Help a newbie!! I have an ati hdtv tuner and....

crazyfool42

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
am trying to figure out how to set it up and get it running on windows media center 2005. please help ive been at it for hours.
thanks

crazyfool42

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
ah yes sorry. well i just built a new computer with the help of a friend. here is what i got:

amd dual-core 4200+ am2
ECS ka3mvp mobo
1gb (2x512mb) ddr2 800
saphire x850xt video card
antec sonata II case w/ 450watt Power supply
seagate 320gb

running windows media center 05'. i remember having trouble setting up the ati hdtv tuner on my old pc (xp pro) but i got it to work. now i cant get it to work at all on this new pc and have been at it for almost a week :? its frustrating. i appreciate any help.

i have done a clean install of the ati drivers, mce drivers and nothing.

crazyfool42

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
its cool i need to rant on too...who knew it would be so frustrating to install a tv tuner. im shocked that you had problems 3yrs ago and to this day ati has done nothing to solve that issue. i should just do what you did and go somewhere else. thanks

chrispyski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I worked on a similar setup to this and quickly realized that MCE2005 will only use that tuner if you have a regular NTSC tuner in addition to the HDTV ATI one (I read it in a MCE faq somewhere). I know it's stupid, but it's how Microsoft set up the OS. I've read once that there are ways around it though (you could probably google it or something).

I know it's stupid, and I was growing equally frustrated. Hope my little bit of info is of some use to you.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
You need to download the HDTV Wonder driver for MCE from the ATI website. They have a special driver. If you install the ones off the CD, and install ATI's media application, then it won't work with Windows MCE. What I list here is reminiscent of what I went through. Your experiences may vary.

So, step 1: Uninstall the drivers you've installed from the CD, as well as the ATI media center app if you installed that.

You may need to go into the registry, and wipe clean anything to do with the HDTV Wonder settings (but not an ATI graphics card if you have one!).

Step 2: Install the MCE-compliant HDTV Wonder driver from the ATI web site. You can also get it from the Windows Update site, but only if it figures out you need it.

Step 3: You will probably need to go through a couple of cycles of reboot - find hardware - install drivers - repeat. As long as the MCE driver is on there, though, you'll be able to get it to work eventually.

No, it's not a smooth install. But you can get it to work with some persistence.

Other notes:

- you must install a separate analog tuner (no, the one on the HDTV Wonder doesn't count) for MCE to recognize your HDTV tuner. Otherwise, MCE will act like you don't have any tuners. Or... you can use a hacked driver - check on thegreenbutton for more info - that allows you to use just your HDTV card for both analog and digital TV. The ATI site talks about the analog tuner incompatibility a bit if you look around.

- you can get the remote control working, and it's not bad. In fact, the wireless is kinda nice vs. the line-of-site IR remotes. When you install its driver, be sure not to install the ATI media application, or you may lose MCE compatibility.

Good luck. You can get it to work if you work at it. If you struggle, post back and I'll look up and post the list of devices and drivers I have running. Not accessible at the moment.[/list][/i]

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
One of the hdtv all in wonder cars was discontinued. Next time I head up to the store, I'll see which one that is.

Actually.. you know they're discontinuing all all-in-wonder cards?