System won't boot with PVR-150 in the slot

ggking7

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I just got my PVR-150 PCI card, but my system won't boot when it is plugged into a PCI slot. The first POST screen doesn't even come up.

I thought it was a power supply issue, but I unplugged the other three PCI cards, the floppy drive, the DVD burner, the keyboard, the mouse, and the USB devices with the same results as long as the PVR-150 is plugged in. I tried switching the PVR-150's PCI slot too.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

ggking7

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
A goosed card would be OK. An incompatible motherboard would not. The motherboard is a Dell i810E. Unfortunately, I don't have any other desktop systems to test with.

It sounds like a bad card to you?

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Is your system overclocked? If so, does your PCI bus run overclocked?

I don't see any reason the PVR-150 would require more power than three other PCI cards. Though I currently run my PVR-150 in a machine with 550 watts psu, I had tested it in an old DURON with 250w PSU and it worked fine.

Check your BIOS and see if you have are doing any IRQ mapping in BIOS? Try setting to default if you are.

Not posting sounds like hardware, I'm inclined to suspect the card.

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
You said
Well since it's on a Dell that card may be more then the PSU can handle. I think it's more of an underpower issue then it being a bad card.

But the poster clearly said
I thought it was a power supply issue, but I unplugged the other three PCI cards, the floppy drive, the DVD burner, the keyboard, the mouse, and the USB devices with the same results as long as the PVR-150 is plugged in.

You didn't help this poster very much.

I had the same problem (kinda sorta) with a friend computer a few years ago with his Gateway Too Hell. He wanted to add in some card I don't rember what is was at the moment, but turns out that the Gateway Too Hell could not be upgraded.

So let this be a warnning to all those who like to buy off the shelf computers from the BIG manufactures. They don't want you to be able to upgrade their systems! They want you to come back in a few years and buy another computer from them. Learn how to build your own computer it's not hard, it can be a pain in the ass sometimes....

ggking7

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I updated the BIOS and now the system boots perfectly. I'll cancel my RMA with newegg.com. Thanks for everyone's input.

buddha555

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Did you upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard or on the pvr-150? I'm having a similar problem on my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. I've upgraded the BIOS on the motherboard, but I still get the same problems. Tried it in an Asus A7V-133 and it works fine. Can't find a BIOS update for it to save my life though. Is it the middleware download from the Hauppauge site?