
September 12, 2006 7:56:19 AM

Moral of the story, kids: Stay in school, worlk hard and someday you, to, will earn 50-100k and be able to drop $1200 on a cpu.

Doesn't matter that everyone's laughing at you, because you get identical performance at twice the price.

Even if I made a $30m dollar profit trade tomorrow, I would sooner tatoo "gullible fool" onto my forhead than buy one of those overpriced monstrosities.

Free lesson in market value, kiddies: Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's worth a shit.
September 12, 2006 8:02:49 AM

Quote:
Most posters here are saying that x6800 is a waste because you can overclock a 6700 to get to the same point as an X6800 (2.93Ghz).

Thats broken logic.

The point they're missing is that they're comparing a 6700 at its overclocked limit to a STOCK 6800. Thats like saying a Ford is faster than a Ferrari because it can overtake it when the Ferrari's parked. I mean come on, lets compare apples to apples here. Are you gonna overclock both or not?

What you get for your extra money for an Extreme is a CPU with unlocked multipliers and a highest quality-binned part. If you overclock an X6800 you can get that bad boy up real high. Nordic managed 4.9Ghz with a cascade cooler.

Is that worth an extra say 500 dollars to you? only you can answer that. Personally I'll stick with my x6800 and be glad I didn't skimp, thanks.

That's great. Using an identical cooling apparatus with a chip that cost 1/10th the price (e6300), a partner of mine achieved that exact same result (4.9ghz).

Here at the firm, we think he is a smart pimp and buy him beer and steak. When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.
September 12, 2006 8:13:27 AM

Quote:

Thats broken logic.

That's great. Using an identical cooling apparatus with a chip that cost 1/10th the price (e6300), a partner of mine achieved that exact same result (4.9ghz).

Here at the firm, we think he is a smart pimp and buy him beer and steak. When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.Your posts are a waste of bandwidth! 4.9GHz with an E6300....Yeah...ok....700MHz FSB!! Smoke another one. Obviously he knows you're a fool, and is pulling your chain. :roll:

PS...You should take your own advice from your previous post:

Quote:
I would sooner tatoo "gullible fool" onto my forhead than buy one of those overpriced monstrosities.
September 12, 2006 11:44:05 AM

Quote:
Santa Claus came early this year, oddly he was driving a dark dark brown truck with yellow letters on it "UPS",

Dude did you know that Santa is black? Apparently that Jolly Jenkins story has something to it.....

Cost effectiveness can do little to curb the urge to be flashy and stuff but who cares? If you couldnt have bragging rights what fun would any of this be?
September 12, 2006 7:05:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.

yeah right an e6300 with locked multipler O/C and stable at 4.9Ghz. Whatever dude. I call bullcrap on that one.
September 12, 2006 7:17:03 PM

Quote:

I would honestly dispute this, or question what graphics options you have turned on. I'm running the X Demo on a 3500+ and a 7800GT at 1600 x 1200, and with everything turned on it runs and is smooth, but no way silky smooth. And frankly, without all the options turned up to max, the graphics are average, especially the ground details. This is a game you will want to play at the highest settings.

A friend with a similar CPU but only a 9800 Pro really struggled at these settings, emphasising the fact that the graphics card is certainly more important than the CPU for this game (beyond a certain point of course).

I don't know why its not silky for you. It is for me. Are you running with FSAA or something? Try turning off FSAA, its a waste of time at high resolutions. You see a big performance hit and no real benefit at 1920x1200.
September 12, 2006 7:54:23 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter that everyone's laughing at you, because you get identical performance at twice the price.

Actually, it's YOU that I'm laughing at, because you don't know WTF you're talking about.

However, you do now qualify for a FREE bellybutton-untieing wrench. and you need it bad!
September 12, 2006 8:13:25 PM

Quote:
in the immortal words of spud
Word

Well, I, myself, am not cost effective :) 

I have other reasons for wanting an X6800.

In fact, Santa Claus came early this year, oddly he was driving a dark dark brown truck with yellow letters on it "UPS", no reindeer, no sleigh, no ho-ho-ho. It does not matter because on my door step was a box and inside I found this:

wat kinda gfx card do u hav to go with that jack?
September 12, 2006 8:44:25 PM

is the core 2 extreme worth the cost. hmm, well YAH,
anyprocessor that you can buy is worth the cost. The thing you have to ask yourself, is can you afford it. RATHER can you afford to not have it.

I just bought my new machine. a e6400, asus p5n32 sli, a asus 7950gx2, 4gb ram, 4x 250 gb drives. very sweet setup. the e6400 ROCKS, i run fear at 1680x1050, MAX on all settings. and not a single frame drop. more than enough ... My buddy, bought a extreme core 2, but a 7900gt card. His fear sucks, lol.. BF2, well i smoke him now, lol.
BUT when do vmware server installs, his just destroys mine, hands down. i mean not even close. Is it worth 800 dollar difference in cpu, well it depends. IF you are using your computer for more than just games, and benchmarks, then yah, whatever you spend, will = your desired performance level.

My main workhorse, in which i am selling, is in my SIG, and MAN, that rocks for what i do. HEAVY disk IO. is it expensive, OH YAH, over kill, WELL not if you value your time, and if it makes your computer experience a worth while experience.

I have many friends who will drop 1200 on a video card solution, but will only spend $100 on a hard drive. 8O me, i will drop money on hard drives, just for the spindle counts. and trust me, when my raid array of 15k's start hitting, it is veryyy fast... But that is for certain apps..

CORE 2 EXTEREME, yah, that is my next upgrade, i have seen the light. THEN again, the extremee i will get is the quad, not the dual
September 12, 2006 8:45:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

When the IT guy, making slightly less than 1/100th of what we earn, comes to my office and brags about his OCd x6800, I just laugh and tell him to get back to fixing my router.

yeah right an e6300 with locked multipler O/C and stable at 4.9Ghz. Whatever dude. I call bullcrap on that one.
Hacked bios upgrades would allow the multipler to be unlocked. Jack has the correct reason for an E6300 not OC'ing this high. I think theres an ASUS mobo that has a none hacked bios that allows you to change the multipler as well in the none extreme versions.
September 12, 2006 9:27:33 PM

In my opinion, the Core 2 Extreme seems like over kill on the wallet @ at this point. With the Core 2 Quad core coming out in less than 3 or 4 months, wouldn't it be a wiser choice to save the money and buy one of those. I just built a Conroe system for the cheap and it is faster than my more expensive Opteron setup I had. I can play everything just fine. Don't get me wrong, the X6800 is an amazing processor, but for $230, the E6400 can't be beat. Just my 2 cents.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-945P-S3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Allendale @ 2.8
Memory: OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB DDR2
Hard Drives: 400GB WD 16MB Buffer & 300GB Maxtor 16MB Buffer
CD-ROM drive: NEC 16x DVD-RW & Lite-on 16x DVD-RW
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 510 Watt Deluxe SLI
Video Card: Power color X1900XT
TV Tuner: ATI HDTV Wonder
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Mouse: Logitech MX 518
Keyboard: AOPEN Slimline Keyboard
Monitor: 20.1 inch Dell Widescreen flat panel
Speakers: Logitech Z5500
September 12, 2006 9:31:26 PM

Unless I have plenty of cash to blow, I say it's not worth it. The sweet spot is the 6600 as far as performance/price is concerned. With the money you're saving you can buy high end/quality parts for the rest of your rig.
September 12, 2006 10:22:57 PM

Quote:

I want the X6900! How much longer do I have to wait and how much will it cost?

(bows humbly at base of image) That's a beauty, Jack! Is the rig together? Let's see the complete spec! Photos, more photos! Benchies!
September 13, 2006 12:26:18 AM

Holy smokes, that some nice stuff, Jack.

And here I am with 3 motherboards, waiting for my CPUs. :( 
September 13, 2006 12:29:36 AM

Congrats Jack :!:

Looks like that will be a killer system.
[/envy] [/jealous]

Mind if I ask why you're going with 2 RAID 0?
(Had a bad experience with JBOD once, and I am fearful of any non-redundant arrays).
September 13, 2006 12:54:33 AM

wow jack, thats amazing congrats man! can't wait to see benchies! have fun with it!
September 13, 2006 1:14:42 AM

Quote:
Congrats Jack :!:

Looks like that will be a killer system.
[/envy] [/jealous]

Mind if I ask why you're going with 2 RAID 0?
(Had a bad experience with JBOD once, and I am fearful of any non-redundant arrays).

I don't mind at all, quiz me all you want....

I want the speed for two reasons, first is all my gaming software will go onto one raid array -- (I like the slightly faster loading times) the second array will be strictly video editing (there speed is also very nice). In either case if I lose a drive --- eh, no big deal.

I back up all my video data monthly to my 2 Terabyte NAS anyway, what I don't keep on the NAS I burn to DVD and delete.

I just bought a second NAS the other day that has all my music, with some room to spare. It serves up to the Den, Family Room, Office, and Theater room.

EDIT: This is actually the first time I will be trying a RAID array on my DT in the office/personal use. I have a redundant array setup on the 2 TB NAS though. Just my personal safety measure. Backing up is a bear though, it takes all night and most of the day to back up 1 TB all together.

Jack

Nice to see somebody on a backup schedule. Like most, I'm too random with backing up.

I have almost 2.5TB on my media server. I would like to go with 2 RAID 5 arrays with 5-500GB drives on each. Should result in around 4TB after parity. Picking up a drive here and there when they're on sale. Can't buy all at once due to, as stated on another thread, shoes and handbags. :p  Plus I seem to buy tons of movies that I know we'll never watch. Still, it is nice with MCE to bring up any movie from the couch.

Just FYI, as far as RAID 0 goes, some sites are reporting that it is actually the same or slower than a single drive:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=10

Anyways, congrats again. Great system.

If you happen to see Santa and his brown truck again, will you give him my address? :p 

P.S. You're making it hard to rub in the Buckeye's performance last week. :lol: 
September 13, 2006 2:12:29 AM

Quote:
Holy smokes, that some nice stuff, Jack.

And here I am with 3 motherboards, waiting for my CPUs. :( 

My upgrade cadence has come to about every 2 years right now, however, based on what we have seen and are going to see from AMD/Intel I may end up putting another system together end of next year and move this into a HTPC in my theater.

Idea is to get a HD-DVD drive and a Blu-Ray drive so I can have the best of both worlds. The X1900XTX will drive my projector nicely, it has a DVI input.

Very good idea.

I am using one of my C2Ds for a HTPC, as well. I am still looking at more components, since my order is on backorder, and I was told it won't ship till mid/late September. But for what I paid for 3, I don't mind at all.

*edit*
Yay! My E6400 has been shipped! Yay!
Now, I wait for only my E6700/6600 CPUs.
September 13, 2006 3:25:59 AM

Quote:
Moral of the story, kids: Stay in school, worlk hard and someday you, to, will earn 50-100k and be able to drop $1200 on a cpu.

Even if I made a $30m dollar profit trade tomorrow, I would sooner tatoo "gullible fool" onto my forhead than buy one of those overpriced monstrosities.

Free lesson in market value, kiddies: Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's worth a ****.

I find this F'in hillarious. I'm a college student, so I guess its purtains to me. Not to "brag", but I jsut dropped 800 on a new mobo, video card and cooler. But you know what, WHO CARES! I've saved my money and spent it on computer equipment rather than beer (vodka is cheaper in the long run and lasts longer :lol:  ).

If all you do is spend money on computer stuff, go ahead and blow 1000 on the x6800 instead of paying 330 for the e6600. If you are planning on overclocking by dropping 1000 bucks on a compressor, then you're already in a different ballpark than 99% of the computing community and price isn't an issue.

I spend money on 3 things: College, computers, and powerlifting equipment (yeah, i'm not a jock, just a nerdy meat head :lol:  ). Its all priorities.

As long as you're having fun, thats what its about.
September 13, 2006 7:16:02 AM

Quote:

(bows humbly at base of image) That's a beauty, Jack! Is the rig together? Let's see the complete spec! Photos, more photos! Benchies!

Needless to say, I am pretty giddy at the moment, I get to put together a new system....

Here are the specs, you can pick most of it out from the photo:
- C2D X6800 Boxed
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB
- Corsair XMS2 TWIN2x1048 x 2 for 4 Gig DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
- ATI Radeon X1900XTX Graphics
- Creative Labs Fatal1ty X-Fi Sound Card
- 2 400 Gig. Seagate SATA II HDs (for Raid 0)
- 2 300 Gig. Seagate SATA II HDs (for Raid 0)
- 1 300 Gig. Seagate SATA I HDs (non-raid, standard IDE - not shown)
- 1 150 Gig OEM WD Raptor
- Thermaltake Armour Case with side fan
- 640 Watt 4-rail Thermaltake powersupply

Already have
- Logitech LX700 Keyboard and MX-1000 optical mouse
- 21" Sony G520 CRT monitor and 2.1 Sony speakers.
- HP Superwriter DVD w/Lightscribe

Here is where I am in the build

Benches will be forthcoming, I am taking my time -- cable management is going to be needed with this many drives.Jack....this is very irresponsible of you...Next time you post that pic, you must add a disclaimer that says "viewing of this photo may induce wet-dreams, view at own risk."

PS.. IIRC the other day, you said you had an X1800XT or something, and were going to wait for DX-10 before upgrading GPU. Couldn't wait?
September 13, 2006 7:51:31 AM

Jack,

I am very dissapointed in you. Spending so much money on a top of the line CPU/mobo/memory combo, and then short changing yourself on HDD storage space. :cry: 
September 13, 2006 12:14:47 PM

Yep, your Core 2 XE setup whips my Core 2 XE setup. I humbly bow to you. By the way, do you pan to ever step it up to water cooling and if so, what kit or combination will you use?
September 13, 2006 2:06:04 PM

Quote:
Jack....this is very irresponsible of you...Next time you post that pic, you must add a disclaimer that says "viewing of this photo may induce wet-dreams, view at own risk."

That only covers people with a brain. You'll need a nightmare warning for the Barfon.
September 13, 2006 3:36:28 PM

Quote:

Needless to say, I am pretty giddy at the moment, I get to put together a new system....

- C2D X6800 Boxed
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB

Already have

Benches will be forthcoming, I am taking my time -- cable management is going to be needed with this many drives.

Can you imagine Baron Christmas morning!!

Box #1 open and it is the 1900XTX - responds (ooooohhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh)!!
Box #2 Corsair Memory - (Alright)!!!
Box #3 Sound card (YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS)!!! (best marv albert)
Box #4 Hardrives galore (whhooooooo hoooooo)!!!
Box #5 Power supply from Hell - (ssssscccchhhhhwinnnnng)!!!
Box #6 Combo ASUS mobo and INTEL X6800 Extreme) - MAN SANTA MUST REALLY HATE ME

I really think, he at his best, is a Glass Half Empty kinda fella.
September 13, 2006 3:50:09 PM

Quote:

- C2D X6800 Boxed
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB

Already have

Benches will be forthcoming, I am taking my time -- cable management is going to be needed with this many drives.

Can you imagine Baron Christmas morning!!

Box #1 open and it is the 1900XTX - responds (ooooohhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh)!!
Box #2 Corsair Memory - (Alright)!!!
Box #3 Sound card (YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS)!!! (best marv albert)
Box #4 Hardrives galore (whhooooooo hoooooo)!!!
Box #5 Power supply from Hell - (ssssscccchhhhhwinnnnng)!!!
Box #6 Combo ASUS mobo and INTEL X6800 Extreme) - MAN SANTA MUST REALLY HATE ME

I really think, he at his best, is a Glass Half Empty kinda fella.At best, BM will get a couple lumps of coal in his stocking. You have to be a very good boy, for Santa to deliver like this. :D 
September 13, 2006 4:01:36 PM

My attempt at Barons reply to me:

Here goes (disabling cognitive thinking skills)

Ready!

I would sell the Mobo and X6800 on Ebay and get a 4x4 with dual FX-62s. It will only cost me another 400+ dollars but it will be well worth it..

Then I would have a sweet system..

AMD forever

and

ST_U

(enabling cognitive thinking skills)

Whew! I think my IQ just dropped.... Need to go read some Dilbert to regain composure.. :LOL

Edited to add the semi-classic reply of ST_U
September 13, 2006 4:24:55 PM

Jack you could drop the multiplier just one level and have a VERY cool maybe even passively cooled HTPC... Sounds good to me :) 
September 13, 2006 5:12:36 PM

Quote:
At best, BM will get a couple lumps of coal in his stocking. You have to be a very good boy, for Santa to deliver like this. :D 

I was planning on sending him a "partly used" Antec power supply and some old RAM. And a paddleball...
September 13, 2006 5:13:27 PM

Jack,

I am planning a similar build probably in February. I Think I will go with Quad core though.

My build will be an ALL-in-ONE solution for ME alone :) 

My build plan is for a Machine that serves for those get togethers/frag fests (one coming up on the 23rd in the "Cave" (my home theater/playroom above my garage))

It will also serve as my media server and HTPC. I know, I know HTPC should be dedicated/configured and never changed :) 

Basically this is going to be my mess with everything build which should leave my other computers stable. If I mess anything up, half the fun is getting it back together :) 

Oh I forgot it will be used for work too ;) 
September 13, 2006 5:42:34 PM

Quote:
I Think I will go with Quad core though.

Sounds like you'll use those cores!

I've been buying parts slowly while I watch the CPU/Mobo Circus spin around. I finally made a RAID controller decision - I'm going to do RAID10 with 8x500GB drives and it took me a long time to fight through reviews, talk to IT guys and gals, etc. I've only bought one RAID card before and that was a long time ago. Still waffling around on the CPU and a long ways off on mobo. I could be practical and do a 6600 or splurge on a 6800 or 6900 when it hits the shelves. Or go quad. If quad, I'll probably wait at least as long as you. For mobo, I want to see the next DFI offering, the one designed by Dr. Wu. Hopefully, it will be a flier and have all the right options.

Not sure how eight 500GB drives are gonna fit into the budget but once it's alive, I'll be set for a few years and can get on with some on-hold projects that need big space. Too bad I'm not good lookin' - I could sell my bod on the street corner for HD cash. Guess I'll have to work some overtime.

Jack: did you consider a RAID card and doing RAID10 instead of your two RAID0's? (dumb question - I'm sure you thought it all over) You get great performance but lose half your disc space... So you'd need more drives! Whoopie, more toy money!
September 13, 2006 6:00:32 PM

I am typically a patient person (although Jack is doing his best to make it hard to wait:) ). I am waiting till February for several reasons but the biggest being the availability of other Mobo offerings and how they shake out for the quads.

I usually avoid Comp stores as all it does is make me want to move up my schedules :) .

I actually will make pretty good use of multiple cores. I do alot at the same time (at work I run two separate desktops with three monitors). I tend to keep alot going at once... Makes things pretty efficient.
September 13, 2006 7:24:02 PM

Quote:
I am typically a patient person (although Jack is doing his best to make it hard to wait:) ). I am waiting till February for several reasons but the biggest being the availability of other Mobo offerings and how they shake out for the quads.

I usually avoid Comp stores as all it does is make me want to move up my schedules :) .

I actually will make pretty good use of multiple cores. I do alot at the same time (at work I run two separate desktops with three monitors). I tend to keep alot going at once... Makes things pretty efficient.

Parallel universe... Reading the OC reports on XS had me twitching last week. At one point, I nearly ordered a 6800, then stepped back and said: "WTF - you were gonna wait this out!" Maybe I'm a wuss, but I tend to wait after each advance in tech till I read enough to be convinced, but I don't remember any time where the increases seemed as real and significant.

WRT separate desktops & multiple monitors, I once got in trouble for having so much computing power at hand and some of my peers got jealous. I set them up with good dual-desktop rigs and they quit whining. As a group resource, I put in two big Macs in a 6-monitor rig for image processing and printing using two of those monstrous Sony CRTs (>30") and four 20 inchers. I think we paid $4K for each of those big ones. At home, I have an L-shaped work surface with two desktops and two 20" LCDs. And a laptop. And an ipod and a paddleball. I really don't need much else - the tiolet is just 15' away - I can hit it without getting out of my seat on a good day.
September 13, 2006 7:46:15 PM

I don't want to think about your bad days :) .

I have a Linux workstation (nice working in native Xwindows environment and I can pull back data/code to my workstation and work on it without leaving a UNIX based environment). I use GVIM on Windows to review stuff sent to me there quickly.

I also have a Windows desktop that I use mostly for administartive things like Email/windows based apps. I have the two montior setup on the windows box which allows me to update documentaion on one display while running multiple IM clients and Mp3 playback and email on the other. Editing multiple docs at the same time is nice as well.

I really need to dual display my linux box (RH FC4 and ES3.0) too.

I could really use an Extreme Edition at work.
!