Sign in with
Your question

quad-core motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
September 12, 2006 1:09:39 PM

Hi everyone

According to my reading so far, quad-core cpus are likely to be available from Intel either this quarter or next, and Vista is likely to come out in the first quarter of 2007.

Are there motherboards out there already designed with both quad-core and Vista in mind?

I am about to begin a build, but wonder whether going with a Core 2 Duo processor and compatible board (eyes are on the Asus P5B Deluxe) now will leave me with upgrade issues next year? Is it best to wait and see how the market plays out?

More about : quad core motherboards

September 12, 2006 1:37:35 PM

Hi Yarberger,
from what I read most motherboards with a 965 or 975 Intel will work. However in Tom's article, it states they ran it with a really high FSB. That may be a limiting factor.

I wonder if Nvidia 590 chipset will support quad cores....
September 12, 2006 1:51:41 PM

Good question - and I have no idea as to the answer. Better do some more reading!

I know that Core 2 Duo processors will be just fine for the foreseeable future in terms of performance, but I'm a bit worried that there may be a race to the finish between Intel and AMD with quad-core technology, and that dual-core may end up only being a stop-gap measure. I don't want my build to be caught in this limbo situation!
Related resources
September 12, 2006 7:15:15 PM

Abit is listing their new AW9D/AW9D-MAX boards as C2D quad ready. Heard the boards are supposed to arrive at retailers this week.
September 12, 2006 7:36:23 PM

That's fantastic. Thanks very much for the info!
!