1900XTX and Nforce 570?

APieceOfCheese

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Can I use a X1900XTX with the Nvidia nforce 570 chipset?
Or do I need a different chipset?

And if I need a different one can someone recommend a Motherboard compatible with an X1900XTX for around $100-$130?
Must also be compatible with Core 2.

Thanks in advance.

randomizer

Champion
Im pretty sure you can use it just not in crossfire (ie. 2 of those cards).

EDIT: If nvidia didnt allow ati cards as a single card solution they would be cutting their own throats, since there are many ati card owners who want nvidia chipsets.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Really the chipset doesnt matter. it just the bridge between CPU and GPU. Stating that its nvidia just saying nvidia cards will likely run better as they are built for that architecture. if you can just go for the X300 ATI chipset just so you can boast you got an ATI mobo and GFX card it wouldnt hurt.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
They're right nForce 570 will support any PCIe x16 video card. Where you run into limitations is in Crossfire and SLI, the former only working with Xpress 3200/1600/975x and the latter only working w/ nForce 5 SLI. Personally with single video cards I don't think the chipset should matter at all, as long as its relatively new and supports PCIe x16. Neither will bottleneck.

cleeve

Illustrious
Yeah 570 is crap in my opinion because whats the point of going sli if your running at pci-e 8x?

The 570 is solid.

In real world performance, the difference between two 8x PCIe and two 16x PCIe slots is undetectable.

You might be able to see a tiny difference in certain high-resolution benchmarks, but you'd nebver notice it in real life...

randomizer

Champion
Even pcie 4x is adequate for most people. Assuming they bought the asrock 775dual-vsta of course. Its like comparing agp 4x-8x, there was little difference there because the bandwidth of agp 8x was much more than any card could use. However if you were building a high end system with a high end card you would at least go pcie 8x to ensure enuf bandwidth.