playing avi files in media player?

January 15, 2005 11:28:10 PM

Is it possible to play avi files in the media player?
I now have another program for these files, but shouldn't it be possible to
use media player instead?
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:28:11 PM

Windows Media does not support .avi files.

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"Marbro" <marbro2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o eYL9ez%23EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Is it possible to play avi files in the media player?
> I now have another program for these files, but shouldn't it be possible
> to use media player instead?

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:18:26 PM

Betaplayer 0.093 or later plays AVI files :
http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/download.html

But be advised, most AVIs are much larger than a compressed format
like realvideo or windows media (unless they use the DivX codec). But
if you must play AVI, then betaplayer is a good choice, as it can also
play MPEG4 files. The memory footprint is pretty small (~550k or so),
so installing in main memory isn't unreasonable.

Cheers - Neil

!