Cleaning up leaks on a DeskJet 970 cxi

I called the HP help line and the Indian on the other end, who I could
bearly understand, said he needed the serial number under the printer,
so I turned the printer over --BIG MISTAKE - ink poured out of the
printer on the right side (facing the machine) from around the buttons
and lights, the seams, the lower seams on the right side and from under
the machine on the right side (it looks like it is bleeding black
blood!!). I love the way the 970 functions and would like to save the
printer. Is there a simple way to clean up the mess and restore
function to the printer? I have a supply of latex gloves and am not
afraid to take a machine apart. I would appreciate any suggestions on
the best way to procede on this project and what to use to clean up the
ink (from the spitoon I assume) from the surfaces and from the power
boards inside.

Thanks,

BigGuy1935

Our HP 970 cxi inkflood was so severe that I put the printer in the sink and
ran cold water gently through the case at various angles until the water ran
clear, this took quite a long time. The printer was then left to dry in a
warm place for at least four days, when it appeared to be dry it was
connected to the pc but appeared to be dead, however it slowly regained
functions during the next week and is now operating perfectly.

<bigguy1935@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I would appreciate any suggestions on
> the best way to procede on this project and what to use to clean up the
> ink (from the spitoon I assume) from the surfaces and from the power
> boards inside.
>
> Thanks,
>
> BigGuy1935

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

bigguy1935@yahoo.com wrote:
>I called the HP help line and the Indian on the other end, who I could
>bearly understand, said he needed the serial number under the printer,
>so I turned the printer over --BIG MISTAKE - ink poured out of the
>printer on the right side (facing the machine) from around the buttons
>and lights, the seams, the lower seams on the right side and from under
>the machine on the right side (it looks like it is bleeding black
>blood!!). I love the way the 970 functions and would like to save the
>printer. Is there a simple way to clean up the mess and restore
>function to the printer? I have a supply of latex gloves and am not
>afraid to take a machine apart. I would appreciate any suggestions on
>the best way to procede on this project and what to use to clean up the
>ink (from the spitoon I assume) from the surfaces and from the power
>boards inside.
>
>Thanks,
>
>BigGuy1935

ah heck! But seriously, this is hopefully not as bad as it looks apart from the
ink that may have spilled all over your carpet.
Sounds like you are happy to put in the time and are not worried about
stripping the printer down so here goes...
Latex gloves and lots of kitchen towels are a definite requirement.
The ink will have come from the service station at the right hand side of the
printer.
You need to remove the covers of course, I can't remember exactly how the
covers are attached but I know I have removed them in the past, there are
possibly two screws (need to have the correct screwdriver tip) under the lift
up top cover and the rest of the covers will need to have some clips released
from underneath (more ink on the carpet). Unclip the control panel from the
right hand cover and wash the covers in a sink and dry them or let them dry.
Next, remove the printer from the base if necessary (a few screws) and remove
the black plastic service station, strip down the service station (there will
be a column of solid ink in the service station which needs to be removed) and
wash it and the built in absorber thoroughly having first removed the motor to
prevent it getting wet (one screw), again let the bits dry. Thorough cleaning
of the covers and printer base can be achieved with a household ammonia based
non abrasive cleaner.
If you are lucky the electronics will not have been contaminated. If they only
have a very light discolouration as opposed to being wet with ink I would leave
them alone. The ink that may be in difficult to access places in the printer
can be removed with a small pump spray filled with water but take care to avoid
wetting electrical connections, then let it dry for at least 24 hours, an
airing cupboard is a good place for this but there will be some ink you may not
have seen so put the printer body in a box or similar. If the electronics are
wet with ink then you have little choice but to remove the ink and then make
sure they are really dry (48 hours in the airing cupboard?). You should not
have to dismantle the print unit itself.
I have never seen a service manual for the 900 series printers and suspect they
don't exist (it may be that this is what HP call a surfer unit, ie no parts
available but not sure).
It is a pity that HP (for whom otherwise I have a great respect) did not warn
their customers that service stations on these and older printers require
regular cleaning and that turning them upside down was hazardous to your
furniture.
Good luck, let us knowhow you get on.
Tony

When you did this, did you first crack the case? did you do anything
to protect the circuit boards inside? Or, did you just empty the paper
tray, remove the ink cartridges and proceed with the bath?

BigGuy