E6600 Showing as a SINGLE Core! If OCed more than 3.06GHz

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 12, 2006 9:20:48 AM

Ok,

For a NoOB, I am very careful with any changes I make. I read plenty before taking a step and only perform it knowing it is safe and others have treaded the path before me.

The first OC I did with E6600 on the P5W DH, fsb 320, memory running at its full 800Mhz, no problems, 24/7 stable with orthos, prime95, I was a happy camper for my first outing.

Tried 3.06Ghz, very difficult to get it stable, I ran orthos for about 6 hours which was great, decided to go a little higher, 360Fsb, everything is fine except that Speedfan, Orthos, CPUz, even the bios doesnt have the core count when posting. Just one core! How is this possible? A bug or I have accidently killed one of the cores?

When return to the 320 fsb or even 340 fsb, bios and programs report dual core.

here is my setup

E6600 1401 Bios (just updated) previously 1305.
P5W DH Deluxe
Corsair twin2x2048-6400C4
Audigy 2 Zs Pro
320G Seagate

I have never raised memory voltage over 2.10, and vCore 1.425 was the max I have tried. Other max voltages, MCH 1.65, FSB:1.30, ICH:1.20.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

More about : e6600 showing single core oced 06ghz

September 12, 2006 9:53:07 AM

One core is failing miserably, so I figure you need more cooling and some more volts..
September 12, 2006 10:47:21 AM

Quote:
One core is failing miserably, so I figure you need more cooling and some more volts..

Well, I am not sure if its a cooling issue, idle temps at 3.24GHz is 27'C at 1.425 Vcore. and while running Orthos it goes up to 39'C. So the cooling is working. I think its a RAM and Mobo issue causing it. Not many people seem to use my type of memory with this motherboard, most are using G.skill, OCZ or something else. So I dont have many people to compare to, it seems. I am really guessing at everything, not really sure whats happening, I hope wusy looks at this and comes up with somehting. No one else has reported anything like this, I have looked everywhere.

THanks for the help
September 12, 2006 10:50:58 AM

You shouldn't be overclocking the ram at the same time, use lowest possible multiplier.

But anyway, you might just have a less OC-able cpu, that's all. Not all of them reach 4ghz.. Toms probably even received a supreme quality sample as part of intels marketing.
September 12, 2006 11:40:06 AM

Quote:
You shouldn't be overclocking the ram at the same time, use lowest possible multiplier.

But anyway, you might just have a less OC-able cpu, that's all. Not all of them reach 4ghz.. Toms probably even received a supreme quality sample as part of intels marketing.

You are probably right. How do I change the multiplier? I havent worked it out in the BIOS :( . I am hoping for around 3.3Ghz, that was the target I had set before I put together the system, didnt think I would run into such a problem after such an easy first overclock. Considering the load temperatures I am getting, my goal should be achieveable, only if my CPU doesnt turn out to be a dud.

Thanks for the help matey

here si the full rig in case it helps:

with a little more vcore and vdimm it can be stable at 3.06Ghz, but anything above that and all I get is a single core. Even if I up the vcore, vdimm etc.

E6600 @ 2.88 on Air, Prime95 and Orthos beta 24 hours burn in, Superpi 32k 17m55s.
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, 1101 Bios
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 @ 800MHz
ASUS 7900GT
Seagate 320G SATA II 16MB
2 x Pioneer 111D
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Chemei 22" LCD
Gigabyte Aurora FSCA1 case
Thermaltake TP 600W PSU with 120mm fan
Logitech X530 Speakers

Cooling:
3 x 120mm fans and Blue Orb 2

Current Settings:
FSB: 320, Dram Frequency: 800MHz
vCore: 1.35v, MCH: 1.55v, PCIe: Auto,
PCI: Auto, ICH: Auto

Temperatures:

Room Temperature approximately 20-22C

idle: CPU 22C, MB: 42C
Load: CPU 33C, MB: 43C
September 12, 2006 12:31:34 PM

I thought about another thing, your Northbridge might be overworked also.
If you can reduce it separately to defaults you should.

Ram mutliplier is usually described as 200mhz, 333mhz, 667mhz etc.

Usually works like this; if you are running at 200mhz ram, and you overclock the FSB to 300mhz, but don't touch rams, they end up running at 300mhz (600 effective), even though BIOS says 200mhz.

It may differ slightly, use sisoft sandra to figure out what the rams are running at etc. Few motherboards can lock Membus, if any nowadays.
September 12, 2006 5:44:13 PM

It is possible for both the cores on your chip to have different OCing properties.. i.e. one could easily go to 4 Ghz but the other will stop OCing stably much earlier...
September 12, 2006 8:10:52 PM

Quote:
It is possible for both the cores on your chip to have different OCing properties.. i.e. one could easily go to 4 Ghz but the other will stop OCing stably much earlier...

A plausable explanation, but I guess I am trying for a means of verifying if that or something else is the case. I will try different BIOS settings and see if that has some effect. I have invested enough that if I have no luck I might just try a new chip altogether. I will give myself 2 weeks to come up with a plausable and hopefully proven explanation. There is another person posting with a problem where their second core never shows up when overclocked, so at least mine does to a point. I guess the headache problems such as these cause, I love investigating the causes and trying to find reasons, so thats part of the fun :) .

Thanks for the support guys
September 12, 2006 8:17:58 PM

Quote:
I thought about another thing, your Northbridge might be overworked also.
If you can reduce it separately to defaults you should.

Ram mutliplier is usually described as 200mhz, 333mhz, 667mhz etc.

Usually works like this; if you are running at 200mhz ram, and you overclock the FSB to 300mhz, but don't touch rams, they end up running at 300mhz (600 effective), even though BIOS says 200mhz.

It may differ slightly, use sisoft sandra to figure out what the rams are running at etc. Few motherboards can lock Membus, if any nowadays.

I'll try what youa re suggesting, the funny thing is that I OCed to 3.4Ghz and even ran a 32m Pi in just over 16 seconds when I first got teh system, but I never noticed if it was showing as single core or dual, I only noticed when i started using speedfan a few times instead of probe II, and Orthos also has separate calculations per core. With Orthos I have noticed that one core seems to perform the same test slighty faster than the other, and according to Core Temp, one core is slightly hotter than the other, about 3'C, but I have seen such figures with others in forums.

I think this problem is something very simple rather than something major, for that reason it will be difficult to solve. :( 
September 12, 2006 8:48:48 PM

If you revert your bios back to 1305 does it show the same problem? I have the same board, chip and ram. I am @ 3.2ghz with no problem. All though I have not tried the 1401 bios yet.

Oh also a question? Where can I find the Ortho's Benchmark Software?
September 13, 2006 5:20:09 AM

Quote:
If you revert your bios back to 1305 does it show the same problem? I have the same board, chip and ram. I am @ 3.2ghz with no problem. All though I have not tried the 1401 bios yet.

Oh also a question? Where can I find the Ortho's Benchmark Software?

It originally happened with 1305, I tried 1401 to see if it fixes it. I havent had a chance to try an further experimentation, but either way I will get to the bottom of it :) . here is the link to orthos for dual core and hyperthreading.

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

btw do you have Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS? I have a feeling this little bas**rd has something to do with it. On my previous system the zs 2 died and made some funny things happen, I just thought last night that its the only addition I have made that was after the system was tested and put together. Prior to the sound card installation I ran as much as 3.4GHz and got some nice readings. I think my next step will be to removed it from the system.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2006 6:05:56 AM

I find it hard to see how the sound card would prevent detection of the other core, but its worth a try to remove it. You are making sure the pci-e bus is locked at 100mhz?
September 13, 2006 6:48:47 AM

Ok!

Let me start off by saying the problem has been SOLVED!! WOoT :D 

Now, it had nothing to do with the sound card as mentioned above. It was a couple of things combined, but let me say, wow! this CPU is smart. It seems to allocate the work in a manner that is best for performance. If there is not enough voltage it will use one core to full capacity rather than trying to run both cores unstable. I think the Asus board has something to do with it too as this smart feature was not really apparently in previous versions of the bios prior to 1305.

To solve the problem, I slowly upped the Vcore until I saw both cores. It happened at around 1.435v, but could not load XP, so I upped it slowly until I reached 1.485v, which is now running the system with BOTH cores.

here is a little picture with a Super Pi 1m completed. Let me tell you guys, I am a happy man :lol: 

Thanks for all teh help and input. Now I will continue with experimenting and see what I can come up with. Oh and also, I locked PCI frequency at 33.3, that may have helped too.
September 26, 2006 7:24:56 AM

I want to know if you were able to overclock both cores or if you were simply able to get both cores operating? I am able to see both cores with no problems. My problem seems to be that only the second core will overclock. I was talking to my buddy and he is having the exact same issue. He is useing an Intel board and I am useing the asus p5 deluxe board. I am running the e6300 and he has either the 6400 or 6600. I forget which but the problems are the same. What I first want to know is if I have a problem or not. We were both under the impression that only the second core could be overclocked since we both are having the same issues. So if both cores can be overclocked then I need to look at my core voltage? I was playing with that earlier this month and had it pretty high with no change in the first core. As of right now I am just useing the default overclock profile in the bios set to 30%. It runs smooth as butter so I would love to go higher if I knew what I was doing. I have a water cooled system so I'm not too worried about temps. Right now I idle at around 34c and load not much higher. I also have my video card cranked up to max overclock too without any issues as it too is also water cooled.

Off topic but I wanted to share this...some motherboards seem to get awefully crowded with dual video. By running a water cooled system you can strip out all the fans and get your vid cards to take 1 slot instead of 2. This makes a lot of room in the case if you need those other slots.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2006 6:12:12 AM

Its possible that one core was so unstable that it didnt function at all and so that is why it wasnt being detected, but still, you shouldnt need that much voltage to get it to run at 3.06ghz.
September 27, 2006 7:34:20 AM

OCZ gold 4,4,4,12 I think are the specs. 2 x 1gig sticks.

I followed a guide that didnt exactly match up with my motherboard but was pretty close. Some of the settings the guide had I didnt. There were some voltages that didnt match up with mine. I do have a very extensive core voltage list but adjusting any of those didnt seem to matter one way or another. In all of my tweekings I never once saw the first core increase in speed. Maybe there was a setting I forgot to apply or something. I also didnt seem to find any multiplier adjustments for my board. All I can see are voltage and fsb adjustments.
!