Sign in with
Your question

Quick ? about SATA...

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2006 3:31:24 AM

Hi everybody. First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post. This is my first (of hopefully many) so bear with me...

Right now I have a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. I have two hard drives in the compy right now (hooked up via Parallel ATA): a Samsung 160 GB HD & a Western Digital 250 GB HD.

I was checking out my motherboard and noticed on the website for it that I have two unused SATA ports...I'm really big on downloaded content, high-quality photos, and video editing, and my two hard drives are filling up fast.

As a general question....what exactly would I have to do to prepare for a new Hard drive...would it be possible to simply add another in my computer right now...any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated

Also, if there's any need-to-know info I'm leaving out, let me know...I don't know a great deal about computers, but with ur help, hopefully I'll leave some new stuff

More about : quick sata

September 12, 2006 4:27:06 AM

You don't need anything except for a free place to put them. I assume your drive cage can hold 3 or 4 hdd's so all you would need to do is hook the drive up and format it (either using the included tools or disk management works well).
September 12, 2006 5:02:48 AM

For SATA, all you need to do is simply connect the HDD with the appropriate cables and you're good. If you don't like the default drive assignment that windows gives it, you can go through Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and give it a different drive assignment
Related resources
September 12, 2006 5:27:31 AM

No further advice needed. These 2 covered it. Hope you like the speed difference. How big are you gonna go?
September 12, 2006 5:45:14 AM

For video-editing it sure can help to have a high-speed hard drive. Consider the WD Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM, look on Newegg, for some reason I can't get the link correct. Lot more money per GB for it though, but the performance increase sure is nice. <---This link's weird too. I wonder what's going on? (Still works though, just choose benchmark and hit go.)
September 12, 2006 2:42:40 PM

Wow...thanks for all the advice everyone...greatly appreciated

I still have 2 drive bays open, so there's plenty of space to put one in...

In terms of which one I'm looking at, NewEgg.com is selling a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB SATA HD with "perpendicular recording" or something like that...it's going for about $100, which seems like a good price to me

Any other suggestions will still be taken into consideration...if I'm way off-base, just let me know

Thanks again :D 
September 12, 2006 2:47:19 PM

Quick note: When I looked at my motherboard specs only, it said I have 2 SATA ports...does that mean I have space for TWO MORE HARD DRIVES??...would hooking up 4 hard drives to one system tax the power supply or something like that...forgive the "noobie" questions, I just want to sure...the connection on the motherboard looks simple as pie, but is there anything else I should know?

...yeah that's about it. Thanks for any help you can give me :D 
September 12, 2006 3:03:42 PM

2 SATA ports means that you can hook up 2 SATA drives. i seriously doubt that it will tax your PSU as a HDD wont really take up that much power
check out
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/
it should show you an approximation of your power useage, though it is just a rough guide. and chances are you use less because it assumes that you use Peak
!