VERY SLOW LAPTOP -dell

I have a dell laptop 540 lattitude with 40gb hdd and a celeron
processorrunning windows xp pro, it has got to the point where it has become
unbearably slow and i think the easiest thing to do is wipe it and start
again, i tried the back up to copy my 9gb of personal files across multiply
CD's but it doesn't seem to support this. I don't really want to go to the
extreme of buying a back up drive at this point so would like to back up some
other way and then format the drive. Also any tips whilst im starting with a
clean drive of things to keep it healthy, up to speed and free of spyware.
Im currently runing Spybot and nortons internet security with anti-virus.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Dont put all your eggs in one basket with spyware removal tools. I run 3
different programs for spyware removal.
Spybot is great, but try some other free tools like Adaware SE, and
PestPatrol. Keep your Internet security upto date, but also do some security
configuring with in that program.
Windows updates are a must.
Make sure you are not running Windows XP SP2's firewall and your nortons
firewall at the same time .. that could cause some serious issues.

#/DT

"philip Merry" wrote:

> I have a dell laptop 540 lattitude with 40gb hdd and a celeron
> processorrunning windows xp pro, it has got to the point where it has become
> unbearably slow and i think the easiest thing to do is wipe it and start
> again, i tried the back up to copy my 9gb of personal files across multiply
> CD's but it doesn't seem to support this. I don't really want to go to the
> extreme of buying a back up drive at this point so would like to back up some
> other way and then format the drive. Also any tips whilst im starting with a
> clean drive of things to keep it healthy, up to speed and free of spyware.
> Im currently runing Spybot and nortons internet security with anti-virus.

Any suggestions on free software that will allow me to copy large files
across mulitple CD-r's so i can back up my 9gb before wiping the drive.

"Dave" wrote:

> Dont put all your eggs in one basket with spyware removal tools. I run 3
> different programs for spyware removal.
> Spybot is great, but try some other free tools like Adaware SE, and
> PestPatrol. Keep your Internet security upto date, but also do some security
> configuring with in that program.
> Windows updates are a must.
> Make sure you are not running Windows XP SP2's firewall and your nortons
> firewall at the same time .. that could cause some serious issues.
>
> #/DT
>
> "philip Merry" wrote:
>
> > I have a dell laptop 540 lattitude with 40gb hdd and a celeron
> > processorrunning windows xp pro, it has got to the point where it has become
> > unbearably slow and i think the easiest thing to do is wipe it and start
> > again, i tried the back up to copy my 9gb of personal files across multiply
> > CD's but it doesn't seem to support this. I don't really want to go to the
> > extreme of buying a back up drive at this point so would like to back up some
> > other way and then format the drive. Also any tips whilst im starting with a
> > clean drive of things to keep it healthy, up to speed and free of spyware.
> > Im currently runing Spybot and nortons internet security with anti-virus.

Just reformatting and starting over will not prevent this from happening
again after a time. You need to do good hard drive management, such as
defragmenting and cleaning out spyware and getting rid of junk programs you
no longer use.

"philip Merry" <philipMerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a dell laptop 540 lattitude with 40gb hdd and a celeron
> processorrunning windows xp pro, it has got to the point where it has
> become
> unbearably slow and i think the easiest thing to do is wipe it and start
> again, i tried the back up to copy my 9gb of personal files across
> multiply
> CD's but it doesn't seem to support this. I don't really want to go to
> the
> extreme of buying a back up drive at this point so would like to back up
> some
> other way and then format the drive. Also any tips whilst im starting
> with a
> clean drive of things to keep it healthy, up to speed and free of spyware.
> Im currently runing Spybot and nortons internet security with anti-virus.

"philip Merry" <philipMerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a dell laptop 540 lattitude with 40gb hdd and a celeron
> processorrunning windows xp pro, it has got to the point where it has
become
> unbearably slow and i think the easiest thing to do is wipe it and start
> again, i tried the back up to copy my 9gb of personal files across
multiply
> CD's but it doesn't seem to support this.

The backup program that comes free with Windows isn't the best in the world.
Most other programs support "spanning" over multiple CDs.

> Any suggestions on free software that will allow me to copy large files
> across mulitple CD-r's so i can back up my 9gb before wiping the drive.

I'd actually suggest getting an external hard disk and just shovelling the
files and folders to that, using something like FileSync
(www.fileware.co.uk); this works very well for this purpose (and, it is
shareware). You'll have an easier time verifying the files and it may well
be an easier process. FileSync does not just give up when it can't copy a
file, unlike the MS utilities.

Just set up the drives and FileSync, compare, then send FileSync off to
synch and verify. Go for dinner. Come back and check the logs.

A hard disk of the size you need is not expensive, and USB cases are easy to
get and assemble. Do try to get USB2 hardware, as it's much faster.

HTH
-pk

<Snippage>