Delete Win2000

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend notebook have a dual bootup (winMe and win2000). As all of you may know, when you install win2000 after installing winMe, Win2000 will give you a option to choose rather you want to start winMe or win2000. I am planning to delete win2000 right now and keep the winMe. I know most of you liek win2000, but the notebook is too slow for it. So, my friend just want to have winMe right now. Is there way to delete win2000 of the system without reinstalling winMe. WinMe is on C drive, and Win2000 is on D drive. Thank You.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I believe you must bootup with your WinMe startup disk, then at the A:\ type FDISK, then find the partition where Win2K is installed an delete that partition ONLY. Another very nice option is to invest in a program called Partition Magic. DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR WinMe FIRST.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jc14all on 07/26/01 09:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Hmmmmmmmm....

I'm just guessing here, from the one time I let win2k manage my MBR. It seems like the win2k system files are contained on the win98/me partition, so when you boot, it will access those files first, giving you the menu. I bet you can delete the win2k partition, and the boot menu will still pop up, but I'm not exactly sure how long it will run like that. Installation programs under windows are notorious for re-installing system files which are 8.5934848473 parsecs older than those shipped on the original cdrom.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
You didn’t tell what file system your friend or you use for Win2000.

1 - Before to start, make sure that you have WinME CD (Restore CD that came with the laptop).

When in WinME make some preparation:
2 - From Folder Options>View make sure, that "Show all files" is checked, and "Hide file extentions for all..." is unchecked.

3 - Prepare the WinMe <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q267/2/87.ASP" target="_new"><font color=red> Startup disk </font color=red></A>. Or download it (a Win98SE StartUp floppy is not good for copy system files back to C: drive).
4 - Make a second copy of the floppy as a backup. Check the second floppy for no files are marked as hidden. Protect the floppy as read only, and keep it separately.

5 - Not a bad idea as posted above to make an alternative backup of WinME partition, also check where WinME puts its own backup file.

Then begin to delete the Win2000:
- First of all uninstall all the programs from Win2000 if they are installed on another than Win2000 partition.

- If Win2000 is on a separate NTFS partition, use Win2000 CD disk to delete NTFS partition, then FORMAT to FAT32. Remove the CD, reset and the laptop restarts.

- If the Win2000 partition is FAT32,
you just FORMAT from WinME that Win2000 partition.

- In case you or friend have important data also on that partition, you just delete the WINNT folder.

- If any problem on startup of WinME, don't forget to sys the C: drive from the Startup floppy.

- You have to delete boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr, ntdetect.com files in the C: root directory.
- Also delete ntbootdd.sys, hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys if exist on either drive.

Don worry, no harm will be made for WinME and all its program by all those DELETE or FORMAT. :smile: