no ip address

my Windows xp pro suddenly stopped connecting to the internet
the problem is I have no ip address
when running ipconfig it gives value 0000 for ip address
what could have gone wrong, virus?
and can anyone help me solve the problem
thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about address

    Hi

    Dial-up or Broadband connection? Have you checked with your ISP to see if
    they have any problems? You may be better off posting to the Network_Web
    News Group:

    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web or
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "yaffe" <yaffe@tiscali.be> wrote in message
    > my Windows xp pro suddenly stopped connecting to the internet
    > the problem is I have no ip address
    > when running ipconfig it gives value 0000 for ip address
    > what could have gone wrong, virus?
    > and can anyone help me solve the problem
    > thanks

    "yaffe" <yaffe@tiscali.be> wrote in message
    > my Windows xp pro suddenly stopped connecting to the internet
    > the problem is I have no ip address
    > when running ipconfig it gives value 0000 for ip address
    > what could have gone wrong, virus?
    > and can anyone help me solve the problem
    > thanks

    Go to Start, Run, type CMD. In the command prompt type "ipconfig /renew"
    (note the space).

    Either you will get an new IP address or a clue as to why you can't. Pay
    attention to full text of error messages.

    It can be as simple as a loose cable, including power to the router or
    cable/dsl modem, depending on how you are connecting.

    HTH
    -pk

IP Address IP Windows XP