Good Warranty RMA Experience: Patriot Memory

-redundant-

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Hello,

I wanted to share a good experience for anyone curious about Patriot Memory.

Over the 17+ years of working on computers, nothing has moved me on to a new vendor/manufacturer more than customer service. Then probably quality. Although I build my own systems occasionally, I have historically relied on Dell to supply systems for one company I work with. I would have abandoned Dell long ago, had it not been for their customer service and good warranty fulfillment. I have had A LOT of Dell stuff go bad. But, they take care of their customers "junk", and usually efficiently, so it’s all good.

This is not about Dell though…

Recently, I had some memory go bad in a system I built for myself. Purchased from New Egg nearly two years ago, this afforded me the opportunity to experience Patriot Memory's Warranty/RMA Process. I hate these processes. But, to me, they clearly establish the attitude of a company, and provide a clear window into their level of customer service, whether they live up to their word, and how they stand behind their products.

The RMA process is slow, as they do not offer a way to send you your memory, while yours is in transit (via a credit card). Therefore, I had to wait for my shipment to get from FL to CA. Not a problem. I don’t get riled up over an RMA, they are just not fun. After they got the RMA, they contacted me that very day.

The memory was EOL (end of life). They didn’t make it anymore. Even though it was a new brand of DDR2 high speed memory just two years ago. But, they offered a substitute. They clearly state they opt to substitute in their warranty both on their website and on Newegg, so this was not a surprise. I didn’t expect the memory to be EOL so fast, though.

I had no problem with a substitution. My issue was, I had another set of the EOL memory in my machine, which was perfectly good.

Patriot accommodated me. They offered to let me send my second set of good memory back, and they replaced it with the new brand of memory. That was a big Hook for keeping me as a customer, and patriot to their company (ya, I know, but I had to pun it). I did not have to suggest they replace it (but would have), they offered, and I graciously accepted.

In addition, once I obtained a tracking number to return my 2nd set of memory, they allowed me to email them that track-number, and they sent me my 2nd shipment out immediately--before mine got to them. Good trust there.

I received the second shipment. Got it in the system. I started experiencing system crashes. Ya, the new memory is bad. Exasperated I contacted Josephine in the RMA department, who I had worked with over this process. She apologized, got me a new RMA number, and offered to email me a shipping label—they are paying for this shipment. (I didn’t have to fill out any forms and email tech-support for the 2nd and 3rd RMA’s—they circumvented that red-tape).

I didn’t get the shipping label—the contacted me, their scanner was broken and they couldn’t create the label. So, they are Fedexing the Memory to me and will let me know when their scanner is fixed—at a later date I can send the bad memory back. Great trust and service here too.

As I indicated, I worked almost exclusively with their RMA department, and a gal named Josephine. They are accommodating, patient, and live up their word in the warranty. Although this has been frustrating, I am thankful that I found a company that has a good product and stands behind it. That is not common, in my opinion.

Often times, I do not ever have to interact with a company’s RMA / Warranty process. That’s good. But when I do, I typically come away from the process hunting for a new vendor, or very loyal to the company.
I believe in Patriot Memory, not for their product quality (which I have been very satisfied with) but for their customer service and warranty. They also publish their phone number clearly on their site. This is important to me too.

Anyway, thought they deserved a few words on my part. We often only ever hear the horror stories. Thanks to Patriot Memory.

Other RMA: I recently had to use Linksys Tech support and RMA process. It was pathetic. The support folks were obviously reading from a book, were not paying attention to my issues and steps I had taken to troubleshoot the product as bad. Etc. Long story short, to get the RMA process rolling was painful. Their phone number is difficult to locate on their site, and they really dislike RMA--this is frustrating for those people with enough technical expertise, and common sense to tag it bad and move on. Their techs like to give you things to “try over time” to deter an RMA. However, once you have the RMA number and the process starts, their system works good. (You get the product in a reasonably short period of time—if you secure with C/C).