Sign in with
Your question

need opinion on my upgrading list: c2d e6300 or e6600?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 12, 2006 1:46:17 PM

hi all! i want to know your wisdom opinion on buying core 2 duo, from this two cpu: e6300 vs e6600.

for your information, i have this p4 2.4ghz cpu and want to upgrade to a newer one, but i still want to use my agp vga card and ddr memory, also don't want to go overclocking. the system will be much used to multitasking: recode dvd to mp4 or avi, playing no so out of dated 3d games such as need for speed most wanted, office application, internet, scanning viruses, scanning & a bit of photo editing, and much more.

here is my current the specification:
cpu - not decided yet whether it will be c2d e6300 or e6600
pcb - asrock 775dual-vsta
ram - corsair vs1gbddr400 (2 sticks)
vga - his ati radeon x1600pro 256mb ddr2 agp
hdd - western digital caviar se 120gb sata II

with the above hardware i have right now:
1. which will be the best bang for the buck in a long run (2 years from now)? which from both of them still fast comparing to the future windows vista operating system and the quad core processor from amd and intel? or will both of them still competitive in performance?

2. which will be the best bang for the buck in an upgrade path (2 years from now) to quad core or even more?

3. from your experience, should i go with e6300 or e6600 with the above hardware i already hold in hand?

i always want to have a c2d e6600 but the price differentation of e6300 & 6600 is quite big (e6600 = US $338 while e6300 = US $193) here in surabaya, indonesia.

i'm kind of confuse right now and your opinion would encourage me much on deciding my cpu upgrade.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance! :) 
September 12, 2006 2:22:26 PM

I think the big question is ............
How CPU constrained are you now?

What do you think the E6600 will be getting you?

Setup History in TaskMgr to see what the CPU runs when doing your heavy tasks.

Personally, I wanted the E6600 but I will be building a system soon and I will be going with the E6300.

The E6300 is FAR faster than what I have now on the system being upgraded. (P4 3.0)

In a year I expect to be able to get a E6800 close to the cost differential now.

Personally, I never get the latest greatest but fit my needs.

Also what GPU are you buying?
Assuming your budget is limited, the money may be better spent there since most people find the system limits in games.

Perhaps you could upgrade your drives from 7200 to a Raptor for the cost difference which may help more since again disk access may be the slowest item in your PC.

Me? I'm just gonna pocket the money and go blow the money on some other toys.
September 12, 2006 2:44:20 PM

Quote:
I think the big question is ............
How CPU constrained are you now?

What do you think the E6600 will be getting you?

Setup History in TaskMgr to see what the CPU runs when doing your heavy tasks.

i'm not into any overclocking. i like to have beast cpu if i can afford it. i think e6600 would give this strange feeling of being a triumph over the athlon fx 62, though i really like the amd micro architecture. from the task manager, the processor would be around 100% loaded if i do nero recode stuff from dvd movie to mp4 and some games such as need for speed most wanted and so on.

Quote:
Also what GPU are you buying?
Assuming your budget is limited, the money may be better spent there since most people find the system limits in games.

i'm going to use my current x1600pro agp vga card. i will purchase new pci express vga with the directx10 shows up, but that will be a year or two ahead. i only have this US$338 left. hehe.

thanks for your opinion. :) 
Related resources
September 12, 2006 3:01:34 PM

Quote:
hi all! i want to know your wisdom opinion on buying core 2 duo, from this two cpu: e6300 vs e6600.

for your information, i have this p4 2.4ghz cpu and want to upgrade to a newer one, but i still want to use my agp vga card and ddr memory. here is the specification:
cpu - not decided yet whether it will be c2d e6300 or e6600
pcb - asrock 775dual-vsta
ram - corsair vs1gbddr400 (2 sticks)
vga - his ati radeon x1600pro 256mb ddr2 agp
hdd - western digital caviar se 120gb sata II

with the above hardware i have right now:
1. which will be the best bang for the buck in a long run (2 years from now)? which from both of them still fast comparing to the future windows vista operating system and the quad core processor from amd and intel? or will both of them still competitive in performance?

2. which will be the best bang for the buck in an upgrade path (2 years from now) to quad core or even more?

3. from your experience, should i go with e6300 or e6600 with the above hardware i already hold in hand?

i always want to have a c2d e6600 but the price differentation of e6300 & 6600 is quite big (e6600 = US $338 while e6300 = US $193) here in surabaya, indonesia?

i'm kind of confuse right now and your opinion would encourage me much on deciding my cpu upgrade.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance! :) 

1. Both E6300 or E6600 will have more than enough "power" to run VISTA. The bigger issue with VISTA is RAM...2GB being a good base to shoot for....1GB works okay, but once you start gaming, etc. that will get eaten up fast. Just idling in VISTA, with a lot of services/start-up apps disabled, my machine has ~32 services running..using between 330-400MB of RAM vs 16 services/~110MB RAM with XP Pro. It is a memory pig.

2.Upgrading to quad-core does not have any dependancy on whether you have the E6300/E6600. The motherboard/BIOS will be the determining factor. I'm not really sure about the ASRock's chances of running a Kentsfield(i haven't heard of VIA chipsets supporting it).

3. Your choice will depend on your desire for overclocking(with that motherboard). Normally, i would suggest a lower model..E6300/E6400 because of the lower multiplier, and the chips ability to still hit good speeds(2.5GHz+). The ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA presents a problem with overclocking, as most reviews show <300MHz FSB Max. On an E6300, that equates to 2.1GHz max. There are volt mods that can be performed on that board, but most people aren't comfortable doing that. With an E6600, 300x9 gives you a much more satisfying/better performing 2.7GHz..combined with an extra 2MB cache.

IMO, even though the ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA is a great budget choice, pairing it with an E6300 isn't such a wise choice(if you plan on overclocking). GL :) 
September 12, 2006 3:17:28 PM

Well if you do a lot of DVD Encoding and you don't like over-clocking, I would definately get the E6600. You will see the difference.

For me, my system will be more RAM constrained for what I am doing and hence will be going with 4gb of RAM and the slowe CPU. For 99% of people, 4gb is over kill, but I will be doing virtualization where I need memory for many concurrent processes, but the speed in which the processes are completed is less important.

I "Want" the E6600, but will likely go with the E6300 because like you I don't like over-clocking too much. With the strong scalibility of these chips and AMD's upcoming 65nm, Quad-Cores, etc... Intel will be forced to start selling chips clocked higher in about 6-12 months and this will bring down the price of the current E6800 into a far lower price range.
Luckily for Intel, they are just sitting there with a fully loaded arsonel just waiting for the white's of AMD's eyes before they fire this next shot.

I'm not an Intel or AMD Fanboy, just an enthusiast who is excited that after a lull, there is another performance war heating up.
September 12, 2006 3:17:33 PM

wow thanks 1Tanker, that's answering my question enough! :)  i think i'm a bit moved to the e6600 now. hehe.

i was planning to buy e6600 processor this afternoon, but when i reached the retail store, it was just sold out. the only left cpu is the e6300 and the e6400. the e6600 will be back selling tomorrow (shipped from jakarta). the situation made me unable to decide to choose an e6300 or e6600. so i decided to wait for tomorrow and post a help request on deciding cpu upgrade in this forum.
September 12, 2006 3:25:11 PM

wow 4gb of ram, cool! i actually felt the performance was up when i upgrade my 1gb to 2gb. wonder what would it feels when it comes to 4gb ram. hehe

based on your opinion and 1Tanker's, the e6600 gets 2 points up.

so the current result for me would be: e6300 vs e6600 = 0 - 2.
September 12, 2006 3:33:13 PM

For you? Probably nothing. Once you system has all of the memory it needs, adding more does little.

I just upgraded my Desktop Replacement Laptop from 1gb to 2gb and that was nice. Going to 4gb even if possible, would not get me much for what I do with it.

I am building a Semi-Server that will be running Windows 2003 Server as a host while running Linux as a gues OS at the same time. I will probably have Web Servers, SQL DBs, and other processes running all of the time to help with various development and testing tasks. I would also likely have Guest PC operating systems such as XP and Vista running too.

All of this will be too much for even 4gb, but going to 8gb is $$$.
I will likely off-load some of this to my current P4-3gz 2GB system.

However, what I don't want is to have 14 boxes in my office.
I want to limit the number to 2-3 systems if possible.
September 12, 2006 3:54:59 PM

i wonder what do you do at the office so that you can easily upgrade for only in one year ahead. i would also love to work at your office if it's possible.. :p 

with the multicore processor coming up, you will get what you desired at the office. thanks to amd and intel!
September 14, 2006 8:46:52 PM

here i am with new rig.. the most satisfaction i get instead of the e6300 is the thermaltake armor jr. chassis.

oh my god, the look of it makes me feel i;m riding e6800! :lol: 
especially the front and rear 12cm fans.. very cool'n'quiet chassis.

thanks for all opinion who involved in this upgrade decision!
!