felcas

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Hy please have some patience with me I am kind noob on tech stuff but I would like to clear this out with the more experienced people.

I use my computer for several stuffs at once, from web browsing to photoshop, msn, outlook, windowed games like EVE, FS2004, GPS and GIS software, mapping software, Skype and soo forth.

I read in the article that the autor do not recomend using the new quadricore specific for games, but what about games + dozen of other softwares runing at same time?

I ask this cause I already use 2 displays and lots of software at same time with a very old computer (read P IV 1.7) and I am planing to buy a new one. Normally I dont mind spending money on top of line equipment since I stick with it for years (this one has been with me for around 5 years), off course I dont want to spent money on small performace gains but only those stuff that will really make me feel the diference.

If with 2 displays I already run 5 softwares at once then I imagine what it can be if I make a configuration of 3 or even 6 displays. Ok 6 is a lot maybe only 3 then.

Soo my question is, a quadricore will give me a lot more performace then a dual core considering 3 displays and games+ multiple softwares runing at same time? Or quadri core is really only about software made to use quadricore qich then will use all the performace it can.

Thanks a lot
Felcas

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
No question, multiple cores makes it a lot easier and smoother to run multiple applications at one time. But a dual core will probably satisfy your needs. The number of displays doesn't really impact the number of cores.

If you were running more intensive software like studio max or other 3d animation rendering, then you would most definitely benefit from quad cores, but as is, you will probably find that two cores are sufficient for the number of apps you run. Definitely invest in at least 2 megs of memory though.

Another option you might consider is a Mac Pro. You can run both OSX and XP on it. It has four cores now. Its not the uberest of game machines (because it's memory has more latency), but it would definitely handle the apps you run, and you can add lots more memory to it.

(And down the line, you can open it up and pop in two quad cores, they work in it too).

felcas

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
The number of displays doesn't really impact the number of cores.).

hehehe Sure! I just mean that with 3 displays or even 6 (wich I still consider) I can manage even more aplications and soo the number of running aplications will rise too.

(And down the line, you can open it up and pop in two quad cores, they work in it too).

What you mean? If I buy the proper computer set up with dual core I will be able to replace it in the future with a quadricore?
If that is soo then this is very interesting because I can save some money now with a dual core and when games and other aplications start using quadricore then I just change de CPU.

This came to one more question. Isnt the OS responsible to manage and use the processor capabilities? I thought that the new Windows Vista was able to pull all theperformace a quadricore could deliver same as the dual core.

Thanks by the way
Felcas

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
You need to be more specific in so far as what applicaitons you are going to be running. Some applications sue very little processing power others use a lot. You may or may not see a benifit from four cores, it depends on whether the applicaitons peg the CPU's at 100% utilization or if they use 4-5%... You would also see a benefit if the applicaiton was multi-threaded, but few are at this time (although they are becoming a little more frequent).

In answer to your Vista comment, the OS is responsible for distributing application priorities etc among cores for execution; however it is limited by what the applciations themselves do; it cannot turn a single threaded application into a multi-threaded application nor can it turn a video intensive applicaiton into a processor intensive application.

Really I guess what I'm saying is we'd need more information to say "Yes four cores would be benificial" or "No two cores is plenty". But Core 2 Quadro "should" be a drop in for Core 2 Duo, of course your mileage will vary accoridng to the motherboard manuf.