Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Just got round to installing SP2... it seems to work OK

BUT found ... I have that damn Windows Messenger again ??

Is it simple to get rid of, in the SP2 world ?

TIA
Derek
All email scanned with Norton Internet Security 2004

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

To disable "Windows Messenger":

Open "Windows Messenger" and from its Toolbar select
Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:

"Run this program when Windows starts" and
"Allow this program to run in the background", then
click OK.

Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
"Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
APPLY.

Alternatives:

Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

or

Remove Windows Messenger
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Derek" <xxxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
> Just got round to installing SP2... it seems to work OK
>
> BUT found ... I have that damn Windows Messenger again ??
>
> Is it simple to get rid of, in the SP2 world ?

I used the Doug Knox program above to remove, worked fine with XP-SP2.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks for the information.

I also found that I could uninstall it from the 'Add & Remove Programs'

Derek

"cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Derek" <xxxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
>> Just got round to installing SP2... it seems to work OK
>>
>> BUT found ... I have that damn Windows Messenger again ??
>>
>> Is it simple to get rid of, in the SP2 world ?
>
> I used the Doug Knox program above to remove, worked fine with XP-SP2.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

This will *really* get rid of it, instead of just hiding it...

Quit the program from your system tray. Then run this from your command
prompt:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Rick
> Thanks for the information.
>
> I also found that I could uninstall it from the 'Add & Remove Programs'
>
> Derek
>

> "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Derek" <xxxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
>>> Just got round to installing SP2... it seems to work OK
>>>
>>> BUT found ... I have that damn Windows Messenger again ??
>>>
>>> Is it simple to get rid of, in the SP2 world ?
>>
>> I used the Doug Knox program above to remove, worked fine with XP-SP2.

TRENDING THREADS