Athon XP Diagnostic Tool?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows XP
  • Software
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 12, 2006 1:39:31 PM

Hey everyone, what software would you recommend to test an Athlon XP CPU? It seems my wife's machine is half dead... its much much slower than it used to be, and seems to be getting worse. We've recently reformatted the machine. Once upon a time, the CPU did routinely idle around 60-65 degrees C... perhaps it was fried? THANKS!

More about : athon diagnostic tool

September 12, 2006 2:41:27 PM

Remove unnecessary services from running on startup, u can use sysinternal's autoruns, but make sure what u are doing, certain services are needed for windows to run properly...Everest or SiSoft Sandra, both have basic, free version to test your pc....install latest hardware drivers and directx...also if you know how to clean thermal paste and put a new layer of it, than please do so...
September 12, 2006 2:43:15 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone, what software would you recommend to test an Athlon XP CPU? It seems my wife's machine is half dead... its much much slower than it used to be, and seems to be getting worse. We've recently reformatted the machine. Once upon a time, the CPU did routinely idle around 60-65 degrees C... perhaps it was fried? THANKS!

I really doubt your cpu is the problem. This sounds like it's more likely a slowly dying hdd as this can definately slow your system to a crawl and generally a cpu will either run or it won't(although an excessively hot cpu may just be unstable). The temps you mentioned, although on the warm side, would not fry your cpu as AMD even claims XPs can run over 80c. Try using a hdd diagnostic utility from the manufacturer instead.
Related resources
September 12, 2006 2:59:50 PM

Quote:

check your bios to see how's the fsb. Some motherboards after an unsuccessful boot reset the fsb to 100, reducing speed.
September 12, 2006 3:17:59 PM

clean it..there is dust on the heat sink.......remove it carefully and clean it....the high temperature may be a cause of low performance...
September 12, 2006 3:20:09 PM

Quote:
clean it..there is dust on the heat sink.......remove it carefully and clean it....the high temperature may be a cause of low performance...

athlon xp's have thermal throttle?
September 12, 2006 3:29:29 PM

Quote:

athlon xp's have thermal throttle?

whaaaaaaaaattt..you must be smoking dust man.....what the f** is wrong with you......thermal throttle he said...mmmmmmmmmmmaaaann...on what planet did you live before....wake up.....is the computer has a certain age ....the heat sink is most probably stuffed with dust......and the cpu is in pains...overheated

all the coolers must have air circulation ..if dust gets inside the cooler (you know what i mean) the temperature of the cooler + cpu increases alot (hard to tell how much)...........

these problems are extremelly common with used computers.....
....and the problems start to emerge...restarts...hangs.....slow performance...

also the video card has similar problems over age ..dust gets into the cooler and bye bye..........

well and the story continues
September 12, 2006 3:33:41 PM

i know man, but the point is: an athlon xp doesnt have thermal throttling, that means if it's overheating it will either reboot or crash, not become slow.
But you're absolutely right about cleaning all the dust.
September 12, 2006 4:10:47 PM

Thanks everybody... the CPU has Arctic Silver 5 on it and it was cleaned pretty recently... (those air duster thingies are great!) I can't remember when I put this heat sink on so I guess I'll clean it off and put a new coat of AS5 it and see if that helps... Any other opinions on diagnostic SW?
September 12, 2006 8:48:24 PM

You certainly want to try to get the temp down a bit, but what is the state of the disk? Is it out of free space? Have you checked for virus's and spyware? Becoming slow wouldn't have to be hardware related, and the first thing I'd check is the OS, spyware, and disk space, not the hardware.
September 13, 2006 12:50:44 AM

best way to make an old machine run faster again.... and this is always my first answer.

back up any files you want to keep and reformat/reinstall windows...

those temps dont sound to high for an XP - certainly there are cooling solutions that will make the CPU run cooler... but anyhow

try not to install to many extra programs... there is ALOT of crap out there on the internet, simple fact is, you dont need hardly any of it

you can try to remove programs you have now that you dont use, try to find a decent regestry scanner, remove old unwanted crap, clean out your TEMP files, look in you anti virus vault and recycle bin (clear those out)
run defrag etc etc etc, still nothing ever really helps like a fresh install of windows

im not discounting anything already said here, but you haven't mentioned odd errors and such things, just getting slow (which means it used to be faster)

My $0.02
September 13, 2006 12:15:36 PM

Thanks everybody... I agree on the "fresh install of windows is the best solution" thing - some people think i'm insane for saying just the same thing, but in my experience, nothing quite works the same... I guess we'll just have to do that on her machine, temps are now holding pretty steady in the high 40's-50's (new AS5, and another go-over with the air duster). I guess no matter what you do a computer is never fast enough... well unless you want to spend a fortune...
September 13, 2006 7:31:58 PM

Find out what brand your HD is and see if there are any diagnostic tools you can download from the manufacturer. Run them and see what comes up.

How much RAM does the system have?
!