Need information re refilling the HP Deskjet 6540/HP 96 ca..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
August 27, 2005 10:35:09 PM

I am an old hand at refilling inkjet cartridges. However, I am in
need of some information as I have no exprience with HP printers and
am getting conflicting information from postings and sales personnel.

I am considering replacing my current printer with the HP 6540 and I
know that it has a chip that prevents resetting the ink level
indicator after refilling the cartridge. If all that means is that I
must print after refilling without being able to tell how much ink is
left in the cartridge, I consider that to be a minor inconvenience
that I can live with. However, some people have told me that you
can't print after refilling the HP 96 because the printer will read
the cartridge as empty and disable printing. Still others have
indicated that you can print with a refilled cartridge but, printing
will be constantly interrupted by repeated low ink warnings.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I am hopelessly confused by
conflicting information and ignorant salesmen. Also, is there any way
to reset the cartridge to show it as full? I have read that cycling
several cartriges through the unit with clear the ink reading but, no
one seems to know for sure. Thanks folks for any help you can give.
August 28, 2005 3:03:09 AM

Al Gore <BigAl@aol.co,> wrote:

>I am an old hand at refilling inkjet cartridges. However, I am in
>need of some information as I have no exprience with HP printers and
>am getting conflicting information from postings and sales personnel.
>
>I am considering replacing my current printer with the HP 6540 and I
>know that it has a chip that prevents resetting the ink level
>indicator after refilling the cartridge. If all that means is that I
>must print after refilling without being able to tell how much ink is
>left in the cartridge, I consider that to be a minor inconvenience
>that I can live with.

I can confirm that the #96 cartridge will continue to print after
several refills, but the ink level indicator will continue to show the
cartridge as empty.

I don't know of any way to reset the ink level other than to use another
fresh cartridge.

The best method is to refill before it runs out of ink. Since you can
only guess at the level, and running out of ink damages the printhead,
you need to do it earlier rather than later.

> Still others have
>indicated that you can print with a refilled cartridge but, printing
>will be constantly interrupted by repeated low ink warnings.

I believe the low ink warning will only occur when your turn the printer
on. Once it warns you, it will happily print all day.

>Also, is there any way
>to reset the cartridge to show it as full? I have read that cycling
>several cartriges through the unit with clear the ink reading but, no
>one seems to know for sure. Thanks folks for any help you can give.

The cartridges are "chipped" and can not be reset that I know of, yet. I
believe the data is stored in the cartridge, not the printer, so cycling
several carts does NOT reset the ink level.
September 11, 2012 6:24:54 PM

bill said:

Al Gore <BigAl@aol.co,> wrote:

>I am an old hand at refilling inkjet cartridges. However, I am in
>need of some information as I have no exprience with HP printers and
>am getting conflicting information from postings and sales personnel.
>
>I am considering replacing my current printer with the HP 6540 and I
>know that it has a chip that prevents resetting the ink level
>indicator after refilling the cartridge. If all that means is that I
>must print after refilling without being able to tell how much ink is
>left in the cartridge, I consider that to be a minor inconvenience
>that I can live with.

I can confirm that the #96 cartridge will continue to print after
several refills, but the ink level indicator will continue to show the
cartridge as empty.

I don't know of any way to reset the ink level other than to use another
fresh cartridge.

The best method is to refill before it runs out of ink. Since you can
only guess at the level, and running out of ink damages the printhead,
you need to do it earlier rather than later.

> Still others have
>indicated that you can print with a refilled cartridge but, printing
>will be constantly interrupted by repeated low ink warnings.

I believe the low ink warning will only occur when your turn the printer
on. Once it warns you, it will happily print all day.

>Also, is there any way
>to reset the cartridge to show it as full? I have read that cycling
>several cartriges through the unit with clear the ink reading but, no
>one seems to know for sure. Thanks folks for any help you can give.

The cartridges are "chipped" and can not be reset that I know of, yet. I
believe the data is stored in the cartridge, not the printer, so cycling
several carts does NOT reset the ink level.

I can tell you for certain that once the low level light is turned on, the printer will not print. I have an HP Deskjet 5940 and use Hp 96 carts. I have two carts only used once and even though they are now refilled, they will not work. I have been searching for a way to reset or reprogram the chip level but have not had success. I believe if you refill before the low level is signaled, you can continue to refill.
!